More "bling" Than Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex was released today.
(I dual boot Windows and Linux from a second hard drive. ;) )

I can't get over how slick this OS looks out of the box. It's prettier than anything I've ever seen Apple put out, let alone Microsoft.

Posted Image

I'd say they have the majority of the desktop effect bugs worked out these days. Kubuntu (and Ubuntu) Linux has sure come a long way in the year and change I've been playing around with it.

Posted Image

They've also added the ability to install this version onto a flash drive so now you can take it with you to any computer that can be set to boot from USB.

Well, it's only day one. I guess I need to put it through a bit more of a test before I crown it the greatest operating system ever ( :rolleyes: ) or something, but I'm liking what I'm using so far. :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

You sure have my attention with it!

I've not been looking forward to "upgrading" from XP.

I hope this really qualifies.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

Download the "Live Disk" and burn it to a CD or order a copy (it's free either way). You can try it right off the disk without having to install a thing. :)

Of all the Linux distributions out there, Kubuntu is the one to try for someone coming over from Windows or Mac, IMO. (OpenSuse may be second.) Reason simply being it's GUI driven. Many other distros are predominantly command line driven. For the Average Joe every day desktop user that just isn't convenient, fun, or practical. (Hey, I admit it... I prefer launching a graphical user interface and just checking some boxes or clicking some buttons to set things up instead of working a DOS-type prompt too!)

The only thing that doesn't work right out of the box on all three of my computers with this are mostly graphics cards and wireless network cards. (I run ATI and Linksys.) But, it's not Kubuntu's fault. The firmware that these cards utilize is proprietary so it can't be shipped with Linux under GNU. It used to be a bit of a chore to extract the needed firmware from the manufacturer drivers to make the cards work. (Frankly, some newbies probably gave up.) But, with this release (actually started in 8.04) downloading, extracting, and installing the firmware is all done for you in a driver manager with a single mouse click. :D (You just need to have your computer on a wired internet connection to start until you get the wireless card working.)

Outside of that I really can't think of anything else to give anyone a "heads up" about. It looks like WINE (the Windows "Emulator" program in Linux) has even gotten a lot more Windows programs running in Linux. I know when I was running 7.04, iTunes didn't work which had me bummed. But, I guess now it's running on Linux. Virtually every other program I was running on Windows from Dreamweaver to Photoshop already had a free open source equivalent about as good anyway, so there was no need to bring them over.

=======

Concerning Windows... Microsoft is really scaring me these days. I had a hard drive go down a couple weeks ago. Replaced it and did a fresh install... Never even had to enter my Windows product key during install because the computer already had it stored somehow. (Magic Jellybean keyfinder verified it was my key after install.) Mind you, this was Windows XP Pro, but the "Microsoft Valid Software Checker", or whatever they call it, is a part of XP now too. I just wonder if it's going to limit you from re-installing more than 3 times before you have to buy a new copy of Windows the way Vista does. :angry: Regardless, it's a sad state of affairs.

Oh... and one other thing. I took a hard drive out of an old PC that has XP Home installed on it to put into my newer PC while I was waiting for my new hard drive to arrive (warrantied by Seagate :D ) and it did throw the warnings at me about hardware configuration changes needing me to re-activate Windows before three days were up or it would turn into a pumpkin. :thumbsdown:

sig_admin.png

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

Man, I'm excited! I must say that I've hit a snag or two in getting some things set-up right. (It appears that there is an issue in 8.10 with certain graphics cards - big surprise. But, I was able to power through with some help from the kubuntu forums.)

Here's some of my set-up...

Plasma Desktop with custom clock and weather widgets (or as they call them in Kubuntu 8.10 - "Plasmoids"):
Posted Image

Konqueror Web Browser running HuntingResource.com along with a couple other tabbed sites:
Posted Image

Kubuntu 8.10 Coverswitch with opacity change effects (Their version of Windows Vista program shuffling):
Posted Image

And, perhaps the coolest thing I've ever done in Linux...
I present to you you - Adobe Photoshop 7 running fully functional under Wine (Windows "Emulator" for Linux):
Posted Image

I intend to install iTunes 8 sometime tomorrow as that is also supposedly fully functional under Wine. (There are some great jukeboxes n Linux, but none of them have iTunes music store for downloading music!) I must say that Wine has REALLY come a long way since I last toyed with Linux about a year ago. Back then Wine was still in the earlier development stages. Most programs didn't work and it was my NEED for some study reference software (and a couple other "Windows Only" apps that just didn't work in Wine) that forced me back to Windows. Well, Wine is now beyond full version 1.0 and they appear to be rolling downhill building up a full head of steam. (Browse the AppDB of all working Windows programs within Linux via Wine here.) You may want to read up on Wine a little too. It's really not an emulator. (Hence why I keep placing that in quotes.) It's really a native Unix substitute for the components of Windows needed to run Windows applications. So, in theory, there is really no "speed loss" or inherent odd behavior from running your apps in Linux via Wine. (Photoshop is a resource hog and it runs as well in Kubuntu as in XP, let alone Vista for me.)

Still some bugs to be worked out, but then there usually is with the more GUI driven Linux distributions. To date, this is easily the best Linux distro I've ever used for every day "home" use. There's no reason a fairly computer savvy individual with a little patience couldn't run this OS instead of Windows or Mac for all their needs. Oddly, I actually feel some sense of accomplishment in working through the minor issues in setting it up. (Once it's set you're usually good to go 'til next version upgrade. :lol: )

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

I've played with it a little now. It's definitely hardware fussy. So using the Active disk is a fabulous idea for troubleshooting an install (I fully expect mi cro s o ft to steal it and claim it as their own idea.)

It will take some getting used to, and I'm not sure if it's practical for me yet. But I will agree with Jere. Kubuntu is the best Linux pack ever.
Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

I used the chat room using the Kubuntu Active disk today. And I'm writing this post using it.

Yep, this stuff has some serious potential!
Posted Image

#7 Ken

Ken

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Jeremiah

I would also recommend Mandriva for one switching from Windows. Yup it's me Ken, long time no posty, I have used several Distros over the years and have found Mandriva to be one of the easier to install.

Noticed your comment on Wine, so I'll add mine LOL. I have even played World of Warcraft on Linux with the newest versions and surprise it even acts like Windows when starting, program icon on the desktop both in KDE and Gnome. Double click and it just starts right up like it does in Windows. Once downfall is you will need a hefty machine to run and a great video card to handle it, which I have, but it work "out of the box".

I have not sufferred in any way by using Linux these days. Media works great. If you use the free version you still need to go and find the decss package but once it's installed DVD's wil work in al lthe medai players. VLC is great. I even have a stream on demand feature for movies scripted in this for the home network, kids just pick a movie, VLC finds a port and then start the windows version and watch a movie. Future enhanceement is to script it such that you can do all this from an internal web page and VLC wil auto start with the port info and then moive time.

Linux come far i nthe last few years and Iuseit more every day, still have to have windows for work though as there are somethings that just will not work under Linux in the corp world.

Ken
Ken

Always Place The Mission First
Never Accept Defeat
Never Leave a Fallen Comrade

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

Oh my goodness!

I guess this means welcome home???

Regardless, it's great to "see" you. :)

=======

Pretty much couldn't agree more on the Linux front. (I still have it installed and use it often if anyone was wondering. I'm looking at buying a new PC soon. So, I'm holding off on deciding what computer to make it "permanent" on or else it would likely be my every day OS.) I've tried a couple distros... I've just found comfort in Kubuntu and haven't looked further. Maybe one day I'll sit down with a bunch and compare. Mandriva was definitely high on the "to try" list.

sig_admin.png

#9 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Looks sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users