Photo

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

here is what I am considering.

durring a big game seson , in colorado. you are not allowed to carry certain cal. in the field, unless you have a big game tag. 6mm or larger is considered a big game cal.
thus my 243 is considered a big game round on the books, to me it is a coyote/ preditor rifle.

So I am considering getting a 223 for coyote hunting. Thought about a 22 250 but everyone I have talked to says they are hard to get dialed in for accuracy. almost need to develop a hand load for them to get them to do what you want.

Now when I started looking around I came across the savage composit stalk, bull barrel for around 400 bucks. give or take 50 depending what website you read.

then saw a review on the rugar mini 14 ranch rifle. seemed to get some high reviews both in durrability and accuracy. ....

so for yotes the bull barrel would be nice, for some longer range shooting. but the toy factor of the mini 14 ....

I still have a lot of shopping to do before I buy....what's you alls thoughts?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

My son recently bought the Remington 700 VTR in the .223 calibur. Very nice gun, extremely accurate . http://www.remington...del_700_vtr.asp Posted Image

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Perhaps some folks have Mini-14s that are accurate, I won't say it's not possible. But I will say if you get one that isn't accurate, there really is almost nothing you can do to change that.

IMO, if you want an accurate 223 Semi, you best option is to buy a Colt or build an AR-15 from match components. Really, it's cheaper to stick with the bolt gun. ;)

.223 caliber bullets are way more fussy about being matched to the proper barrel twist than larger bores. With the 223 Rem you've got a much larger pool of factory loadings to choose from than the 22-250. Even if you plan on reloading, this is a factor. It's absolutely a bummer to buy a box of bullets you can't develop an accurate load for because your rifle doesn't like them no matter what powder you put behind them. Much easier to find out which bullets the gun likes from factory loads and fine tune your load from there.
Posted Image

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

Jeff that is a nice gun.. couple of questions.

what did he pay ( ball park )
what scope did he put on it?

is he reloading or factory loads...if he is reloading can ya email me the loads he is using?

thanks.

Ohhh I went elk hunting with a buddy the other day. He had 4 season tags. After 3 days of no elk and seeing yotes daily. it became my job to carry the 223 and see if we could call in some yotes. ( yes I have the proper lic )

so we sit up on a draw and I start calling. Wasn't 10 mins. using the primos growler. ( this should be in the review section ) best coyote call i've ever used so far. had a yote come up the draw. Now JT was off on a side shielded by rocks.... I was at the top looking straight down the draw. I watched the yote come up hugging the side rock walls, but came in to fast for me to even alert JT he had a dog coming in.
at 10 yards the yote looks up and see's JT's boots sticking out from behind the bolder, busts and goes.
nothing I could do but watch him run. JT YOU SLEEPING. he looks up in time to see the dog go over the edge of a knoll.

LOL yea I need a yote gun :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

I had a Mini-14 for a few years and took maybe a half dozen song dogs with it, but they were all up close and personal with a light at night using my Bushnell Holosight. I tried a 'scope on the thing and could not get it to group for squat.

As for the Mini-14 "Ranch Rifle", I believe it's a .30 cal.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Bruce
I just bought a Rem 700 22-250 sst bbl. I also bought 3 boxes of factory 22-250 rounds. hornady 55 gr,
rem acu-tip 55 gr and a box of win 55 gr. Went to the range the other day and was really suprised, Hornday shot bulls eye at 200 yards Rem acu-tip shot bulls eye at 200 yards but clover leafed, win shot bulls eye but not as good as the other two. SO I will be buying Rem factory loads.

Ps both rem and Hornday had the v max tip.

Ric

Edited by RicF, 16 November 2008 - 09:06 PM.

PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

Larry, its also in a 223.

thanks Ric.

I need a day off to go shoping :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:23 AM

Seth's 22-250 was deadly accurate with factory loads. I had a CZ 223 that was extremely accurate as well. Either's a great choice. The bull barrel is alot of extra weight to lug around if you're covering ground going after yotes but would sure be a nice extra bonus if you try for praire dogs.
Posted Image

#9 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

Yup, I stand corrected. Just checked the Ruger site and what they used to call the Ranch Rifle is now called the Mini-30 while what used to be called the Mini-14 is now the Ranch Rifle in assorted calibers. I'll see if I can dig out a picture of my old Mini-14 and post it. That was a fun rifle to own.

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Yup, I stand corrected. Just checked the Ruger site and what they used to call the Ranch Rifle is now called the Mini-30 while what used to be called the Mini-14 is now the Ranch Rifle in assorted calibers. I'll see if I can dig out a picture of my old Mini-14 and post it. That was a fun rifle to own.

I remember as well Larry. The term "Ranch Rifle" used to only apply to the 30 cal version. I remember some campfire discussions on the "Mini-14" vs the "Ranch Rifle".

Another totally different option is a 12ga 3 1/2" semi-auto. With the right chokes and loads, I have no doubts, it will smash coyotes out to 70 yards. I know for a fact it will stone turkeys out to 55 yards and that's limited by law to no bigger than #4 shot. With BBs or Ts I feel very confident 70 yards is absolutely possible. You can put a scope on that shotgun and it becomes a very versatile weapon.
Posted Image

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

My only experience with the 223 has been with the M-16. With those I was never very impressed with the accuracy. Plus cleaning time was a real chore. I am sure that with a bolt action 223 you would get the best accuracy and much much less clean up time and many fewer parts. I personally have stuck with the old Rem 222 as there is not all that much difference between the two and I have 2 rifles already.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Well, I found a couple of pictures. The first one is of me (on the left) and my buddy Patrick all suited up for another frosty night of hunting 'yotes.

Posted Image

This second one is of another buddy who went out with me for furbearers. It was my turn to run the calls so he borrowed my Mini-14 with the Holosite on it. It's mounted on a rail over the forend.

Posted Image

Edited by Larry $, 17 November 2008 - 05:12 PM.

#13 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

I've owned a Winchester M70 Coyote in 22-250 w/ a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X44AO, Remington 700VS in 223 with a Millet 6-24X56AO (30mm tube), and a Kimber 84m varmint in 22-250 with a Nikon Monarch 6-18X??AO. All of which I bought new. And all though my farthest kills were with the Kimber, my favorite rifle was the 700VS in 223... absolutely no muzzle jump whatsoever, trigger needed work though. (The kimber's broke like glass.) Even with 2-22-250's, 1-223, and 1-243 the 223 was my favorite small caliber...plus the ammo cost and options. I have photo somewhere... not on this mac right now.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 17 November 2008 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

I have never heard of anyone saying that the 22-250 was hard to load for or to find good factory loadings. I haven't ever had one though so i have to go by hearsay. The only drawback to the 223 though as I see it is that if a 223 won't reach out the 22-250 or 220Swift will. If you really want blisteing speed I would say try a 22Middlestead or 22Cheetta both are almost Identical wildcats. I chose the 220Swift. I will have to say it is almost unreal to see 4000fps on the Chrony, 52gr Hornady HPBT Match over H414.
MR300WM

Edited by Joe, 17 November 2008 - 10:00 PM.

MR300WM

#15 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

Well the longest range I will prob ever shoot is 400 yards. ( plus that is the longest target range I have access too to sight in :) right Larry :)

I have no desire to do the 800 - 1000 yard shooting and if I did it would be with something way out of my price range :)

Something for yotes, and yes Leo I agree, a 12 ga is perfect ...the yote I called in the other day, we could have at at less then 10 yards. would have hated to see what my 300 win mag would have done to him at that range.

I'm really leaning towards the Rementon that Jeff ( Mudduck listed ) seems to be a pretty sweet rifle.
But I need to go shopping and figure out what I want. The rifle will be first with a basic 3x9 scope for now, down the road I'll up grade the optics. I'll keep everyone informed on what I find and what I get :)

I'm already pretty well set on the 223 cal.

thanks for everyone's input and Larry, I can't believe you went out hunting like that LOL
yes I can :) did you have star bucks with you that night too?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users