• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thinsulate only works well when your moving. For sitting still it's pretty mediocre.

Wool gloves inside oversized mittens are the surest way to go for warmth.
Posted Image

#17 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

I hear you, Paul. I also wear an insulated ball cap with a heavy knit watch cap over top of that. Oh, and I'm definitely a neck gaiter user as well. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#18 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

I agree with Paul and Leo too. Wool like Merino or alpaca is great for the warm under layer clothing and keeping head and neck warm is a must along with my feet. My feet will shut down my time out if they go freezing. The alpaca socks work wonders. I sometimes just put on a camo hoodie sweatshirt under my coat to help cover my hat and head and it helps me keep the heat in. I just bought a neck gaiter and it's insulated from Gamehide and I bet its my next every hunt layer in my cold winter hunting forages.

Some of these new under hi-tek clothing stuff like under armour I'm not a fan of after trying some of it. Back to basics for me with layers and using good wools and they do help keep your scent down too.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 14 December 2008 - 12:03 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#19 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:28 PM

Here's an issue...

My mother is allergic to wool. (I know... Who's ever heard of such a thing?) Well, I have noticed myself getting "sensitive" to it over the past couple years myself. (My hands get itchy and even a little red in spots if I wear my unlined ragg wool gloves a little too long.) Is polypropylene definitely the way to go for something under the wool if need be?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#20 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

Here's an issue...

My mother is allergic to wool. (I know... Who's ever heard of such a thing?) Well, I have noticed myself getting "sensitive" to it over the past couple years myself. (My hands get itchy and even a little red in spots if I wear my unlined ragg wool gloves a little too long.) Is polypropylene definitely the way to go for something under the wool if need be?

If you're allergic to wool you don't even want it as an outer layer, unless you've got Gortex or a similar membrane between you and the wool. If your garments get wet and you have no protection from moisture that contacts the wool, it can be BAD BAD BAD. I'm allergic to certain leather treatments on boots. If they aren't Waterproof and they get wet my feet look like hamburger meat in no time. Lesson learned moisture carries allergens!

Go with the heaviest polypropylene gloves you can find. You'll still need to wear them inside oversize mittens.

Edited by Leo, 14 December 2008 - 02:51 PM.

Posted Image

#21 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

I also get somewhat of a reaction to wool against my skin. I have never had a problem with just a layer under the wool. Many years ago underwear was made with wool and I can only imagine what that felt like. No wonder those old geezers back then were a surlly bunch. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#22 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

Here's an issue...

Is it all wools? The scent blocker under layer is made of merino and Justin Charles under layer is merino wool. You can pick it up on alot of discount web sites like Sierra outfitters at very low price. Not all wools are the same and Merino and alpaca or very different than your regular wool gloves or sweaters. For one alpaca aren't your normal sheep LOL you get wool from and merino sheep are you run of the mill farm animal. Merino wool is sometimes advertised as less irratating and semi hypo-allergenic compared to regular wool. I know I don't get any irratation from wearing them and it's very warm. Thought I'd share that with you.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 15 December 2008 - 08:37 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users