• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:26 PM

My son bought a 257 weatherby mag and I'm trying to figure out which powder that will best suit this cartridge. Myself if your going to load it for speed IMR 7828 is at the top just behind hodgdon h1000 but from what i have read this caliber likes a slow burning powder because of the case size. Even the heaviest lead you can get a 120 grains uses as much powder as a lot of 30 caliber cartridges.
So any input on a good powder or load for this gun would be great. This gun has some interesting ballistics but if I were going this route I would have got a 270WSM and the only disadvantage is it only has two bullet weights but sighted in at 250 yards it only drop 28 inches at 500 yards.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

I haven't reloaded that cartridge but I have shot it. It's a REALLY sweet cartridge. IMHO the very sweetest of the quarter caliber gang. I took a nice Axis deer with a 257WBY borrowed from a friend (weighed about 235lbs). Recoil is in between a 243Win and a 270Win with a whole lot more POP on the end. Very flat shooting cartridge. My brother just got a Vanguard in 257WBY. Really nice gun.

Don't make what I consider to be a major mistake and stuff a Barnes on that cartridge. The Barnes might work great on other calibers but IMO not that one!

The Hornady Interlocks are fabulous in the 257WBY. I'd use them.

I'd also go for the 7828 pwdr for speed. The small diameter interlocks are tougher than most folks realize.
Posted Image

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

Definately go with the 7828. A buddy loads and shoots one of them, and he loves it. He also stuffs reloader 22 in it and gets great accuracy. Have fun!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

RR I do not have any experience with the 257 Wby Mag but my 5th edition Sierra manual lists IMR 4064 for accuracy and suggests IMR 4350 for a hunting load for the 100 gr bullet. For the 117 and 120 grain it recommends the tried and true H4831 powder for both accuracy and Hunting. As with the 243 and 257 rbts you do want to use a slow burning powder to get good results. The 5th edition was done in 2003 but does not list any of the recent powders just the tried and true powders.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

the 257 mag is a fabulous cartridge! I love the 100 grain interlock(i'll second what Leo has already mentioned)-it is absolute death on w.t. deer!!

#6 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

http://data.hodgdon....tridge_load.asp You shoud be able to get more info here. Just enter 257Weatherby and you can go back to data home page to get info for Win and Imr powders.
Joe

Edited by Joe, 25 December 2008 - 10:33 AM.

MR300WM

#7 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

Well Santa got Tyler some IMR 7828 powder a set of dies and brass and 110 grain leads. I also got him Noslers most current reloading manual because we are such Nosler fans. I have shot Noslers for 36 years myself and never been disappointed.
What I have learned is that brass and loaded shells are a little spendy. In are neck of the woods brass runs around $32 for twenty and loaded shells as much as $60 for twenty. I guess because weatherby has the market cornered the price is high. We loaded up a few but have not tested them out.
Joe Hodgdon is where I get a lot of my preliminary information. I was just looking for someone who had some hands on experience with this caliber as far as what powder to use and grain of lead.
It seems someone always has good input for what ever you ask.
Posted Image

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Spoke to Klaus and he is using a top load of 7828 with the 100 grain Hornady interlock. He is getting excellent accuracy with this combo. You will have to experiment to see what it's favorite is.

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

One important note when reloading for Weatherby cartridges. Don't exceed the overall cartridge length you measure on factory rounds. Weatherby's have a little freebore. The bullets "jump" to the lands from the cartridge. This is an important pressure reducing feature for this cartridge. Don't try to load the bullets to just touch the lands. Overall cartridge length is crucial to the accuracy and more importantly the safety of these cartridges.

Also check to make sure the resized brass will chamber before you prime and load it. Sometimes the "Belt Swell" is bad enough to prevent the brass from loading right.

Supposedly there are ways to eliminate belt swell but I've never used them.
Posted Image

#10 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

Leo this important information for anyone reloading a belted case. Unless you are using the same round in different guns you should only have to neck size them. Like my son and I both shoot 270's so full length sizing is a must. Case life on belted case is short compared to straight cases.
The reloading book I have tells you both S.A.A.M.I (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute) O.C.A (overall cartridge length) and gives you the cut length and trim length of the case.
Also as you stated Leo, Weatherby is critical of the free bore.
I will tell you this if you push the limits of reloading a belted case to many times you will have a case pull into sooner or later. By this I mean when you go to eject the round you will only eject the but end of the case. So if you haven't been there I advise you better have the right size tap to screw in the broken off case to knock it out or your taking it to a gunsmith to have it removed.
The belt is the first place a belted case thins and stretches especially if you full length re size your cases. When inspecting the cases for reloading look for a soot line or crack close to the belt.
Your dead on again Leo as you should make sure any re sized case chambers in the gun its being shot from.
Posted Image

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for that info RobertR. My son and I both have 7mm Mags. They both are 7mm T&R Mags which differ slightly from the 7mm Rem. They both shoot so well that the reforming of brass is not too much of a chore. We only neck size them and to keep the cases separate from each other I take a black majic marker make a swipe across the base of the cases for my rifle. We never combine cases when reloading to keep them separate. We also have three 222 rems that I just use black on one, red on another and let one unmarked. Works for me.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 ryalred

ryalred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

My son-in-law's and my .257 Wby Mag shoot the RL22 with Hornady 117 gr Interlock really well. However, my son just got a new .257 Wby Mag and it doesn't like the combo, so I'm going to try some IMR7828. The Reloaders Nest has quite a few loads listed at http://www.reloadersnest.com/rifle.asp

Good luck.
Addicted to reloading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users