1 reply to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

This really is not camp cooking. And I'm not qualified to be in the kitchen - I never passed the test to work around an oven or simply boiling water :D

The fallow buck I took down at Wilderness Lodge this fall was a grand surprise when it comes to enjoying it's meat. My wife is the chef in the family and darn good one - I guess I'm spoiled that way. She has prepared the hamburger in several ways, sloppy Joe's for sandwiches and in red meat sauce for spaghetti and both where grand. She made it up in a vegetable stew and you'd never know you where eating venison. What she did last was stir fried with green and red peppers on rice with strips of the steaks. The original cut of meat was heavily covered in silver sinew. So the strips where the left overs after trimming it. I had one of my sons' over for dinner the evening and after he was half way through his dinner we told him what was the meat in the dish. He was totally surprised thinking it was beef steaks. It's a whole lot leaner and with that I'd say a lot healthier too.

I mention this to those who wonder if fallow deer is a choice cut of venison and I'm a witness to it being a great exotic for the table.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

mark,my fallow is about gone,it is awesome to say the least.i have grilled some butterflied loins twice now.amd my peeps at home scarfed them up!!i have really become a fan of grilled venison,medium rare... :clap:

This really is not camp cooking. And I'm not qualified to be in the kitchen - I never passed the test to work around an oven or simply boiling water :D

The fallow buck I took down at Wilderness Lodge this fall was a grand surprise when it comes to enjoying it's meat. My wife is the chef in the family and darn good one - I guess I'm spoiled that way. She has prepared the hamburger in several ways, sloppy Joe's for sandwiches and in red meat sauce for spaghetti and both where grand. She made it up in a vegetable stew and you'd never know you where eating venison. What she did last was stir fried with green and red peppers on rice with strips of the steaks. The original cut of meat was heavily covered in silver sinew. So the strips where the left overs after trimming it. I had one of my sons' over for dinner the evening and after he was half way through his dinner we told him what was the meat in the dish. He was totally surprised thinking it was beef steaks. It's a whole lot leaner and with that I'd say a lot healthier too.

I mention this to those who wonder if fallow deer is a choice cut of venison and I'm a witness to it being a great exotic for the table.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users