2 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:57 AM

I have a question that I don?t see much written about. When you fletch out new shafts were do you space them from the nock forward? I was told the further back is better for controlling the arrow but in most cases with a four-inch van the move is less than an inch forward or to the rear in the fletching jig. How far from the nock is best for best flight?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

I have always moved the vane or feather as far back as yo can in the jig. This will place it as close to the nock as possible. I have not had any bad arrow flight. Just remember to clean the shafts real good before glueing on the fletching.

MD

#3 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

Putting the vane or feather back toward the nock as close as you can could help flight by a very small percentage. If your a finger shooter you have allow for finger clearence and also with short axle to axle bows because the string angle is so steep. It your shooting with the hen or clock vien up and a short axle to axle bow the string could actualy hit the vane or feather and even have the possibility of pushing the nock off of the string.
I prefer giving atleast 3/4 of an inch between the nock and vane and with shorter vanes this does two things it gives you ample clearence and it also cheats the front of center just a bit.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users