6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thought this might be a good idea for a thread. Besides, I could use the info myself. Soooo, how do you care for your deer mounts, ect.? What's the best way to clean them and keep them looking good?

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

I was told to use a moist towel and go with the lay of the fur.

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:04 AM

I use the vacuum cleaner with the brush to remove the dust off of them.A damp cloth with soap and water does the antlers.The vacuum also does a great job on the bear rug.

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

liquid gold on antlers, windex on eyes. dust em when I can. a light wipe down with liquid gold on the hide will really make em look new but needs to be light

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

Besiides dermistide beetles the biggest enemies of trophy mounts are moisture, dust, direct sunlight and heat.

Cleaning with anything water based is flat asking for trouble.

Dusting with those dusters that seem to grab dust works and is pretty gentle. If you vacuum the hair I recommend you get one of those "Dog Hair" attachments for your vacuum. Sometimes they are at pet stores. Get the gentle one with soft rubber fingers. I've had mine so long I've forgotten what is was called.

Don't hang mounts near heat sources. (ex. over the fireplace or near a heat vent.)

WD40 will drive moisture off mounts and really make them look great. Don't make a habit of this. WD40 builds up and makes things worse instead of better if you overdue it.

I've heard several people recommend the Liquid gold. I've never used it but it does have a good reputation.
Posted Image

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

[Don't hang mounts near heat sources. (ex. over the fireplace or near a heat vent.)]

That reminds me of something me and Jason noticed at the new Bass Pro here in Branson. As you enter the building there's a big fireplace on the right. Standing on the mantle is a full body mount trophy buck. Yep, they had a fire going and aparently never heard of a damper. Smoke had turned that trophy buck almost solid black with soot! You'd think someone that worked there would have noticed. When we pointed it out you should have seen the paniced look on the manager's face! :lol:

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

I, too, vacuum mine. I use lens cleaner on the eyes etc. (Just because it's stuff I have as I wear glasses.) I've heard that WD-40 lightly sprayed on a feather duster once a year or so is helpful as well, though I've never done this.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users