8 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

If you could only have one friction call to use. Which one would it be (make/model) & why?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

OK if I had only one friction call it would be a box call. It would be a "World Champion Lynch Box Call" because I have one and it works like a charm for spring gobblers. It was my fathers call. His buddy had a Lynch call that worked very well so he and dad went to many different stores and dad claimed to have gone through 27 different Lynch calls till they found one that matched his buddy's call. I also have a custom glass/slate call made by Heirloom Calls that has some great potential as it sounds very very good. The call came with 4 different strikers and each sound a little different so it could be 8 different calls in one. by next turkey season it may be my favorite call. I cannot percieve of ever having only one call that would be like taking only 1 shotgun shell.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

I make my own slate calls. They work very well for me.

But if I was going to choose a production slate call.

Knight and Hale's Yella Hammer or Perfections Screamin' Demon II.
Posted Image

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

I have the same vintage Lynch box call as Paul. I have to say it is one very sweet sounding call. I am getting into using slate, and glass calls too. I like the idea of being versatile. Some gobblers can be very finicky to differant sounding calls. They might respond to one while completely ignoring all others. I also agree with Paul on using differant strikers on one call. I've got three differant calls and interchange the strikers that came with them. Each has it's own sound and it's like having 9 differant calls.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Im just figuring out which to buy next.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

Scott I would urge you to go to Heirloom Calls website and look at Brians offerings. They look great and sound absolutely great. I carry so many calls in my vest that I waddle when I walk. If I ever fell in the woods I would sound like a whole flock of turkle birds. I also have another custom call that sounds real good. My experience with several mass produced calls was they are for the most part packaged in that darn plastic that you can't get into and cannot even try them before buying them. The custom calls have been tested before you get them.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

Good advice Paul. :yes:

#8 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

Although I've taken birds with mouth, slate, box, and glass calls, I started using a Slate by Knight and Hale a few years back after a session I had with a hen while out taking pictures and calling turkey one morning. Not even sure what model it is. I was in an area next to a suburb where spring hunting isn't allowed. I spotted a hen and called to her. She came up to my tree and had a camo netting over me so I was really well concealed. She walked around me yelping at less than 10 paces and I listened to her crispness of yelp and tone. Then as she walked away looking for me I started yelping back mimicing her call. she sure like what she heard as she came back to my tree again and circled around me. Then left again. I called her back 3 or 4 more times before I finally let her walk off and since then have just tried to imitate what I heard that morning with that call. It's worked fairly well. I don't normally use decoys so it gets a little tense when the birds approach but I like the challenge of taking them that way.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

You know? There's too many calls now adays to even count, but you get right down to the basics, those old 1958 Lynch box calls that me and Paul have have a kind of charm, and sound, that is mighty hard to match. It's hard to even look at mine and not picture a big boss tom strutting and sounding off. Guess the older I get, the more I apreciate old things. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users