17 replies to this topic

#1 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

Well today was the first day of PA's gun season. Now Dad and I decided to stay around home to hunt this year as my big sis and her family are here to visit so he and I decided to go up on the ridge behind our houses. Just as he and I were walking to our spots we jumped a few turkeys off roost (right then I knew it was going to be a great day).

I walked to my spot and got all ready.... just after daylight I spotted 2 turkeys walking to my right and doing a little calling (I just love that). Well I sat in that spot till about 8:45 or so and I look down the bank and I see this yote coming right at me ( :blush: I can't tell you what I was doing)but it spotted me and as I flicked off the safe it took off to fast and no shot.

Now it wasn't 30 seconds later and here comes a deer. I bring up the rifle and it has head gear. It was a spike so I had to let it go. As I was sitting there I spot a hunter walking from the direction the deer and yote came from. He walked around me and up behind me. It wasn't 15 min later I hear PA shoot and I looked to my left not 40 yards away and there stands 3 more deer. I throw the mag up and all 3 have horns, now I can't tell how many horns they have but I knew there was a small buck in the group (here in PA they have to have 3 to one side to be legal) and I just couldn't tell. PA shot again and the 2 smaller ones took off and down over the bank they went, now the biggest buck of the group just stood there on top of the hill but I didn't get a shot, all of a sudden he takes off after the others (BUT) here is where he made the ultimate misstake, he stoped not 75 yards away to get a good look at me and now I have a great shot at his front shoulder BOOM. He expired right there.
Posted Image

Now I go over to where Pop was on post and said hey I got him so we walk down and there he is. As we were looking at him I look to my left and here comes the guy I saw earlier down in front of me (he is a relative of mine) and he is the one that jumped all of the bucks I had seen today. (4 in all)... Now after we all talked and I got him field dressed PA says I see something and here comes another yote, same direction as the first, He pules up and shoots, I think he hit it but not good enough to kill it and it ran onto posted property. We finally got the deer back to the truck after hours of tugging and hunting, but this buck is to the date by far the BIGGEST and I got to share the whole day with Dad and there is why I do this. After we got home I asked pop when he shot his big 9 and we looked and we think it was in 1968, with his dad not 200 yards from where I got this one. How about 2 big bucks in 40 years with our fathers. PRICELESS. Once again thank you Dad for another great year. I love you man. LOL

Edited by Eric, 03 December 2008 - 09:32 PM.

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

That's awesome Eric! :clap: :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

Great buck! Congrats!
-Eric

#4 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

Wow thats great Eric, nice Buck too. congrats :boone: :clap:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

Good deal buddy. I'm proud of ya and I know your dad sure is. :bigthumb:

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

Eric, you made smiles all the way to Minnesota! Congrats on your biggest :bigthumb:

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

Congrats, Eric. I can't think of too many better things to do than go hunting with my dad. :)

Now, tell us what you were doing. :nahnah:
(Shall we call this your "number one" buck or "number two" buck? :lol: )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

Nice deer! :thumbsup: :clap:
Posted Image

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

Jere I will not say what he was doing but do you remember the story of "This is my rifle and this is my gun" need I say more. Lol. :blush: :D
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

Very cool Eric, a great story to read.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#11 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

Jere I will not say what he was doing but do you remember the story of "This is my rifle and this is my gun" need I say more. Lol. :blush: :D

:blush: Yep he's got it. :yes: :lol:

Thank you all, I had to go to work today and everyone asked about the hunt so I must have told my story 20 times. :lol: And I also took the camera just as proof. :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#12 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Great hunt Eric and what a thrill to be able to hunt so close to haome and with your Dad. That is priceless!!!!!!!!!

Steve

#13 T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

I like to shoot bucks too. Then they run by Mudducks stand and he gets to shoot at them too. I have to drag them out though. So its kinda fun. :peace:

#14 T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

And by the way Eric, That is a Hawg! Are you getting it mounted? Also, that is the fun part about hunting in the same place for years. You can look around and think, Oh, one died up there, We got one over there, etc; you get to re-live those hunts when your not see'n much. Great story;)

#15 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Seriously sweet! Very nice!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users