7 replies to this topic

#1 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hey guys, I am currently shooting an old Grizzly XLR with a 44" axle to axle. It is cranked to it's max at 60#. I'm slinging a GoldTip 55/75 with 5" vanes and 125 gr. broadheads. I am looking for a new set up to gain a little more speed. Was looking for some opinions on different arrows and kinetic energy and all that stuff. :D
Posted Image

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

Wayne have you had you current setup chronographed to see how your speed is now?
What is your arrow length or weight on those Gold tips? I think Gold Tips are a good value and fairly medium weigth arrow.
If you went to 100 gr. broadheads and 4" vanes you would pick up some speed there.
Are you considering replacing the bow? And if you are - man that's a big one to fill with recommendations. So many great bows out there now.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

Probably gonna keep this one for this year and change next year.
Never had the speed checked. The arrow weight is 9.2 gr./in and 29" long.
Posted Image

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

Wayne,

There is a very popular belief that a lighter faster arrow means more kinetic energy out of a bow.

This simply is not true.

Below is a graph of arrow weight versus kinetic energy. You will see that contrary to what quite a few think and will tell you.

The truth is lighter arrows mean less K.E., not more.
Posted Image

The differences aren't all that big in KE but the velocity spread can be huge.
Posted Image

You also need to keep in mind what speed will produce the best arrow flight and trajectory for you. Tuning bows for broadhead flight starts to get tough around 260fps at 300fps it can be downright frustrating (and expensive). If your really interested in how this all works. Go to this website.

Huntersfriend
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

Leo cool web site - man that's one of the better ones for shoe :yes: Had to bookmark that one.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Leo. That is some awesome information. I saved it so that I can reference it often. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

Wayne I just read an article where these three went bear bowhunting in Alaska. Two had newer faster bows and the third had a much older, noisy and very slow speed bow and all took P&Y black bears. So like Leo was maybe implying it isn't the speed that kills, Necessarily.

#8 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:14 AM

Wayne I just read an article where these three went bear bowhunting in Alaska. Two had newer faster bows and the third had a much older, noisy and very slow speed bow and all took P&Y black bears. So like Leo was maybe implying it isn't the speed that kills, Necessarily.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users