Photo

Let's Talk Balls...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Let's Talk Balls... (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use swaged or cast lead round ball?

1. Swaged (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Cast (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

I had to do that, I apologize. :lol:

Swaged or cast? That is the question!

I have shot a good bit of both swaged lead round ball and cast lead round ball out of my flinter over the years and, in all honesty, I can not tell a difference in accuracy.

One person will claim that swaged is superior because it is stamped or pressed into final shape. This keeps there from being a pronounced seem or bump on the ball where the sprue (filling hole) in the mold was. I've even heard folks say that the tiny "dimples" all over the surface of a swaged round ball help with flight (sort of like a golf ball theory).

Another person will claim that the sprue bump left on a cast lead round ball, as well as the seem, can be oriented in the same manner shot after shot for superior consistency. In other words, even if these imperfections do cause a minor flight disturbance, it will be repeated the same way every time if the bump is oriented forward and the seam oriented vertically, for example, shot after shoot.

In my mind, I would think swaged is superior. However, as I mentioned in my open, I can not tell a difference in practice. Bear in mind I have a 1:48 twist barrel (as I've heard that can sometimes make a difference in which shoots best as well.)

What say you?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

I too have shot both. I did not notice any great difference in the two. My only perception is you do have to locate the bump and make sure it is up when loading and there is no such step in using the swaged round ball. This can become a factor in speed loaders.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

I've never shot anything but the Hornady swaged .54 cal balls. Never had a reason to try anything else. I'm not a tinkerer by nature and if something works, what the heck, I stick with it.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

If two projectiles weigh the same and are launched at the same speed. Only distance will uncover any inherent inaccuracies.

If both shoot the same for you. Try shooting both at that distance plus 50 yards. ;)

IME, aerodynamic efficiencies only really exhibit superiority as distance is increased.

In short, if you see no difference try shooting both farther. :)
Posted Image

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

But I can't see any farther than 100 yards with iron sights. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Jere you are lucky I can't see more than 100 yds with or without sights Lol.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Being strange as I am.. I once did a very detailed test with a 1-66 twist roundball barrel rifle. I tested Speer, Hornady, and home casted roundball. I used the same powder charge, patch, and swabbed between testing the different samples. I discovered that the swagged Speer shot the best group with a close second on the Hornady roundball. The home casted did real well, but not quite as good. Although at close distance of 35 yards it made little difference to the rifle what ball was being shot. I shoot mostly home casted ball.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users