• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shotgun

Shotgun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Does anyone on here coon hunt I just got here Hope I'm doing this right.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Let me be the first to welcome you here. Stick around, you'll find a great bunch of people call this home. Actually this should have been posted under Small and Upland Game but no biggy. One of the moderators will most likely move it there. That being said, I use to coon hunt quite often. We run Blue Ticks and Black and Tans and an occasional Red Bone. I love all three breeds. There's nothing like listening to a good pack of hounds on the scent and treeing. It's a kind of hunting that bare basics indure. Anyone who's never tried it should do so at least once in their lives. It's pure Americana at it's very best. :boone:

Edited by Spirithawk, 12 December 2008 - 06:01 PM.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Welcome Shotgun. I did it once as a spectator but then again we all were spectators and just listened to the beautiful dog music while standing in the dark. It was a lot of fun for me as I stood there trying to hear each dogs unique voice and what the different barks and bawls meant. We as I recall bagged 5 coons that night and had a great time during a very late night sip and snack session at my house.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

Heck, I've been around here a while, and I was wrong about where to put this post, so don't feel bad. :lol:

#5 Shotgun

Shotgun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

I went Friday Night and had no luck. I'm gonna try this weekend again. I did a lot of coon huntin when I was a kid, just now getting back into it.
Having trouble figuring out this site. It'll take some time.

#6 mikeothmer

mikeothmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting,Women

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

I hunt coons but not with a dog. I walk with a small light and I call them. Calling is a hoot doesn't take too long to figure out if there are coons in a hollow tree or not and you can do the calling both day and night. Hardest part is to get them out far enough , they come to fight so you got to get them worked up. I know that it isn't the same as dogs and I have done that too. Its just different and another way to get out.
Anything worth doing is worth doing wrong, at first!

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

I hunt coons but not with a dog. I walk with a small light and I call them. Calling is a hoot doesn't take too long to figure out if there are coons in a hollow tree or not and you can do the calling both day and night. Hardest part is to get them out far enough , they come to fight so you got to get them worked up. I know that it isn't the same as dogs and I have done that too. Its just different and another way to get out.

Never heard of calling them but sure sounds like fun.

#8 mikeothmer

mikeothmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting,Women

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

I got a Bandit Game Call from Minaska ph#877-646-2752 Mine is the M1 call. Just head out anytime day or night.I prefer day because they sleep in hollow trees or old buildings or hay yards, brushpiles. I like to call hollow trees either live or dead trees, set the call up on the back side of the tree away from the hole so they have to comeout to find out what is going on. They come to fight and it don't take long to know if they are there.The first time I used my call 8 coons came out in 2 minutes. I went down the creek and called in 2 more 75 yards away. That was 10 coons in 20 minutes. It don't always happen that way but they are a lot easier to call than coyotes or cats!
Anything worth doing is worth doing wrong, at first!

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

Sounds cool but I'd have to check the regulations here in Missouri. Missouri tends to frown on using electric calls for many things. Not sure about coons.

#10 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

When I was younger, me and Candy, a rather large shepherd, used to patrol our cornfields. We would see the corn tops moving, head in that direction, and find the coon. Haven't hunted them for years, but it was sure fun while I did. They were everywhere. If they weren't in the corn, they were in the orchards competing with the bears for lunch. Posted Image Life was a lot more interesting 30 or 40 years ago.Posted Image

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Fred, you old goat. Come to Missouri and lets go coon huntin'! :) We aint getting old bud, we're just well seasoned! ;) ROFL

#12 hunter1963

hunter1963

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

Used to coon hunt all the time back in the 80's, sure do miss it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users