• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Who believes in hunting the moon phase of the rut and has done good?
I have never been a believer in hunting the moon phase and have been sceptical. I thought I would give it a try this year and all though I didn't score on a big buck Tyler scored on a nice 6x6 whitetail. The action was unbelievable almost non stop. My understanding was that a few days before the full moon and a few days after in November is the best time to be hunting what is called the chase phase of the rut. The reason this is the best time to hunt the rut is because the bucks are on the move locating does to see where there at. It's the miss conception that when the bucks start breeding that is the best but it's not because the bucks will get a hot doe and will stay beded up with her and not travel as much. This doesn't mean it's still not a good time to harvest a good buck. We seen more quality bucks during the moon phase than any other.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hunting the moon phase has been a topic of discussion for many generations. I too am a bit of a sceptic but many people swear by it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:04 AM

I'm a believer from past seasons but try not to let my hopes rest on it as in this hectic world any trip afield is sweet break from reality. My mindset is that I have better chance of seeing game anytime I can hunt than staying home fretting about conditions. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

I'm with Phil on that one. You can't score unless you are out in the stand no matter what the moon is doing. I am pretty much out from the middle of Oct. to the end of Dec. almost every evening. Here in Neb. we can only get 2 bucks so I am now out for just meat. I scored on my bucks early. Even when a buck is sticking with a doe they still have to get up and move every few hours. The more you are out the more you learn.

Steve

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

I am a firm believer in it. I pretty much gave up early season bow hunting here, too hot and too many mosquitos. Oct.23 thru Nov.10th around here, if I had to pick one day- Nov4th, year in, year out.

Edited by mudduck, 10 December 2008 - 12:21 PM.

#6 bukmastr

bukmastr

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

One key element to using the moon phase charts is to realize how big bucks relate to the moon outside of the rut during the mornings...
Most mornings outside of the rut mature bucks are bedded before daylight making them very tough to kill from a treestand. By monitoring when the moon chart says there will be feeding activity in the morning, you know which days you can slip into the bucks bedroom and shoot him when he returns.
Simply hunting randomly without regard to "moon phase" is a good way to burn your spots out.
I recently went to Iowa to viset with Andrae D'Aquisto and interview him about two Boone & Crockett bucks he shot in there bedding areas with his bow when they returned to bed... Andrae is the one who taught me about the moon. During that interview he really spelled out how important it is to use patience in waiting for the right time to move in for the kill... He runs about 2 dozen trail cameras and gets hundreds of photo's daily. He showed me the moon chart and then showed me the time graphs of deer movement on the cameras.... It was amazing to see the correlation between deer movement times and when the chart said they would move..
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
http://www.huntingbeast.com

#7 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

We've seen more game the last 4 yrs since we buy tags ONLY in dark of moon of the seasons. The first three yrs we was out here in Colo I forgot about full moon and we seen nothing. Course we still aint kilt much, but thats another thing.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#8 PA SILVERBACK

PA SILVERBACK

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Archery Hunting, Anything with the Kids,Hunting with the Wife, Harleys, Anything Outdoors..

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

I'm not a firm believer in Moon Phases..After a Hunt last Year Up North, We seen a Ton of Deer during the week of the full moon... We seen a TON of deer, And they were traveling about an hour before dark in the feilds. and traveling back to the bedding area after sunrise... So I can Honestly say for Myself, I don't think the full moon has a whole lot to do with deer movement..
A mans Character is a sign of His Destiny

#9 bukmastr

bukmastr

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

I'm not a firm believer in Moon Phases..After a Hunt last Year Up North, We seen a Ton of Deer during the week of the full moon... We seen a TON of deer, And they were traveling about an hour before dark in the feilds. and traveling back to the bedding area after sunrise... So I can Honestly say for Myself, I don't think the full moon has a whole lot to do with deer movement..

The moon phase has a lot more to it than whether or not the moon is full.
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
http://www.huntingbeast.com

#10 wishbone

wishbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

I believe in the moon phase my Dad tought me that
way back when... I watch it , just like saltwater fishing
down here in Florida I always slam the fish when there's a 4 tide day :D