• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ksnative

ksnative

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

My father brother and I are looking for some information on the available elk hunting units for the upcoming 2009 season. We are looking for a unit that is relatively easy to draw a tag for and presents a decent chance of harvesting a good bull elk. If you have hunted wyoming and have any info it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

#2 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

There is a lot of public land to hunt in Wyoming. It really depends on what you want. Most of the good units require at least a couple preference points. There are guys on this forum that have hunted elk a lot more than I have, and I really couldn't give an educated opinion on good units. I would get a guide if I were in your situation.....they can secure tags for you. If you want references I can help you out. Some of the other guys on this forum might be of more help if you are looking for an unguided public land hunt.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

Welcome Ksnative. Your request is what everyone, especially we flatlanders want. I have never set foot in Wyoming but some of our members have. I would agree if you want assurance of success then go the outfitter/guide route. You are going to unfamiliar country and most likely hunting an unfamiliar animal. I did a public land hunt in CO a couple of years ago and can say I learned a whole lot but came home empty handed. Had a great time but the learning curve was very high. If I were to go back and do it all over again my chances would improve a bunch. One of our members has said do it yourself hunting even if you do it 5 or six times is still cheaper than one guided hunt and by that time you will have learned the ropes. He has a point but that first time the learning curve is very steep. Good Luck
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

Like whip stated WY has tons of public land but you cannot hunt inside a wilderness area unless you have a resident with you. So be watchful your not applying for a wilderness area like savage run or something. I believe you guys can apply for a zone if you wish which should up your chances. The elk are plentiful in this little state

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users