Centerfire Barrel For Encore Pro Hunter

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

I'm thinking about getting a centerfire barrel for my T/C Encore Pro Hunter. Maybe as soon as next summer. I'm looking for some opinions on calibers. The gun will likely be used 100% for whitetail. Chances are if I travel outside of Wisconsin for hunting, it would be with a bow. I already have a .30-06 and don't want/need another. I won't be reloading either, it would all be factory ammo.

A caliber I'm really interested in is the .30 TC. Does anyone have much experience with this caliber, I know it is very new.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a .270 or .280?

#2 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

Chrud The 270 and 280 will have the same terminal performance as the 30-06 you will have to drop down to the .25 caliber to see much real diferance or maybe up to 35Whelan and you don't have to keep the 30-06 lenth cartrigde you can use shorter or longer cartrigdes for deer I would stay between and including 24 cal and 45 caliber. Some of the older large bores are fun to shoot.
MR300WM

Edited by Joe, 27 November 2008 - 03:19 PM.

MR300WM

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

I have a .270 barrel on my Encore and love the heck out of it. It's a real tack driver and versatile enough to do anything I'll ever need it to. I took a Pronghorn with it in Wyoming and have taken several Whitetails with it too. It's always performed beautifuly. My longest shot was 326 yards and the bullet hit exactly where I put the crosshair using Federal ammo. My scope is set 1" high at 100 yards. The deer took 3 steps and dropped. Another great caliber would be the 7mm mag and I'm really getting interested in the .270 short mag.

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

That sounds like really good performance for the .270. What grain bullets are you using? My cousin's .270 with 150 grain soft points works really well. The flat trajectory of the .270 has always been something that draws me to that caliber. Maybe it's time I get a .270 of my own.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

I've been doing well with 130 grain. soft nose.

#6 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:03 AM

Chrud what are you wanting the new caliber to do that your 30-06 won't do. You may be bored with the 06 as I did with my first rifle, after I found my load, as I felt that I had all the accuracy I was going to get out of it. Rem7400 Semiauto 270. The rifle still shoots good and the last time I went to the range I got a one hole group out of it at 100yds not normal most of the time between 1 and 1 1/2 inch groups. If you are just bored I would suggest that you spend the money starting to load then you will see the true versatility of the 30-06 and any other caliber that you purchase later on. Loading your own will get you out to he range more and thus you should become a better shot because all the practice you get the better you will get as long as you don't listen to all the know it all's at the range. If a fellow tells you one caliber is the best don't listen to him. If they tell you as SpritHawk did that they Like a certain caliber you should to them to get all the opinions you can. There is no wrong in having your favorite caliber as I have mine the 300Win Mag I have less powerfull calibers and more powerfull calibers but Winchesters big 300 is my favorite. You might go to one of the ammunition manufactures websights and look up the ballistics of differant calibers or find a reload manual to read the a short History of the differant calibers. Just don't do anything real fast and try to find something you will have a use for anf you can enjoy. I believe that I am trying to tell you that there is no majic load out there and every round has its advantages and disadvantiges. I just don't want you to spend your hard earned money and not get use or enjoyment out of it. Some ranges have rifles you can rent you may want to try this to see if it is what you want.
MR300WM

Edited by Joe, 02 December 2008 - 06:15 AM.

MR300WM

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Matt as a reloader it is very hard to beat the tried and true venerable 30-06. I do not own one but do have a 270 and a 7mm mag. Both do a great job on deer size game and even beyond a deer size animal. Availability of different weight bullets has always been a bit lacking for the 270 ranging from about 100 gr offerings to 150 gr and possibly a bit heavier but not much. For the 7mm the choices are about 120 gr to about 160 gr or there abouts. Now for the 30-06 the choices are from around a 90 gr pill to a honking 220 gr offering. Now not all those weights of bullets most likely shoot great but many times the accuracy will be acceptable. For my 270 I prefer either the 130 or 150 gr with is what my rifle prefers. Now with my 7mm mag I have shot 120 gr and most of the other offerings up to 160 gr bullets. All shot very well and the 160 gr shot the absolute best that I have ever seen from from a hunting rifle. About the only advantage of the 270 or 7mm mag over the 30-06 is they are a tad flatter shooting and because of that the 270 or 7mm mag may have an edge over the 30-06 at longer ranges. That does not mean the 30-06 is any sort of slouch at longer distances just that the possibility exists to give the 270 or 7mm mag a slight edge on holdover when the shot get way out there. You may want to consider something that is a varmint/deer rifle caliber. I am thinking of the 243 or 257 rbts. Both of which have proven to me to be both a great varmint caliber and just as great at a deer size target.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

Chrud what are you wanting the new caliber to do that your 30-06 won't do.

The reason I'm "getting away" from the .30-06 is because I already have one. ;) My current rifle is a Savage 110 .30-06 and I don't want to get another .30-06 for my Encore PH. I do like the caliber, I just don't see a point in having two .30-06's in the cabinet.

I'm wanting something similar in performance. I looked at the ballistics for a .30 TC and it is slightly better than a similar .30-06. I guess if I had to pick one thing I wanted to get more of, it would be flatter shooting.

You may want to consider something that is a varmint/deer rifle caliber.

That is another thing I am considering. I do plan on getting several barrels for my Encore PH, and the .243 could be one of them. However, I don't know if I'd want to go that light for whitetails. The .25-06 might be a nice "lighter" choice.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:09 AM

Never fear about the 243 being too light for deer. I have personally shot around 15 whitetails with this caliber using the 100 gr bullet. All were 1 shot kills except one and that was more my fault than the caliber. My son has caused the demise of a good number of deer with that caliber too also with 100 gr bullets. My son-in-law has a 257 Rbts and that rifle has taken an oryx (gemsbok) (about a 400 lb animal) a couple of mule deer and several whitetails all with 115 -120 gr bullets. Of course as with any caliber rifle shot placement is critical. I was thinking of a caliber that is great on varmints and still has the whomp to kill a deer size target.

#10 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

Either would be a good choice with a little less recoil from the 243. All I wanted to do was to get you to think about the next purchase. I have seen to many people get another rifle that was ballisticly real close to what they had and did not understand that there was really very little differance. I was not trying to get you to purchase another 06 but to load for the one you havw to see what it is really can do. I think I can understand the convience of a swith barrel system but I just like the look and feel of another rifle. I have three Rem 700s they all look and feel differant. We want to see you get the most bang for your dollar.
Joe

Edited by Joe, 04 December 2008 - 10:40 AM.

MR300WM

#11 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

25 06. You'll love it.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

Matt I too was trying to get you thinking of something different than a 30-06. Think of it this way the 270 is a 30-06 necked down to .277 and the 25-06 is a 30-06 necked down to 25 cal. I do not mean to say that the 270 and 25-06 are the same as the 30-06 but are on a par with it.

#13 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Chrud here are some barrels for your TC http://www.wholesale...m/asp/sales.asp I don't know what they sell for so I don't know if they are a good price or not. You can look for yourself. Takes it a minute to load up.
Joe

Edited by Joe, 05 December 2008 - 10:08 PM.

MR300WM

#14 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Why dont you just buy a 264 win mag. You can shoot 100 to 150 grain bullets that have a higher bc than the 270 and push them faster. Just select the right twist for the bullet you want to shoot. If your looking for milder recoil and reload buy a 6.5x284 barrel and you will love it.
There is a reason you dont see any longrange shooters using bullets in the 27 calibers.

The 7mm rem mag is a great round and if you want to shoot larger game elk and moose it would be a great choice. Lots of high bc bullets in .284 calibers 168 berger is probly the best.
280 ackley is another great choice and nosler makes brass for it.

Edited by camoclown, 06 December 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#15 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

I know of a fellow that used a break open single shot rifle in 270 at a 1000yd match, Fort Benning would be my guess because he lives close. No he did not win and yes many laughed untill he beat most of them with a hunting gun and bullets. Sierra does have a 135gr match bullet if you are good enough.
MR300WM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users