Red Stag/ Red Deer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

Ok all I mentioned in the member lounge about a 3x3 Red Stag I took on a Hunting Ranch, and I figure this is the best place to show the pic.... I shot it at the Big Mex's and Little Tex Hunting Ranch in Nash Tx about a month ago... 20yd broadside shot with a bow, about 7 inches penetration (It's got some fairly heavy ribs) and it ran about 75yds after the shot... I hit just a little high and forward of where i wanted but i cut the heart with the broadhead blade, and demolished a lung. The whole story behind this hunt is that my wife built a website for the aforementioned Hunting Ranch, so in a bartering type situation, to feed the dogs (show dogs) raw meat i was allowed to take this specific red stag, I got my fair share of meat as well, LOL It's a little bit more stringy meat than whitetail, but still very good.

Posted Image

Edited by TerryfromAR, 07 December 2008 - 02:09 PM.

Semper Fi

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

Way to go scooby. You put that little one on a meat diet like that and you will see real growth and a hunting buddy for sure.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

Scooby Dooby done it. :clap: Way to go.

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Paul, he's only got 2.5 teeth LOL got a little while, but he already wants to be with Daddy more than anything LOL .

Norm, LOL thanks ...errr uhhh I think LOL How YOU doin?
Semper Fi

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Red deer and elk are the same species different subspecies.

Good for you getting him with the bow.

You definitely still want some red in that meat when you cook it.
Posted Image

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

Leo thanks for the tip, unfortunately the red deer is all but gone i shot it about a month or so ago and it kinda sparked a feeding frenzy here, with deer chili and fried tender loins LOL i think i've still got one pack of TL left so i may try that with it... i was just doing it the way i do whitetail.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 14 December 2008 - 09:56 AM.

Semper Fi

#7 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

Nice job Scoobie :clap: :clap: :clap: . I need to talk to you about your hunting tactics. You put the wife to work, which she did, and you got to bring home the bacon? Sweet, you're my new hero! :D
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

Huck, awww man i lucked out with this woman... hehehehe at some point she's SUPPOSED to be going hunting with me, but thus far all i've managed is her going fishing with me. My BIG plans are for my boy though.... i'm thinking .243 lever action for his 8th B-day which will give us about 7 months of target time before modern gun deer season... He'll probably get a .410 as a squirrel gun before that ;)
Semper Fi

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

Terry I would suggest a 20 ga rather than the 410. You can get some light loads for the 20 that don't kick any more than a 410 and give a better pattern besides have you priced 410 loads lately. Of course you have a year or two yet. Get a youth gun that fits him when the time comes. There are models that you can just put a full length stock on when that time comes too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Terry,

I bought my daughter a Rossi youth three barrel combo hinged action gun-sort of like a Thompson. It came with a .22 barrel, a 22-250 barrel (or .243), and a 20 ga. barrel. It's the perfct starter gun for wee lads and lassies. It cost under $250.
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

Paul, i was just thinking about the youth 20ga i got for one of my nephews at 8 yrs old, my brother is the only one who has shot that gun in about 9 years, he said it kicks like a mule its a New England single shot, if i get Luke a 20ga it's probably gonna be semi auto that way it reduces the recoil. LOL But thanks for making me think about that..... hmmmm but i was thinking 5 or so for the 410... he may have to wait a little longer for the 20ga... LOL

Will, man that sounds like a great deal, i may have to look into that... but i'm just cautious about putting a 20ga in his hands too soon, if i get too heavy of a load, and it kicks too hard it might scare him off shooting for good.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users