Mathews Raises The Bar...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

I wrote an article on the 2009 Mathews Solocam line-up which can be read by clicking here.

In addition, I wanted to note that there are short video clips found here on the Mathews website. (Click the picture of Matt under the heading "Video Clips") In that particular video Matt McPherson is explaining the "Advanced Vectoring System", which is the heart of synchronization of the new McPherson Series Monster bow systems. The man has never left any doubt that he is truly a great archery engineer. (And if you've ever caught any of his other interviews, you know that he gives all of the glory and credit to God at that. :thumbsup: )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

:clap: :clap: Great review Jeremiah! These bows are making a big stir in the other forums, especially with the dual cam line from Mathews (McPherson and the Mission line). The first reviews of several guys who have shot the new 6.5 Reezen are all very positive critiques and one draw force curve result looked like all the smooth drawing Mathews on paper but with higher energy efficiency.

I'd like to shoot the dual cam Monster and XLR8 Monster just to see if it's like all the other dual cam bows I've shot before. I'd bet it draws better than the others after watching Matt McPherson draw one back while being interviewed. He didn't loose a step in his conversation while drawing it and that demonstrated to me he was not straining through it like some dual cam bows I've shot that caused me to feel like superman afterwards :no: . They draw different than a solo cam to me by loading up hard and fast and hold it before you drop down into the valley and hit the wall.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

I'd like to shoot the dual cam Monster and XLR8 Monster just to see if it's like all the other dual cam bows I've shot before. I'd bet it draws better than the others after watching Matt McPherson draw one back while being interviewed. He didn't loose a step in his conversation while drawing it and that demonstrated to me he was not straining through it like some dual cam bows I've shot that caused me to feel like superman afterwards :no: . They draw different than a solo cam to me by loading up hard and fast and hold it before you drop down into the valley and hit the wall.

I hear you. If you look at the draw force curve of a Binary cam bow, BowTech for example, they are shaped almost like an "M". They ramp up to full weight very hard and fast, give you a little dip, then actually ramp back up again just before you get to full draw. The problem there is that all of the let-off comes in the last couple inches of draw, right after you have just exerted an extra bit of energy to draw the bow. This generally causes the bow to "jerk" the shooter as they draw back the last few inches. Depending on the exact cam, it can be a violent action and anyone with shoulder or elbow issues usually finds it too harsh. Tuning drop-away rests was always a nightmare on a bow like the Allegience, for example. Most customers weren't able to draw the bow without the rest "flinging" the arrow up into the air (usually right off of the rest) just due to the nature of the draw cycle. (They weren't "over bowed"... It was just a crazy harsh draw cycle. :lol: )

I know that I've read and heard of Matt shooting 80, 90, and even 100 lb. traditional bows. So, I don't put a ton of stock in the draw not being stout on the Monsters just because he drew it back without giving himself a hernia. :lol: That said, you can't really fake a smooth draw if the bow has a harsh, jerky draw curve and that bow looked like it pulled back as smooth as silk. If the AVS works as advertised I may own one of these. Of course, I can't imagine going away from a single cam. So, we'll see. :thumbsup:

sig_admin.png

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:51 AM

I've been waiting for you to post this here. ;)

I'm very impressed with the new line up for 2009 from Mathews. I would say this is by far the most complete line in archery. They have something for everyone. Fast single cam bows, super fast single cam bows and now these rocket dual cam bows. And, as Jeremiah said earlier, finally there is a "Mathews" with 80-pound limbs, for those who have been asking for them for years. :clap:

I understand why the dual cam bows were made. The "McPherson Series" tag on the Monster bows is something a lot of people are overlooking. Neither bow is something I'm very interested in, but I would definitely like to shoot them.

The bow that really jumps out at me is the Reezen 7.0. I would be very comfortable with the axle-to-axle and brace height measurements. I don't plan on giving up my Switchback, but I am going to shoot the 7.0. I don't plan on purchasing a new bow in 2009, but we'll see. If I do, it'll most likely be the Reezen 7.0.

Congratulations Mathews on another great line of bow! :clap:

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

Update: I rolled this one into an article and edited the original post to reflect this.

sig_admin.png

#6 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:58 AM

I've been running some numbers on the "On Target" software. I now NEED to get a Reezen!

My current setup produces a little over 70 ft/lb of KE. With a Beman TR MFX 400 (which I'll likely be using in 2009), it would be in the 75 ft/lb of KE range. With a Reezen, I would be right at 85 ft/lb of KE. :blink: :clap:

I never thought I'd see the day where I could get that much KE out of a 70 pound, 28" single cam bow. Nice work Mathews!

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:23 AM

I've been running some numbers on the "On Target" software. I now NEED to get a Reezen!

My current setup produces a little over 70 ft/lb of KE. With a Beman TR MFX 400 (which I'll likely be using in 2009), it would be in the 75 ft/lb of KE range. With a Reezen, I would be right at 85 ft/lb of KE. :blink: :clap:

I never thought I'd see the day where I could get that much KE out of a 70 pound, 28" single cam bow. Nice work Mathews!

You know I saw the same thing mentioned on Mathews forum and I'm interested in the monster bows for the very same reezen. I'm shooting 28" at 69 to 68 lbs as well Chrud but with shooting my Drenalin or DXT I'm not for off the Reezen. Not far enough for me see buying right now. But the monster does raise the bar. As one has said it is in warp speed. I'm waiting to shoot them side by side with the reezen in February when they are supposed to be at the dealers.

The funny thing I saw in magazine was the new PSE advertisement with it's new single cam bows talking about how fast they are but the Reezen solo cam is faster yet. The speed race is on in single cam bows yet.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 22 December 2008 - 04:15 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'm shooting 28" at 69 to 68 lbs as well Chrud but with shooting my Drenalin or DXT I'm not for off the Reezen.

The speed difference from the Reezen's to my Switchback is a fair amount (~17-22 FPS). I'm really impressed that I can get about 15 ft/lb of KE more with a 7.0. It would be closer to 19 with a 6.5 and almost 30 with the XLR8.

I'm just thrilled that I can get that kind of energy from a 70/28 single cam bow. I've already set aside $400 in about a month. I don't plan on shooting either until May, then if I buy I can pay for it without using my tax return.

#9 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Maybe it's just me but doesn't the new monster look always exactly like PSE's X-Force GX? <_<
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

Outside of having insanely pre-loaded limbs, no. :peace:

In fact, I can't recall ever seeing anything even remotely like AVS anywhere before.

sig_admin.png

#11 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:45 AM

In fact, I can't recall ever seeing anything even remotely like AVS anywhere before.

You got it. I haven't looked at the specs on the X-Force, but the only thing that looks the same on both bows are the limbs. Each bow has a very different cam system.

There is a lot more to a bow than looks. I'd be willing to bet the Monster is more efficient than the PSE X-Force. :peace:

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

:stir: :stir: :stir: :hunter:
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#13 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, you're right Jer. My eyesight isn't so good these days. For some reason I thought the GX cam and the AVS cam could be twin brothers. Undoubtedly, I bet they're both awesome bows. A impartial review of both would be way cool! :peace: :cool:

http://pse-archery.c...=57248&u=0759GX
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#14 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

Ya, I would have to admit that my X-force from last year looks a lot like the new Matthews. That's ok....my new 09' PSE is much better than last years. Copy us if you can....that's the slogan right....lol. All jokes aside, I have shot both and they will both kill an animal. I do see some similarities though.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#15 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:21 AM

A impartial review of both would be way cool!

No reason I can see for Mathews and PSE not to send me one of each to do all the testing. :D

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users