14 replies to this topic

#1 BOWHUNR

BOWHUNR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and was asked to post this report by one of the current members. We arrived in Petropavlovsk on April 29th after about twenty-six hours of flying from Omaha, NE. The airports in Russia are a major cluster #$%^, and you should expect long delays (much worse than Africa). We left Petro. at 9:30 p.m. by bus and headed for the town of Esso to get on our helicopter. The ride from Petro. to Esso is brutal and took us 9 1/2 hours (don't let them tell you it is any shorter). After arriving in Esso, we had breakfast and boarded our helicopter for camp. Our camp was located about 225 miles from Esso near the town of Palana, about a 2 1/2 hour helicopter ride. After arriving in camp, we sighted our rifles and prepared for the first day of hunting. The hunts are conducted from sleds towed by snowmobiles and I think by the end of the first day all but one of us had been pitched out of the sleds once or twice. After you are pitched a couple of times, you learn to have a death grip on the sled at all times!! By the end of day number two the other four hunters in camp had shot their bears. It was the fifth day of the hunt before I scored. We spotted the bear through my guides spotting scope and approached on snow shoes. When we were about eighty yards away the bear busted out of the snow and quartered away from us. My first shot hit the bear high, about eight inches below his hump. My second shot missed, and the third double lunged him. The bear ran over a ridge and died in a bowl at the base of the high peaks. My rifle was a montana 1999 stainless in .325 WSM. I was shooting 200 gr. Winchester factory loads with Accu-bond bullets. All but one of the five bears in our camp was over nine feet. My bear was the third largest in length at 9'6" nose to tail and 9'1" paw to paw (squared 9'3"), but had the largest skull at 26 7/8". All in all I give the hunt a thumbs up, and it seems to me that there is no shortage of bears in the North of Kamchatka. I really lucked out shooting the bear when I did. As you can see by the photos, the fog started to come over the mountains and visibility went down to nothing. If any of you have more specific questions I will be glad to answer them.

Cheers,

BOWHUNR

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

Congratulations it seems that the 325 WSM can speak russian well enough to get the job done. Big bear!!!
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:02 PM

Which hunting consultant did you use? Approximate cost for this hunt?

Welcome aboard and congrats on a fine animal.

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

Welcome and thanks for posting this Bowhunr. I appreciate you sharing your story here. Hope you continue to check in from time to time.

I'm glad you had a great hunt. Lots of mixed reviews about Kamchatka. It looks like you found the right outfitter to go with.

That makes a big difference.
Posted Image

#5 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Awesome bear. Thanks for sharing.
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:58 PM

Bowhunr Welcome and thanks for sharing this with us here. Wow now that's a bear and half - very impressive. Head and Paws on that monster are outrageous. Just curious - Are you going to do a rug or a full body mount?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 BOWHUNR

BOWHUNR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

bc34- We used the Russian outfitter Profi-Hunt, www.profihunt.com We were very happy with them, and I think that them being a Russian company would explain why we had no trouble being hit up for bribes etc...

The hunt cost was $8500.00 and we had air fare on top of that. I guess I haven't sat down and totaled it up yet. Maybe I shouldn't, it might scare me!!

Rowdy- The bear is going to be a full body. I am having him done standing with the arms down and the mouth slightly open. I like the more natural poses over the bad azz look. I'll post a photo when it is done.

BOWHUNR

Edited by BOWHUNR, 21 May 2006 - 11:17 AM.

#8 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:45 PM

Nice looking bear :yes:
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#9 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

Congrats on a successful hunt. That is one large baear. Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures.

MD

#10 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

Sweet Bowhunr! That must have been one exciting hunt! Welcome around our fire and Congrats on an awesome Bear!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#11 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:58 PM

congrats on an awsomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bear...and welcome to the forums...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#12 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:49 AM

Excellent bear. Don't do a full cost tally, cause you're too young to croak! :D

#13 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Never heard a bad thing about Profi-hunt and they are great supporters of Safari Club International! Very fair price as well, and your right never add up the total cost after the fact--it can surprise ya.

Congrats and look forward to talking with ya sometime..

Marty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#14 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

One word..................... SWEET!

I've seen the type of hunts you described on t.v.
Must have been a thrill.

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:32 AM

Rowdy- The bear is going to be a full body. I am having him done standing with the arms down and the mouth slightly open. I like the more natural poses over the bad azz look. I'll post a photo when it is done.

I agree - that will be a very cool trophy - just need some tall ceilings. :rofl:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users