Posted Image

Shot him around noon checking doe.
Posted Image

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

Congratulations, Seth! :thumbsup:
(You suck. :P )

Man, I've had a handful of buck around me, but all too small. I'm all for the antler restrictions, it's just hard sometimes sitting there thinking, "Is that a point?" :lol:
Had to come home at noon myself. Couldn't take the cold anymore.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

Way to go!! I didnt see any bucks. I saw 11 doe. 4 saw me first & left at warp speed. The other 7 kept to much bruch between us for me to risk shooting thru. I'll be back out tomorrow.

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

Now come on Seth, there has to be more to the hunt than "Shot him around noon checking doe." :lol: :rolleyes:
Congrats. :clap:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

Congrats, way to go! :bigthumb:

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

Congrats, way to go, Seth. :boone:

#7 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

Now come on Seth, there has to be more to the hunt than "Shot him around noon checking doe." :lol: :rolleyes:
Congrats. :clap:

Ok, ok. This is geared more towards the guys that have been to our camp and know our geographical terminology.

I went out to the rock pile stand on the western ridge with my camera and kicked a few doe down over into the big hollow on the way in with the hard crunchy snow as loud as it was... after that I was in the stand and filmed several doe that showed up at 8:30 (which I think circled around from earlier) and at 10. Which my dad kicked down to me before he showed up at my stand at 10:45. Dad slowly walked down the upper edge of the ridge to the tip and back to the stand. By then I was shivering and he offered to babysit my camera as I got down and took a short walk out to the end of the ridge to warm up. When I got out there I decided to climb up into another guy's (Gary, who wasn't hunting there that day) stand. As I was sitting there looking over at the opposite ridge side (below the first landing) wondering how big a deer would be at that distance, I saw one running, then another, and then another. They were going back and forth and up and down the ridge side.

I cranked the Weaver Grand Slam to 5 then to 7 and then to 10 and could still fit any 2 or 3 deer in the quarter 'slices' of the scope. I saw and lost this eight several times and finally managed to get a shot off. He turned up hill as I shot so it was a tight and quartering away. After I shot, the ridge side exploded with deer running everywhere, there was at least 6. (For those of you that don't hunt our camp, 6 deer sightings in a day is really good and you can bet at least half of them are buck.) Anyway, I sat for 5 minutes or so and scanned the ridge side for 'my' deer. No sign. I went back to my stand and got my dad and camera and headed back down to the stand I shot from. At that point I wasn't sure if I'd hit him or not as I've shot ground hogs before at that distance but never without a tricked out rifle. Dad was sure he heard the bullet hit.. .

I had him sit in the stand and I walked the gas line road over and cut into where the buck was standing. Dad was a deer lookout and was there to wave me into the area I showed him the buck was standing. I cut in and found blood, a lot of it. That was the easiest blood trail I've ever followed, but the hardest physically to trail. He headed down into the thick pines and stopped by the tiny creek as there were a half dozen dinner plate sized pools of blood melted down through the snow. At that point I knew I was pushing him, but decided to keep following because he was on his way right up towards my dad. This is where the trailing got hard... 50 degree, 50 yard incline climb up a ridge covered in slippery wet snow. (Paula Abdul could have done a music video there to that song 'Opposites Attract'..."Two step forward, one step back...") At the base of the ridge below the stand I saw dad getting out the stand in a hurry. Halfway up the ridge, I hear a yell followed by two shots. At that point my pulse could have been checked anywhere... I was whipped. As I crawled my way to the summit I saw dad walking back over saying he was down over there. Way past out of breath I managed "No spoilers." so he wouldn't tell me how big, etc. The buck was in really bad shape at the top of the ridge, but headed right for Hope's (another hunting camp) line 70 yds away so dad put one in his neck so he couldn't make it there. As mentioned before that he turned up hill as I shot... it was a slow reaction on my part, I should've shot sooner. Instead of drilling him right in the front shoulder the bullet went through the lower rear leg, breaking it and was redirected up into his liver. His liver was a jellied mess when I field dressed him. We estimate the shot at 325 yds.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 02 December 2008 - 06:41 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Sounds accurate...except the yell was after the deer dropped. It was a heck of shot ya made son! Thank goodness for snow and a downhill drag to the road.
Posted Image

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

Way to go Seth. Yes that is a looong way across that hollow. Nice shot. glad your dad was there to nail it too. Hey that is what dads are for.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

Sounds accurate...except the yell was after the deer dropped. It was a heck of shot ya made son! Thank goodness for snow and a downhill drag to the road.

Close enough, at last point I could hear my own pulse... We always joke about deer running up the ridge after we shoot instead of down so the drag is easier... it finally happened. :clap:

Eventually I plan on making a podcast for The Thirsty Deer which has footage I got of him in bear season.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 02 December 2008 - 06:55 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

Great job Seth, nice buck!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#12 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

Yes the picture is the result BUT I love to read/hear about the hunt!!!! Good job. :boone:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#13 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

What a hunt and what a shot. Sounds like that buck has more holes in him than swiss cheese. He also was not very willing to die for ya. Its almost like them critters don't want you to shoot em. Sounds like you PA boys are gettin-er-done.

Steve

#14 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Eventually I plan on making a podcast for The Thirsty Deer which has footage I got of him in bear season.

It's done.
Posted Image

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

Whistle Pig I enjoyed your video, very well edited. Boy did you look cold. Thank God for those chemical pack hand warmers , they do help make hunt last for me. And congrats on a very nice shot on cool looking buck. Are you going to get it mounted?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users