• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

Sunday was a real nice day here and I got busy helping Eric get more wood in his bin. Then he helped me fill mine and by that time it was too late to shoot as the sun was directly behind the target. Yesterday it rained all afternoon and today it snowed. Looked at the weather report and it looks like there is no such thing as a nice day till the weekend. I am sure that the old charcoal burner is still laying them in there but just have to get em out and prove it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Yep and just to think I saved a deer tag just to go out with the ol' flinter, boy it's going to be loads of fun. :boone:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:15 PM

Wisconsin got hit with that blizzard and then the deep freeze set in. So I have not been out shooting too much. I am sure getting the itch to go shoot. I have another scope set up to run and Wal Mart had a sale on pellets so I bought some pellets.

I also have a flintlock that I want to try some different things out of. So much to shoot. Now if the weather would give me a break.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

I know just what you mean and I feel your pain. It is now Wednesday and I woke up to Temps just about freezing and one minute it is freezing rain and the next it is sleet. It is not expected to be even remotely favorable for shooting till Saturday. Snow and low temps I can deal with but sleet and freezing rain, throw another log in the wood stove and bask in the warmth.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:58 PM

We got about a foot of snow and then it was -19 the other morning. One place near me claimed they had -34 but I think they were hitting the brandy bottle too hard, watching in snow. Today was +7 so I went out and shovelled the back of the truck out as the box was full of snow, cleaned the yard up, and brought up a small load of firewood. The wind is still out there, and even at +7 it feels cold. I know its cold when the old dog wants to go into the house. I have no idea what is keeping that old devil alive, but he loves to be out in the snow...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Sleet, freezing rain and snow here. I'm staying inside untill Turkey Season!!!!! ;) :lol:

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

-15.8 this morning. This cold just does not want to let go for some reason. But the sun is out and it looks like it is warming up. So maybe I can get out and shoot today.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

Weel today turned out to be a sort of ok day to shoot but I had to do some things that have been put off waaay too long due to hunting season. Oh well Saturday is supposed to be sort of ok too. Tonight we are under a weather alert for 2 to 4 inches of snow and freezing rain. Our temps have been ok for this time of year mid 20s to 40 during the day.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

I gotta give you guys credit. You're either very dedicated or very crazy. ;) :peace: :lol:

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

Today is the first day of PAs flintlock season. We have about 1 - 1 1/2 inches of hardpack and ice. Yesterday we got out stuff together. Eric found some very short screws and screwed them into the soles of an old pair of hunting boots. I really did not want to put screws into my relatively new boots so I went Rube Goldberg. I first cut two pieces of paneling to fit my front soles. I then screwed through the paneling. I wanted to put some webbing around them and my boot to hold them on. No luck on the webbing so out came the duct tape. That contraption was very loud but had great purchase in that slippery stuff. On the way back to the truck my one decided to give up and came off. We were over 750 yds from the truck but I made it back walking in Eric's footsteps. After lunch I bit the bullet and put hex headed screws in my boot soles. Believe me that is the only way you can possibly walk on that icy mess. We did see deer but none offered a shot. Oh well Tomorrow it is supposed to rain and the temps are supposed to get up to around 50 so maybe that will help melt this wretched stuff. If you get off the plowed roads you cannot go anywhere in even a 4 wheel drive.

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

You guys be careful. I don't want to hear about any broken hips. :lol: Wishing you both the best of luck.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:34 AM

Spirithawk as slippery as that stuff is the feet will slip out and we will both land on our heads. Does anyone have a spare helmet I can use. Actually this morning is rainy and above freezing temps so hopefully for both the hunters and the hunted things will improve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users