11 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

I'm asking for help as to what I should do first when getting my TC in-line Endeavor out on the box and on the range to sight it in with the first several shots. I've been told to take three or four primer caps and fire them first through it to clean out the barrel. Also make sure I use some anti seize grease on the threads so I can remove the breech plug.

What else should I be doing :help: to stay clear of problems.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 28 November 2008 - 12:37 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

Good advise so far. The new gun has an oil film in the bore and setting off the primer caps just clears it of the oil. I wouldn't use so many in my advise. 2 will usually do a good job. After each shot I always run a solvent clean down the bore one time followed by a dry patch twice. Are you putting a scope on it? If so make sure it is a good one and do not scimp on the mounts. Breach plug grease is a must. Be liberal with it to getting all the threads well greased. After several shots on the range I have seen a plug literally get stuck and not be able to be removed without some great torque. I usually will shoot about 10 times before I take the gun down and do a good clean with a bucket of warm water and some dish soap. I stick the barrell in the water muzzle first then run the rod up and down with a couple of patches on it to creat a vacuum as to pull the water all the way up the bore. It will usually take me a pack of bullets to sight in at several yardages. I start out at 50 then move to 100 then to 200 and finally 250. Have fun with the new t/c.

Steve

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

Good advise so far. The new gun has an oil film in the bore and setting off the primer caps just clears it of the oil. I wouldn't use so many in my advise. 2 will usually do a good job. After each shot I always run a solvent clean down the bore one time followed by a dry patch twice. Are you putting a scope on it? If so make sure it is a good one and do not scimp on the mounts. Breach plug grease is a must. Be liberal with it to getting all the threads well greased. After several shots on the range I have seen a plug literally get stuck and not be able to be removed without some great torque. I usually will shoot about 10 times before I take the gun down and do a good clean with a bucket of warm water and some dish soap. I stick the barrell in the water muzzle first then run the rod up and down with a couple of patches on it to creat a vacuum as to pull the water all the way up the bore. It will usually take me a pack of bullets to sight in at several yardages. I start out at 50 then move to 100 then to 200 and finally 250. Have fun with the new t/c.

Steve

Thanks. Yep I put on the leupold Grandslam scope for muzzleloaders and it's the one that Jim Shockey endorses. It ought to make those different yardages much easier to hit if I can control my shooting to be able to hit that far out. :blush:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 29 November 2008 - 05:02 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

First thing you do after taking it out of the box is read the manual. After that you have to scrub that rifle free of any packing grease and oils. As for the breech plug, you can wrap white Teflon plumbers tape around the threads, and then I like to smear the tape with some Slick 50 One Grease and put that back in the rifle.

Lets say you have oiled the barrel, and the breech plug is in correctly, so you're ready to shoot. What I do is put some isopropyl alcohol on a patch and swab the bore. After that I use an dry patch and swab the bore again, to make sure the bore is nice and dry. Now with another dry patch, push that to the bottom of the breech. Now put a 209 primer in the breech plug and fire that off. Pull the patch and examine it for burn marks. Normally they are shredded and burnt. If they are, then pop off two more primers.

Now you can load as normal. One the range after you shoot, spritz a patch with some Windex. Then swab the fowling out of the barrel (unless you're shooting blackhorn 209 or APP, Shockley Gold, or Pinnacle). After that a dry patch or two. Then load again and shoot.

An easy way to get a muzzleloader scope close is sight in at 13 yards. For a couple reasons. The group should be very tight. Like a big hole at this distance. After you have dead center bulls eyes hitting, try it at 100 yards. I think you will be surprised.

You have a great rifle. If shooting loose powder 120 grains and a 250 grain Shockwave should work good. If pellets. 100 or 150 grains of pellets and the Shockwave again, should produce good results.. There are other bullets that should work well for you also if Shockwaves do not appeal to you.

Good luck with your rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

These guys have pretty much said it all.......keep you barrel consistently clean so you can observe your groups accurately and be sure to seat your bullet all the way down,don't press too hard to "crush" your pellets. And of course,..have fun!!!

#6 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

using anti seize/ teflon tape/ on the breach plug is a MUST. DO NOT FORGET IT my brother bought a new inline (had been shooting flintlocks and sidelocks for years) didnt think he needed the breach plug grease we went to the range he got it sighted in and went home to clean them and it was locked in it we ended up taking a torch and heating it to get it out almost ruined the gun because of a little grease
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that you should run your ramrod all the way down the barrel and mark it at the muzzle. Then do the same thing with the rifle loaded. That way you can easily see that your bullet is always seated all the way or check to see if it's loaded, it's a matter of safety. :boone:

#8 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:33 AM

Norm I thought about that one but all the muzzle stuffers Ive looked at recently the ramrods are the same length when you put one in unloaded they sit flush with the tip of the barrel so I thought that would be a mute point but a great point as a reminder
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#9 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

When I began shooing my T/C Pro Hunter, the first thing I did was drop the ramrod down the barrel to make sure it is empty (every time I shoot my muzzleloader I do this step first) . Then, I run a couple dry patches down the barrel. That helped clean out some of the oil. Then, I fired one primer, followed by two dry patches to clean the bore. Then I just loaded the gun and fell in love with the sport of muzzleloading. :D

I did take the advice of the DVD and clean between each shot. It only adds a minute or two between shots. I'm guessing it helps accuracy quite a bit (never shot with a "dirty" barrel personally) and it really pays off when you do a complete cleaning at the end of the day. After each shot, I run a wet patch down the barrel, flip it over and run it again. Then, I use two dry patches in a similar manner. Run the first patch, flip it and then run a second patch, but no need to flip it. By the third pass, the dry patch is completely clean and dry.

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

You guys are great. Many thanks for taking the time to reply and answer my request for help. I will possibly get it out tomorrow to the range for my first date with it. And yes Cayuqad I am using black Horn 209 powder in it so clean up should be fairly simple.

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

With BlackHorn 209 you really do not have to swab between shots unless you want to. If you do swab, use a solvent. According to the brochure that came with my BlackHorn 209 they endorse a product called Montana X-Treme Solvent for cleaning. I just bought some of Montana Bore treatment but it is currently in the mail on way to my home. They claim once you have the rifle treated you do not even have to swab. But I find that hard to believe. I will test one of my rifles with it and see how it works.

I bet that is a good shooting rifle you have there...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

I finally made it to the range yesterday with my TC endeavor to sight it in. It's my first ML. My first time shooting one.

The weather was windy but the high temps were 68.

My son and I got there late about an hour before closing time and I put down four shots. The last one at fifty yards was a low center about 3". We were told that was my last shot but I was definitely thrilled I finally got out to shoot it plus get almost sighted in. Before I left I dialed the scope one last time to the POI so next time out I should be dead center at fifty yards. My scope has a reticles markings for longer shots so holding say out to 100 yards next time should be close. Too late this year to hunt with it but next year I'll be shouldering it for sure.

I was using Black Horn 209 powder at 110 grains and 250 grain TC SUPER SLIDE sabots. The job of cleaning it is something entirely new to me. Darn breech plug got dirty fast on me and had to clean it after two primer shots and again after three sighting shots. The muzzle itself cleaned up fairly easy to me. What a learning curve though.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 30 December 2008 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users