7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

I have a T/C Encore .270 that I simply love hunting with. Am impressed by it's accuracy and I love the way it shoulders and carries. I've been giving a lot of thought to getting a .50 barrel for it. I have a Knight MK-85 in .54 and it's a good gun but hard to find stuff for a .54. Everybody has stuff for a .50. Plus I love hunting with my Encore so much that I'd love to extend it's use for muzzleloader season too. Now, what I'd like to know is how well the Encore in .50 performs? What loads and bullets shoot well in it? How well does if perform? Seems it would be fairly easy to change barrels and forearms but is it realy? If you have one what is your honest opinion of it? Come on guys, my enquiring mind wants to know. :lol:

#2 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

IMO: The Encore is a great muzzleloader. It is much easier to clean than the conventional inlines. Got my Encore in 06 and have killed several deer and a lot of hogs with it. Most were killed with the 250 grain SST and either JSG or Pinnacle powder. The gun is currently sighted in with the 350 grain FPB; I did that for elk hunting last weekend. Accuracy with that bullet is not great; about 3" at 100 yards. Killed two big sows with that load this past Sunday.

With the 250 grain SST and 110 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle my Encore makes groups that are consistently less than 2.5" at 100 yards. The most accurate bullet I have fired in my Encore is the 200 grain Shockwave.

Killed a sow in early 07 at a measured 192 yards with 90 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST bullet.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

If I had no muzzleloaders, I would seriously have to consider a Encore simply because of all you can do with it.. Also looking at the different posts on the rifle, they are accurate and easy to use.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

I absolutely love mine! I got my encore to blackpowder hunt with-now I own a couple of other barrels for it. I "used" to be a big weatherby guy-Thompson is all I'll shoot now. I did some super long shots with mine in Africa this past summer-this made a believer out of me! The only problem I had with mine is the firing pin got so fouled up it stuck a few times and I had trouble opening the action! Come to find out-that was my own fault cause where the primer is "seated" was dirty enough that it would create a space big enough to allow residue to blow back under the primer to the pin when under pressure. Cleaned it and sprayed out the firing pin-no more problems. My best so far is 100 grains triple 7, 250 shockwave. When I went to Africa, under 4" groups at 200 yards 120 gr swiss powder, 250 gr shockwave. The thing I love about this gun is the fit and the no creep trigger-my furthest shot with it is an Impala(7 mag) at almost 400 yrds.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

I've long been a T/C fan. Started with a Hawken, then a Renegade too. Over the years Ive had two Hawkens and three Renegades. I really want a .50 barrel for my Encore and plan to have one by next muzzy season. The .270 barrel is an absolute tack driver.

#6 Aleric Odin

Aleric Odin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

I had an Encore for 2 years now I have a 243 pro hunter barrel and a 209x50 26 inch the older style with screw in breech plug. I have used T7 APP and now Blackhorn 209, I like a home cast 300 gr lee .430 300 gr bullet for practice and I buy .430 300 gr xtp for hunting I get one hole groups at 50 yds with this combo. I use 90 gr of Blackhor or 100 gr 0f T7 120 gr Jim Shockley gold or Goex Pinnicle. I have been staying to the Black horn as I do not have to clean between shots and I can leave the gun loaded all season.

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

I have the T/C Encore Pro Hunter in the .50 ML. It is an excellent muzzleloader. The current load I am using in it is a 250 grain T/C Shockwave bullet and 150 grains of Triple Seven pellets. The gun shoots great for me. It was pretty accurate with open sights. I now have a 1x20 Nikon Buckmasters scope on it and it is even more accurate. If you are looking at a 209x.50 ML barrel for your Encore, I do have a couple suggestions.

The first is the EZ Tip Extractor. This is only necessary if you get an "original" Encore ML barrel. If you don't buy this, you will have to take the gun apart to get the breech plug out. Taking the gun apart is very easy and only takes a couple minutes, but the "EZ" only takes a couple seconds. Your primer sits on this piece, so it is sits behind the breech plug. The "EZ" is the same piece, only it slides back and pivots out of the way, so you can get to your breech plug. I think it is around $15 or so.

Here is my recommendation, especially if you can use a variable power scope. I'm not sure on the price difference, but I would recommend spending the extra money and get the Pro Hunter ML barrel. I'm certain you can put a Pro Hunter barrel on an original Encore frame. The Pro Hunter barrel is 28" and fluted, where as the original Encore barrel is only 26". The extra 2" increases accuracy quite a bit. Plus, if you use something like the Nikon Omega scope with BDC, it is designed for a 28" barrel, not a 26". The Pro Hunter barrel comes standard with the EZ Tip Extractor and the Power Rod (flip over T-Handle on the end). Last, the Speed Breech is really cool. The "1/4 turn and out" is nice. It sure beats the 11 rotations or whatever it is on a typical breech plug. If your check books allows for it, I wouldn't think twice about getting the Pro Hunter barrel. I would double check to make sure it is compatible with an original Encore, but I'm sure it is.

I think you'd be very happy with either. Both will definitely get the job done.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Chrud. I'll certainly look into the Pro barrel. Was wondering anyways as I've run accross a couple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users