• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 In-Hoc

In-Hoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

I was wondering if anybody has ever installed see-thru scope rings on a shotgun before? I have a Remington 870 with rifle sights on it and I have a scope mounted on the gun as it is. Yesterday was opening day here in Ohio and I took a doe in the morning as she walked in and stopped about 65 yards out and I was able to get the scope on her with no problem. Today we were pushing a field and we jumped a nice buck (7 or 8 pointer) and he was on the move and it was very difficult to aquire him in the scope on the move. I was thinking that if I would have has see-thru scope rings or shoot thru scope rings (what ever people want to call them) I would be able to use the scope when sitting and the rifle sights when pushing a field and taking a running shot on a deer. Has anybody had any luck with this kind of set up? or lack of success with this set up?

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

That was the main reason I took the scope off my slug gun. I couldn't find deer up close. I hunted for a couple years with iron sights but decided to try a red dot sight for next year. Maybe that's an option for you. You can buy them with some magnification. The only trouble I find with see through rings is that you must mount the scope up so high. You might not be able to get a good cheek weld while using the scope, and you can't really add a comb raising kit because you then won't be able to see the open sights well.
-Eric

#3 In-Hoc

In-Hoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

I have seen this set up on a Thompson Center Omega and from talking to the guy he said that it was not that difficult to secure the stock to the cheek and still be able to see accurately thru the scope but I didn't know if that would work as well with a shotgun and the drop in the stock compared to a rifle (more in-line) stock. The Remington 870 stock seems to drop a little more then my 30/30.

runNgun, I thought about using a red dot scope/site but I'm just not a fan of the red dot's. I would most likely just go with Fiber Optic sights or just deal with my inability of shooting on the run. I was also thinking about the quick detach scope rings but I was worried about accuracy with taking the scope on and off the gun.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

One of my hunting buddies has one on his shotgun and that's why he likes it for fast moving or in close shots. He didn't have too much of problem sighting it in. I think Weaver makes the rings for it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 In-Hoc

In-Hoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

Rowdy Yates, you said "One of my hunting buddies has one on his shotgun" but you didn't specify what he had. Did he use the see thru scope rings? or the Removable scope rings?

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

I had quick-release rings when I had my scope on. They work well from my experience. The zero stays the same. They are actually pretty handy to have. Have the scope mounted when sitting and take it off when walking..
-Eric

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

Take a look at Trijicon Reflex sights. It's a dot sight but it uses ambient light and tritium to light the dot. In other words - NO BATTERIES. They also mount very low to the gun. Not cheap but probably the toughest and most reliable dot sight you can get.

These sights are designed to be used with both eyes open so following running targets isn't an issue.

Edited by Leo, 04 December 2008 - 11:00 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

Rowdy Yates, you said "One of my hunting buddies has one on his shotgun" but you didn't specify what he had. Did he use the see thru scope rings? or the Removable scope rings?

Sorry he used the raised type see-thru type rings on his Bushnell scope.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

For what it is worth I have a scope on my muzzleloader with just plain weaver type mounts. The one that has the big screw heads and have taken it off many times to clean the rifle and then remounted it when done and it has never ever changed poi on me.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 In-Hoc

In-Hoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

Does anybody know if there is a stock out there with an adjustable cheek rest for the raised scope rings?

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

I use B-Square or Millet saddle mounts on all of my shotguns - even the ones that are already drilled and tapped for a base and rings - for one reason: They have a see through slot down the middle of what would be the base that allows you to still use your bead or open sights! The mounts still sit right about where a normal base and rings would too. (Much lower than what a see through ring system would sit.)

Posted Image

I don't know if that will work for you, but I know it has worked very well for me. (Especially the one time my HoloSight batteries died on me in the woods and I didn't have spares. ;) )

As to a stock with an adjustable comb... Well, I know you can get tactical style stocks (look like they are for a Bushmaster or M4 style rifle) for the 870 at MidwayUSA.com and then add an Adjustable Cheek Rest onto that.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#12 In-Hoc

In-Hoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:01 AM

Thanks, Maybe I'll need to look into the B-Square mount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users