BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Here is a link to the ones I am looking at:

Bushnell Legacy WP Series

They say they are "weatherproof." Now, some of the other models say that they are waterproof and fogproof. I am trying to figure out if the "weatherproof" means that they are both waterproof and fogproof or what?? I am assuming that's what it means, but I hate to purchase these and it not be what I want. Can anyone help me out here? Kind of throws me off saying "weatherproof" where some of the other models state waterproof and fogproof specifically.

I have been using a cheap pair of Celestron 10-30x50mm's for the last 7 or 8 years now. The zoom lever broke on me the other day, so they are stuck on like 20x or something. lol. These bino's weren't bad at all, except that they fogged up WAY too easily. I like the zoomable bino's for where I hunt, but I want a pair of good ones now. Any ideas?? I'd like to have a 50mm objective and prefer a 10x-30x, but I'd settle for the 10x-22x.

Any other suggestions are welcome! :)
BrandonT

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

Give the Leupold Mohave binos a look see, with 10X42 lens. They are light and fairly small and not their the top of line so they don't cost like that either but a good solid quality pair of binos. Nikon monarch models in the same magnification is a good pair too and I believe both are saying fogg and water proof. Plus you can buy the fog wipes packages from Nikon to add some protection for fogging.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 16 December 2008 - 03:24 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

I am not about to give you advice because my experience in Binos has been dismal. I had bought originally a pair of Tasco 7X50s. These served me for many years. I decided I wanted more power and bought a pair of Bushnell 10x50 with the rocker arm focus. Three problems with these. Big and heavy. Go out of focus very easily. Very difficult to get both eyes to focus clearly on the same object. I then went cheapy with a set of 10x40 Barskas. These are actually pretty clear and focus well for me. A couple of months ago the eyelet where the strap hooks onto the bino broke off. I epoxyed the piece back on but it broke again. I called the company and they will look at my binos if I send it back along with a $20.00 check for shipping and handling. I bought them for only $59.00 so this seems a bit redundant to send 1/3 of the original price just for them to look at it.

I too welcome all suggestions. Brandon and I would like to know.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

I can not tell you why, but I prefer a zoomable pair of binoculars. I have used straight power 7x's and 10x's, but once I had that pair of Celestron 10-30x50mm, I decided I wouldn't use anything else besides zoomables. I hunt from fairly thick brush to VERY open country. I like to be able to "scan" from trail to trail and once I see a deer, then I like to zoom in and see exactly what it is as they come in closer. That's why zoomables is more on the top of my list right now. I have always liked Bushnell binoculars, but like I said before, I'm open to any suggestions. :) I would like to know if the ones I mentioned above are fogproof though. I assume that's what they mean by 'weatherproof,' but then again I could be wrong?

Edited by BrandonT, 16 December 2008 - 09:27 PM.

BrandonT

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

Brandon,

In Bushnell-ese, "Weatherproof" basically just means water resistant. In other words, the product can withstand typical rainy hunting conditions. It is not, however, meant to be out in a monsoon or submerged in water, for example.

The model you inquired about is neither o-ring sealed or nitrogen/argon purged. This means that it can take on water if submerged or if exposed to a particularly heavy rain and also that internal lenses/components can fog due to "extreme" temperature changes or humidity.

Since you've posted a porro prism system binocular, let me say, for what it's worth, that I do prefer the roof prism system to the porro prism system. The trade off is better durability and a lighter/more compact design with the roof prism in exchange for losing some of the depth perception and field of view you have with the porro prism.

If you are convinced that Bushnell is where you want to be, then the Trophy Line is by far the best "bang for the buck" they offer. They are fully multi-coated optics and water/fog proof; meaning the glass is of high quality and the coating(s) allow for a maximum amount of light transmission and that they are indeed o-ring sealed and nitrogen-purged to be 100% fog-free etc. (Every now and then I see these go on sale at places like Gander Mountain for ~$120.) I own a few sets of binos, but I actually like the Trophy 8x42 quite a bit for what they are. They are nice enough to not be considered "junk" and yet inexpensive enough that I don't worry about losing or breaking them. As a result, they are my every day hunting bino. I actually spent a little more money to get the 8x42 over the 10x42 because, to me, the 8x42 were brighter and, obviously, had a better field of view. If I had it to do over again today, I'd probably buy from the Legend Line only because they have RainGuard (actually repels water off the lenses) and a new magnesium chasis which really cuts down on weight. (Of course, I wouldn't enjoy spending the extra couple hundred bucks. :doh2: )

I understand that a zoomable bino is more of a sticking point for you than brand name or anything else. Unfortunately, as you likely already have seen, Bushnell really doesn't offer anything else in a truly water/fog proof zoomable bino until you step up into the Infinity Line to the tune of ~$500. With that in mind, I would really start giving some of the other manufacturers a look. IMO, while Bushnell Elite riflescopes are on par with most any other manufacturer, if not better, the Bushnell binocular lags behind. (It's funny because I feel Nikon is the exact opposite; their binos are good while their scopes tend to leave something to be desired.) The Nikon Action Zoom Series may be right up your alley. They are waterproof (though no mention of the word "fogproof" is made on these binos so I would double-check both with a salesman/online rep) and I've found them online for as low as $119.

Of course, Leupold only offers zoomable binos in the Switch/Power Gold Ring Series which will run you upwards of ~$900. Burris and Vortex don't even offer a zoomable and Tasco, since being bought out by Bushnell, is basically their "bargain" series... So, your options aren't great. But, I'd at least head somewhere to look through a pair of those Nikons before making any decisions. If all else fails, the binos you originally inquired about are nicely priced and at least offer some water resistance. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

Brandon-I bought a new pair of binoculars last year. Did quite a bit of research and finally settled on a pair of Alpens. For a no name company -they make a heck of product at a fraction of the cost of the big names! I almost bought a pair of nikons-once I started getting down to the nitty gritty-I realized they couldn't hold a candle to Alpen. The pair I got are Alpen "shasta ridge" 10x42. They are worth checking out if you were looking to get a good pair of binos...they may save you a little money too.

#7 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

I didn't figure those were fogproof or waterproof by it saying weatherproof. Thanks for the information though. I have been looking at Nikons as well, but I've never looked through a pair personally. Thanks for all the help and suggestions though. I'll keep searching a little longer I guess. :) Or just settle for a fixed power and be done with it. LOL.
BrandonT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users