• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

Got word today that there's good snow in the foothills of CO and I have a mt. lion tag burning a hole in my pocket. We are leaving tonight at Midnight to cut tracks and hopefully we can release the hounds in the morning. It is about -10F, but my drive to hunt a lion is too great to sit on the couch. Wish me luck and I will let you know if I loose an arrow.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

Go get a big Tom Whip! That's got to be one very challenging and exciting hunt.

Wish a safe hunt.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

Good luck to you. Every one cat removed saves the lives of a railroad car full of deer and elk in a years time. Aim carefully and shoot straight.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

Go get-em Sean. :bigthumb:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

GOD bless Sean and keep safe.

Steve

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:14 AM

Praying ya have a great hunt Sean! Big cats are cool !
Posted Image

#7 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

Just got back guys. I got a really nice lion. I have no clue how to post pics, but if one of you gives me your e-mail I will send some if someone wouldn't mind posting them for me.

All I can say is that this was by far the most physically demanding hunt I have ever been on. It truly makes other mountain hunts seem easy. The terrain, elevation, extreme cold (-18F), and numerous miles of walking take a toll. And you cannot stop! Keeping up with the dogs is a must to avoid CATastrophe.

On day one we cut 3 good sets of tracks by 6a.m. We turned the dogs loose at first light and they were hot on the trail. After trailing the dogs and the lion for over 3 miles we caught up to the dogs. They had gotten off the trail and we later learned that it was a two day old track. The hounds are amazing....they can trail virtually anything! Many of my friends' hounds have been battle tested on over 50 lions and bears. We made it back to the pickup by 4:30pm and my gps told me we had walked around 5 miles through some of the steepest, rocky, terrain I have ever seen. I was a bit disheartened, but determined to get up the next morning and try it again.

The second day we were both sore and tired, but decided to start looking for tracks from the pickup at 2 am. We didn't find one until 10am. It was a good sized track that was made the night before. We figured we would have great chance at getting the cat in a tree by dark.....and we were right. After 5 miles, the dogs started baying....we heard them from about a half mile away. We only had two hounds the second day (another friend on the hunt who had hounds had to leave and took his two dogs home with him) and needed to get on them as quickly as possible to prevent injury. Once we got there we saw that the dogs had bayed the lion agains a large rock pile and could not hold him. The chase was on again. At 3:30 pm we found the dogs and guess what they had in the tree?...My lion! After a few photos we decided it was a great cat to take. I was told to shoot the lion as many times as I could until he hit the ground to prevent the cat from injuring the dogs once he hit the ground. After three rounds from a 44 mag as fast as I could pull the trigger, he fell. He still managed to muster enough strength to bite one of the dogs. These hounds are tough! All said and done the cat weighed over 120 lbs and was about 7 feet long....a true trophy of a lifetime.

Now that he was on the ground we realized that we were still over a mile from the pickup and it was 30 minutes till dark....and this time I had an extra 120lbs to carry. We finally reached the truck in the dark at close to 7 pm. With temperatures below zero, we were thankful that we had avoided a very uncomfortable and potentially deadly night in the mountains. The Lord certainly blessed me with a safe and successful hunt. My friend tells me that of the 40+ cats he has taken, rarely do they get a cat in two days. Also, many times they end up staying for extra days to find the dogs. They will stay on a track until either they lose the trail, or a lion is in the tree....there is no quit in them whatsoever! I look forward to my next opportunity to hunt lions. Next time I will hit the stairmaster hard enough to be able to take my bow instead of a pistol :) . Thanks for the support guys and I can't wait to show you all the pictures.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Congratulations Sean. You are right about being lucky to get one in two days. I have not hunted them but have read of some real week long ordeals till one was treed. Having hunted those Colorado mts I must say those who hunt the big cat are one tough bunch.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:46 AM

What an adventure Sean ! I can't wait to see the pics!!!!!
Posted Image

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

whip send me the photos
bmc45@wispertel.net
I'll get them posted for ya.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:08 AM

That's a total hunt, congrats Whip! Thanks for sharing some of your story and look forward to looking at those pictures. If they are digital then you can place them in the gallery on HR pretty easily. You might have to downsize the file a bit but it's still a great place to store them and then share them in your story.

Cat, the other white meat, did you get to cook any of it up yet?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#12 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

Way to go sean, cant wait to see some Pics, Congrats again

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#13 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

i sent some photos to mcbruce so he can post them for me (thanks). The meat is surprisingly very good. I like it a lot.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

The meat is surprisingly very good. I like it a lot.

I love cat! I eat Chinese at least once a month. o_0

:lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#15 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

i wondered why it tasted like the chicken at our local chinese buffett..... haha
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users