11 replies to this topic

#1 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hunting for a new carry gun in 45 Cal or just a new gun.
Do youself a favor and check out the new Ruger P345.

Great gun.

Ric
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#2 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

i like my glock but im also lookin at a Ruger 44 mag :D

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:33 AM

Hey Ric, I'm shopping for a .45 auto for concealed carry. I am a Ruger fan and have owned several single action revolvers so I am looking at the P345. I have heard pretty much the same thing from a number of people:

The P345 is a quality, well made gun with a truly horrendous trigger. Heavy and stacks like crazy on the doubleaction cycle. Is this true? One guy also told me that compared to most other autos, field stripping is a bear.

What say you who have shot the P345?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 Kurt

Kurt

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:15 AM

So many to choose from.

I really like Glock but the Mod 21 is really big to carry. You may want to look into a 45 Sig Sauer or HK. They are a little more money than the Ruger but far more accurate and reliable.

As for 44 mags. I have a Colt Anaconda but if I were to do it again I would buy a Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun. They are light weight and great for carrying in the woods. The down size is they have a lot of recoil.

Kurt

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:50 AM

Well, I ended up with an older European model Sig-Sauer P220 in .45 acp. It's a bit big for CC but it fits well. With a form fit plastic waist holster it hides well enough. I have larger hands so most of the smaller concealed carry autos feel like toys and I can't get a good, comfortable grip. The Sig will do.

#6 Kurt

Kurt

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

Good choice Larry. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Sig. Enjoy it.

Kurt

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:05 PM

Larry:
After seeing the sig tonight.....( yea we ended up running into each other at the Bailey gun shop ) I gotta say, I really like it. I'm not use to the europen style but it had a nice feel and all. Cant wait to get a chance to end up at the shooting range and squeeze off a few rounds with her. I think ya did well with that one.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Larry
I have prbly 1000-2000 rounds through the P345. I have shot Wolf ammo, S&B, Winchester, Cor-bon, FMJ and JHP. I have not one FTF of have had one problem with it.
Out of the box at 25 yards I ran 4 mag with Wolf FMJ 230 gr and had all round within a 4 inch circle.

Field striping is for me very simple, once you do it it a snap,

The only draw back is the DA trigger pull it is approx 11 pounds, the SA then reduces to approx 4.5 - 5 pounds.

Ruger has buit this 45 with a camblock which reduces the recoil to approx the recoil of a 9mm. I have a P89 9MM and the recoil from their 45 is about the same.

I really like this gun, matter of fact I use this as my carry weapon..

Ric

Edited by RicF, 02 May 2005 - 08:06 PM.

PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#9 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:18 AM

I just couldn't get excited over the Sig. I don't know why, it was a fine pistol. It just never got me going. So I ended up selling it and now have a Kimber Pro Carry II with the tritium night sights in .45 acp ordered. This one will find a permanent home, I'm pretty sure. :yes:

#10 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

8 months and several thousand rounds later and I am firmly in love with my Kimber. This pistol has become my favorite gun. For Christmas I got the .22LR conversion kit for it and have multiplied my shooting fun a thousand fold. Melody can shoot it now too so it serves a double purpose. It's accurate enough with the .22 conversion installed that it is now my choice for hunting wabbits (it's wabbit season!). But it can be a bit picky on ammo. As recommended, Remington Hyper Velocity or Winchester Super-X works best. Regular .22LR ammo doesn't have enough juice to overcome the hammer spring tension consistently so "failure to feed" problems were common at first.

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

Just an update on my Kimber experience - I am STILL firmly in love with this pistol!!! Still, I continue to have occasional "failure to feed" issues while using the .22LR conversion kit on the .45acp frame. Kimber's answer is that the .22LR ammo can be inconsistent and a "downloaded" round won't have enough energy to cycle the slide completely through to overcome the .45acp hammer (main) spring. So next week I'm taking the gun to a friend of mine who is a former gunsmith and he's going to teach me how to break the thing down and replace the spring. I'll post the results at a future date.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

A lot of fine guns being mentioned. I'm partial to my son's Taurus Raging Bull in .45 Long Colt. With the ported barrel Iam very impressed with how smooth it shoots with hardly any recoil to speek of. It's dead on accurate too. Got to love that gun. :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users