30 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Watson

Dave Watson

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

I know I can always count on all of you for an honest opinion.

It seems that the new owners of TCA, (S&W), don't see the value of 'ol Davey or Mathews TV. They have dropped us for 2009. So, we become an all bowhunting show by default. Is that good or bad????

My view is this. 20 million rifle hunting tags sold in 2007. 4.5 million bowhunting tags. Do the math. Ratings will go down. And, I have always thought that we, (the archery industry), spend all our time and money to simply re-cycle bowhunters when we need new ones. We need to go OUT of the bowhunting masses to get NEW bowhunters. How many of you started hunting with a rifle and then switched to bow? I did. I always liked the fact that you never could tell what I was going to do next week. Might be rifle. Might be bow. Might be blackpowder.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave :ermm:

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:28 AM

Personally I like the variety of mixing it up between archery and the different gun hunts. That's what I do, so I enjoy watching a diversity of hunting methods rather than just one. Surely there are other gun companies out there to approach? Kimber has some really nice new rifles - try them.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:46 AM

Hi Dave. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I started out waaay back in the early 50s shooting a rifle. At that time there were no local shops that carried anything stick and string. My friend and I thought this form of hunting would be a real hoot. Several mail orders later we found out it was such a hoot that My buddy started an archery shop. Man did that open up the local area to a new form of hunting. Over the years I was a two season hunter for sure. In the mid 70s I became a three season hunter by adding black powder to the hunting mix. Several years ago shoulder and age problems put a hitch in my giddyup for archery. I got pretty serious with the black powder to fill the void. Then this year I submitted for and received a special permit to use a crossbow in regular archery season. This has allowed this old geezer to get back out there and sling some arrows again. Since I am a multiple season, multiple arm kind of hunter I enjoy watching those shows that mix it up too. Was wondering if the economic slowdown is affecting TC too. Why when sales are down the first thing to get cut is advertising. It just don't make cents ah er sense.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

Well, if you listen to the average knucklehead on the Mathews forum (Yeah, I said it! There are some really good folks there I'm glad to "know", but several others do a good job of bringing the collective I.Q. and atmosphere of the whole place down.) then it's a good thing to be archery only on Mathews TV. :rolleyes:

I obviously can't say what would happen from a business stand point. But, I can observe past situations. I can look at "Archers Choice", for example. When they changed things up with "The Choice" and did gun hunts as well as bow hunts for a season or two it seemed like their popularity dropped. It didn't take them long to go back to just being "Archer's Choice". Given that, I think that being all-inclusive is a great idea in principle, but in practice perhaps not so hot. It would almost seem that, where viewership is concerned, perhaps bowhunters are more loyal/repeat viewers of outdoor programming. (That's pure speculation on my part. I'm not trying to start a debate over who tends to be the more "dedicated" hunter most willing to sit and try to glean information from magazines and television etc.)

On the other hand, sometimes you just have to do what you believe in regardless of winning or losing "the popularity contest". You know that. I would hope the true diehards would get over it and get over themselves. You know my feelings on archery and bowhunting. (There's no form of hunting finer!) But, I still enjoy taking up my handgun, flintlock, shotgun, or even the "evil high-powered scoped rifle" and hitting the woods. (So, I'll be watching regardless.) In my opinion, it's time spent outdoors that's of first importance where hunting is concerned and I would like to think more hunters feel that way than not. If the archery itch happens to get on a few gun hunters along the way, it's all the better.

I guess you could say I can see it going either way. Glad I could clear that up for ya. If you need any more definitive answers, just ask. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

Actually I started hunting with a bow. Is wasn't until later on I picked up powder driven projectiles.

My reasons for picking up archery first were simple. I had more opportunity to hunt with a bow than rifle. And the public lands were less crowded.

I say bowhunting might be the better choice for some folks just starting out hunting. It was for me. Concentrate on getting new hunters into the sport. The things that concern them about rifle hunting may not be an issue for bowhunting. Those are the folks we need to concentrate on getting. Not enticing rifle hunters to try something "more challenging".

If you successfully pull in people that are new to hunting that's better for hunting in general.

I think it's an untapped market. I'm sure the "Mathews" boys will understand what I'm saying perfectly.

Edited by Leo, 17 December 2008 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Dave Watson

Dave Watson

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

Kimber rocks. But, out of consideration, I thought I'd give TCA a season to regroup. Then, if they decline, I'll shop for another rifle co. In the meantime, we'll see how Mathews TV does on the ratings with 24 bowhunts and 2 rifle hunts.

DW

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

My personal preference when I'm skimming through the ODC show guide and I see something doing with a bowhunt(s) I'm going to record it on my DVR. Gun hunts only get my attention "if" they are hunting somewhere real special or some big game animal that's of interest to me.

I know I've had this conversation with so many fellow hunters and when a show is about rifle hunting it's not pulling the interest to watch it as does a bow hunting show.

As Jeremiah pointed out as an example Ralph and Vickie AC Media group that does the Archer's Choice show along with the The Choice show on the OTC. ARCHER'S CHOICE holds more interest to me than does The Choice. The Choice does do bows and other weapons other than rifles but for the most part it's the up close camera work of a bow hunt that peaks my interest. Maximum Archery with Andy Ross is a mostly all bowhunts. Easton bowhunting with Fred Eichler or his wife's show Michelle Muzzy bowhunting Bad to the Bone is another pure bowhunting. There are a bunch more that seem to be doing well year after year so far.

I know what the number's say with how many registered gun hunters verses the bowhunts but when it comes to viewers watching the ODC shows my bet is on a bowhunting show. It will grab more viewers and more regular views if they knew it was a bowhunting season on Mathews. You could mix it up using the full line of the Mathews bows like their traditional shooters bowhunting. Just my humble opinion.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

...You could mix it up using the full line of the Mathews bows like their traditional shooters bowhunting...

I'm guessing it'll be hard enough putting that many hunts together with a compound, but you want the man to go stick and string too? :shock:

He might need someone to lend their traditional shooting expertise to help the cause. :shifty:

lol

sig_admin.png

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

I'm guessing it'll be hard enough putting that many hunts together with a compound, but you want the man to go stick and string too? :shock:

He might need someone to lend their traditional shooting expertise to help the cause. :shifty:

lol

I know a bowhunting only show has it's difficulties and traditional bowhunting is tougher yet. Mathews traditional pro-shooters and guys like Jeremiah would be a great show on how to be good at it. It totally different shooting from compounds. And right now there's seem to be a small trend to go back to traditional style from compounds for some archers. Again what do I know ? I know I need :help: ! :zipped:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

...Again what do I know ? I know I need :help: ! :zipped:

:wacko:

(You know I'm just messing with you, right?)

I think it's a good idea. Joel Maxfield could make it look easy. :bigthumb:

sig_admin.png

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

:wacko:

(You know I'm just messing with you, right?)

I think it's a good idea. Joel Maxfield could make it look easy. :bigthumb:

Yep! ^_^ :yes: :lightfart:

Joel has been on the show several times. He's a great suggestion and a strong Mathews shooter and supporter. Mathews is great organization and I bet what ever Dave comes up with will reflect that. Thank you Mathews This is a prime example of what archery can do for the average guy.

#12 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

I suppose it really doesn't matter how many gun tags are sold versus bow tags { I know one guy at least who does both} but rather, who is watching the T.V. program? Gun hunting numbers have remained fairly stable, if not declined somewhat, while Archery has seen steady growth. That being said, I'm not a big fan of any hunting show, I'd rather be doing it than watching it, kinda like some other things I could think of :doh: . To me, hunting aint a spectator sport. I think an all archery program would be just fine, just keep it real and keep it honest and keep the feeders out of the picture. Good Luck

#13 Dave Watson

Dave Watson

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Good points.

Thanks,

DW

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

To me what makes a great hunting show is not what kind of hunt it is, nor what weapon is being used, it's how it's filmed and the heart felt enthusiasm of the hunters. Too many make it seem like one hunts the same as another. Keeping it real, keeping it interesting, keeping it fun and the prospect of learning something now and then are the main factors I look for in a show. Keep doing what you've always done Dave. Give it your best and folks will watch.

#15 Dave Watson

Dave Watson

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

Norm,

Now you got me smilin' too. You're a good soul.

DW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users