30 replies to this topic

#16 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi Dave. I started off with a rifle. A .22 hunting squirles and such when I was 12. Had my first shotgun at 14 then advanced to a rifle (center fire) .243 at 17. Got into archery after I got out of the service in 75. I love all the seasons but archery is my choice as favorite. Muzzle loading is probably my second choice. As for your dilema I love watching a variety of shows. If it is about hunting I am watching. Just ask my wife :D

Steve

#17 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

Norm,

Now you got me smilin' too. You're a good soul.

DW

Thanks Dave. I don't say it unless I mean it. :D I've always enjoyed how your love and respect for hunting has shown in your shows and I've learned a lot too. :clap:

#18 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

I would be interested in knowing how many, or what percentage of the 20 million gun hunters watched hunting programming on a regular basis. I have visited few gun hunting camps over the years, and find a lot of the gun only hunters are one week hunters who see the gun only season as an opportunity to take a week off from the stress of their day to day lives and spend a week away with "the boys". These hunters may typically not be those that would visit a weekly episode on the hunting channel.

And I'd also like to know what percentage of those 4.5 million bow hunters, were also those that purchased a gun tag. Probably a fairly high number.

It has been my experience, that most bowhunters are two season hunters and may be somewhat more enthrawled with the "hunting experience" and are probably a higher percentage of the outdoor programming viewers.

Although my keen interest in hunting for the past 36 years has been centered around bowhunting, I have recently been drawn to in-line muzzleloading in the past couple of years. My choice still remains bowhunting though, if I had to vote one way or the other. The greater challenges in close range hunting scenes such as with bowhunting and muzzleloading will draw and keep a greater audience in my opinion.

I don't think the loss in numbers will be significant as you may find that the majority of your audience has been, and will likely remain predominantly those who have shared the bowhunting experience. Even those hunters who always will remain as gun hunters, still likely view a bowhunting adventure on the tube with a degree of mystique and would likely watch it irregardless of what weapon is used. If I were a bowhunting sponsor, I would look at this as an opportunity to reach a new audience and potentially a new or increased market for my products.

If you're looking for potential ideas for upcoming shows, I can tell you that I cut my bowhunting teeth shooting traditional with a longbow and recurve and still enjoy seeing the odd show where someone still handles a trad system. Bowhunter TV and Muzzy Bad to the Bone are two shows where a couple guys still fling darts from a recurve. I watched a show about 5 or 6 years ago where a guy took a small buck with a longbow during a deer drive, and I found it very appealing. It was one of the best bowhunting segments that I've seen. Drives are difficult to script and the filming has to be adlibbed. Stand hunting ssems to see a lot of communication between the hunter and their cameraperson waiting for the best footage and scene for the shot. That's not something that goes on in my stand when I hit the woods. Scripted....not good!

Most importantly, I think it's important to keep things real, not fake. I've watched a lot of shows where you can tell that the high 5s, the high pitched shrieks and the hugs seemed to be rehearsed or a definate "put on". I really don't like those shows. I like genuine, real people with genuine real reactions.

I know it's hard to put on 13 shows a year with conditions that most of us have to hunt under and guided hunts is likely the only way that any show can meet the quality amount of footage that's needed to fill the time slot and to keep the viewer's interest. I'd just like to say that it is my preference not to watch hunts that would be classified as "canned hunts". Don't like 'em! Don't wan'a watch 'em!

I also don't like those guided hunts where the outfitter, or guide, litterally takes the hunter by the hand hand and hauls him into position then provides every instruction even down to when to pull the trigger or to loose the arrow. The hunt for me isn't neccessarily about pulling the trigger or releasing an arrow. It's the experience in getting to that point that I hold dear.

Now if you could find a bowhunter who used an old recurve that was held together with duct tape and filled the archives with bloopers, irregardless of whether he tagged out or missed, then that'd be an episode that I'd love to watch.

Geoff / TBow

Edited by Geoff / TBow, 17 December 2008 - 09:59 PM.

Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#19 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:35 AM

IF they are truely a fan, then they'll watch what ever your hunting regardless of the tool for the job. But if your looking at the #'s only then find a new sponsor to replace the old one. I started shooting a blue fiberglass bow & bb guns when I was a kid and eventually someone trusted me with a 22 to shoot cans & ground hogs in their orchard. I didnt shoot a bow again until I was 20. Today I hunt with everything (rifle, shotgun, flintlock & bow) for two reasons. One is that I love to shoot. The other is the more tools I have the better chance of filling my freezer.

#20 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

A couple of reasons that archers seem to be more dedicated to their sport is you can practice in your own backyard with archery equipment but most people cannot shoot a firearm in their backyard. Plus archery proficiency must be practiced to maintain the muscles required and to keep good form. Not to say that to become a really good shot with a rifle does not require practice but there are many more places to be able to practice with a bow than with a rifle. I know archers that shoot in their basement but know of no one that can do so with a firearm.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#21 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

One thing that I think might boost ratings is more family oriented hunts. Hunts showing husbands and wives, sons, daughters and fathers and such. We need to stress that hunting is a family oriented sport that all can participate in and enjoy. Even if it's just a hunter's wife enjoying cooking the hunter's bounty she's still participating. My wife doesn't hunt but she loves to make venison jerkey, summer sausage, and various dishes using wild game. To Jason and I that makes her an intricle part of hunting season. One of the shows I enjoy is Jim Shocky's and it never fails that when I talk to someone about his show the episodes with his father come up. Everyone loves those episodes and can't wait to see more. I believe it's because it touches each viewer close to home and brings memories of their own hunts with their own fathers. That's something deeply imbedded in most of our memories. Viewing such episodes does more than entertain. They touch our hearts. Also shows where the adult is teaching his, or her, youngster the ropes are good. Passing on their skills and knowledge. Can't go wrong with shows like that. Just an idea. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 18 December 2008 - 01:27 PM.

#22 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

Dave, I live a few towns south of TCA. This may be why.

09/27/08
"Layoffs hit NH's Thompson Center Arms"
Rochester, NH (AP) -- The New Hampshire's Thompson Center Arms is the latest company to slash jobs in the waning economy.

At least 80 workers received pink slips at the fire-arms maker that is a subsidiary of Smith & Wesson.
http://wbz.com/Layof...er-Arms/3042045

Please keep showing the homegrown hunts at Mathews TV. I love the footage that show the average Joe's
video hunts.

Archers Choice had a brother and sister last week harvesting a giant whitetail buck with a muzzleloader. The young lady was so excited it brought back a world of memories of previous hunts and a hint of a tear in the corner of my eye.

Coalman
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#23 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

Dave, I live a few towns south of TCA. This may be why.

09/27/08
"Layoffs hit NH's Thompson Center Arms"
Rochester, NH (AP) -- The New Hampshire's Thompson Center Arms is the latest company to slash jobs in the waning economy.

At least 80 workers received pink slips at the fire-arms maker that is a subsidiary of Smith & Wesson.
http://wbz.com/Layof...er-Arms/3042045

Please keep showing the homegrown hunts at Mathews TV. I love the footage that show the average Joe's
video hunts.

Archers Choice had a brother and sister last week harvesting a giant whitetail buck with a muzzleloader. The young lady was so excited it brought back a world of memories of previous hunts and a hint of a tear in the corner of my eye.

Coalman

Not to start anything but that was the show called "The CHOICE" and guns come out in their show where Archer's Choice is all about bowhunting. That was Lisa Metheny's daughter and son on their property in Indiana. You're right Coalman it was one of the best shows they've done.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#24 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

I personally like to hunt using any and all methods. I would contend that I am a bowhunter by nature, but an opportunist at heart. If I have an opportunity to hunt an animal, I always try to use a bow, but if push comes to shove I will reach for the rifle, muzzleloader, or pistol in a heartbeat....case in point my Mt. lion hunt last week. Basically I knew a bow would be a difficult weapon to hunt a lion with, so I opted for a lighter, more convenient revolver. I know most all hunters will catch flack from the anti-hunters and so called "traditional" crowd for hunting with modern weapons. However, to me it is all up to personal preference. There are game animals that are extremely difficult to take even with modern weapons. I try to make things as difficult as I can and still harvest an animal in the most humane and ethical way possible. Although I do not shoot a Mathews because I am on staff with PSE, I love watching any and all hunting shows....especially bowhunting shows. I think hunting is hunting, and having a TV show that is all bowhunting will not hinder you at all. Take care and happy hunting.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#25 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

Mathews TV.
Mathews is a bow company. So many would expect it to be an archery show.
Define it as a hunting show and you open up a whole new world, of pistol, rifle, muzzle loader, and archery.

Personaly. I think I'd enjoy seeing the deversity of each one of those hunts. I know you can shoot the eyes off a flee with your handguns Dave. Seeing a pistol hunt, an archery hunt, a muzzle loader hunt, even a cross bow hunt. ( we can skip spear chucking...that I wouldn't enjoy watching ) but the others... yea any and all.

The shows I enjoyed the most, were when you shared camp with friends. One show that sticks out was when you took Jer and Brandon hog hunting. But there were many others you have done as well. Hunting is more then simply, the stalk and the shot. There is a brother/sisterhood with those who enjoy the same experinces. ( that is why we are all here ) There is one guy who is my hunting partner. plain and simple. Mark and I have hunted together for 6 or 7 years now. Rowdy and I have headed north to Canada twice now, to chase bears and big fish. I'd share time in camp with him in a heart beat. RL, Jack, Ron, Huck, Phil. The time spent hunting with these guys is more then just chasing animals. The shows you have done, showing those kinships. Those seem to draw more peoples attention. Method of huntings is second to sharing time in the forest with friends or family.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#26 bukmastr

bukmastr

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

1st off, I think you will find the archery hunters are the more hard core dedicated bunch that will tune in each week... Most bowhunters do not like watching gun hunts however, gun hunters don't seem to mind watching bowhunts... When I released "Marsh bucks" last year I got a few complaints about adding my sons 1st buck with a gun. But, I am not all that worried about ratings or wether or not someone is not going to like what I film or do... I do it my way. The reason I make this statement, is because I believe if you try to hard to make everyone like your show, its going to become work. Your supposed to be having fun, and making some money too... Stay true to what you believe in, and you will continue to grow in popularity and have fun doing it.
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
http://www.huntingbeast.com

#27 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Dave

I personally dont care, gun, Bow, I watch certin shows because of the Host ( No guys I am not trying to Suck UP), and there are other shows I will not watch beacuse of the host, It has nothing to do with what kind of game they are hunting, or what they are hunting with.

Bruce pretty much hit the nail on the head, it is called Memories, that come from the hunt, and time in camp with Friends and Family,

and you my Friend are at the top of the list, I would watch your show and Style any day of the week and twice on Sat. Even if you used a sling shot, its because the the way you do it.
(ok guys now you can say it LOL)

R L Gray
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#28 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

See Dave. Some just watch because it's a hunting show. Some just watch because they're fans. Some watch because of the quallity of the show's content. Many of us watch your shows for all those reasons but also because you'll always be considered a friend. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 December 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#29 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:49 AM

Bow hunting is by far my favorite form of hunting, followed by muzzleloader and rifle. However, when it comes to hunting shows I like a mix of bow and gun hunts.

I'm kind of surprised by the move by S&W (T/C). I guess lay-offs, along with cutting some sponsorships, would help if there are some financial trouble. I know there are a few shows than lost them as sponsors from 2007 to 2008.

Hopefully it is just temporary and T/C will be back on with Mathews TV soon. I know Mathews sponsors "T/C's Game Trails" TV show, at least they were the last couple years.

#30 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

Ok,
here's my .02 cents worth.. I gun hunt and love it..I also just purchased a new switchbak this yr and will be archery hunting in 09 , that being said .. When it comes to outdoor programming i had rather watch an archery hunt. Now i'm not trying to take anything away from gun hunts what so ever because i do love to gun hunt. But i feel theres more excitement in a good bow hunt , On tv it looks a heck of a lot easier to take out a gun and drop a animal versus drawing one into bow range and placing a shot. Everyone has there own opinion on this i'm sure . But this is mine.. Now
I have 27" tv sitting in my bedroom and just in front of it sits a Mossy Oak recliner , now my directv is programmed with favorites ..One of which says hunting ..I have 3 hunting channels that i watch , the outdoor channel being my favorite by far. But i do watch versus and the Hunt channel I don't get alot of hunt time in because of my work shedule but i do watch some great out door programming in the mornings before work.

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users