25 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

I am wondering about your thoughts on a good all round universal round that can be used for anything from Yote to deer to elk to moose to bear somthing that would be good or about anything I would want to or have the oppertunity to hunt.

Edited by irinman2424, 26 December 2008 - 09:26 AM.

I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

I'm not the best informed on this subject but my vote would be the 7mm mag.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

That would be a good one (7mm). In fact, it might even be my first choice too, all things considered.

Of course, many will say that it may be a bit heavy for the varmints/predators. Then again, my next choice (with arguably the widest range of load/bullet possibilities), the .30-06, many would say is a bit light for moose. (I don't think so with the right bullet. Might have to load yourself for the best available. But, that's me.)

Which tends to bring most folks to the realization of never being able to have just one gun for all seasons. (Unless they own a T/C with a few different barrels. LOL)

Then again, I suppose you could also always go with something totally off the wall like a .45-70. It will take down a cape buffalo if need be. Again, you may end up ripping a 'yote in half with it, but they'll be dead. :lol: It's more of a "ballistic turd", if you will, than the .30-30. (Mine sighted in at 100 yards is a few FEET high at 50 yards. :lol: It lobs them in there though.) So, that alone probably rules it out of this conversation to most. However, I think it's a good example of just how broad this topic can be depending on who chimes in.

Oh well, that's a little prelude to all of the differing answers you're likely to get. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

I shoot a 7mm mag and absolutely know it will kill yotes and deer. I would be confident even if hunting moose or elk. I believe my confidence would dwindle a bit on the dangerous bears but would have no qualms using it on black bears.

Of course that is exactly why there are so many different calibers out there. In truth you are asking the impossible question. No rifle will do a great job on everything from groundhogs to brown bears. Even the 7mm mag will tear up a coyote or similar size animal. Besides I do not feel comfortable shooting my 7mm mag at such a small animal because of how far the bullet will travel after passing through a varmint especially in the open terrain.

That is why I have several different caliber rifles because I do not consider any rifle as an all around caliber.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

30-06, 300 win mag, 270wssm.

honestly, I loved my .243 for deer and preditor hunting, Its legal for big game ie Elk and Bear in Colorado, but I doubt I would use it on those.
the 300 win mag, it will split a yote in 1/2 like Jer stated, but its taken everything from deer, elk, bear and moose.

Honestly I think I'd go with 2 guns.
a 223 and a 300 win mag those two would cover everything most guys would ever hunt. ( use to be I'd say 243 but in some states i.e. Colorado that is considered a big game round. so you can't hunt yotes with it if there is a big game season going on, unless you have a big game tag. )
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

The .270 is my favorite caliber by far. I hunt almost everything with it. Granted, I have many other calibers for special purposes, but the .270 is the most versatile rifle in my arsenal. It is perfect for deer, antelope, and elk because it is flat shooting and has a good selection of bullet weights. With 150 grain partition I believe it is adequate for elk and even moose. I conform to the Jack O'Conner philosophy that is is not the caliber of the bullet, but shot placement that is important. I have taken bear, caribou, rams and all sorts of critters with the .270 and have never had an issue with it being "not enough gun". I would ask myself what I was going to be hunting most often, and then choose the caliber. If I was going to be hunting elk and moose all the time I would get a .300 to .340 weatherby mag. But deer, antelope, and the occasional elk....definitely a .270. Hope that helps.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

I'm find this interesting and great question. Since I have the TC Endeavor encore and with that I can change the barrels to change the caliber I've been thinking of what barrels I want or calibers to pick out. Santa brought a 28" .243 barrel and fore arm with my name on it. All I have to do is get a very nice scope on it and I'm shooting yotes next month.

But I'm of the opinion the .270 is a very likely candidate for the next buy or barrel for it. With all the ammo selection I'd be able to go almost anywhere with it and not feel under gunned.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

The .270 is by far my own personal favorite. I just don't have much exsperience using it on anything but Whitetails and Pronghorn. Was wondering how it performed on Black Bears as one day I hope to hunt them? I have use of Jason's Ruger Mark II 7mm mag but I truly love to hunt with my T/C Encore .270. :D

#9 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

Black bear + 270=BANG...FLOP.

#10 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

just to clerify one littel piece of this and some may scold me for whatI am about to say. I am not hunting the yote for the pelt. I am hunting them to rid the neusance animals from a farmer who has a large problem with them on his property so I dont really care if it splits them in 1/2 or not its something to hunt year round in Ohio and would be doing him a favor. the 300 wm is one that has been brought up by several that I have talked to along with a 308
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

just to clerify one littel piece of this and some may scold me for whatI am about to say. I am not hunting the yote for the pelt. I am hunting them to rid the neusance animals from a farmer who has a large problem with them on his property so I dont really care if it splits them in 1/2 or not its something to hunt year round in Ohio and would be doing him a favor. the 300 wm is one that has been brought up by several that I have talked to along with a 308

"Erring" to the "heavy" side was where I was looking to go anyway even if you hadn't just said that. :D I know a lot of guys who use a 300wm on whitetail and it doesn't seem to "blow them apart" as a lot of people think it might. To me, they really don't have a lot of recoil either. Good choice.

I truly feel the 7mm is superior to the .308. But, hey, that's just me.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#12 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

Argue any cal. you want and decide if recoil is an issue to you. If you can honestly handle recoil without qualms then err on the heavier side. I'm a 30-06 fan as the range of bullet weights availible can turn an 06 into a gun for any game(large or small) on the North American Continent. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

I like the 300 win mag....

never shot a yote with it, mine has taken, white tail, elk, bear, bison, moose. The moose was the one that surprised me, first shot and you'd have thought I tickled it. That is one tough animal to brnig down. if I ever to that again i'll do hand loads not factory.

now find a make and model ya like :) I went with the browning A bolt medalion. bought it almost 15 years ago, been a heck of a rifle for me. it does have the boss muzzle break. wear ear plugs, following the moose hunt, and rapping off 5 shots,, I couldnt hear out of my left ear for 3 days.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#14 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

Whip I was a Jack O'Connor fan 40 years back and his philosophy still stands (SHOT PLACEMENT)
Yes I have and always shot my 270 because it has never let me down.
On the other hand if you have a questionable shot where a lot of bone is involved and big bone any 30 caliber is a good choice. If I were to get a larger caliber gun I would have to consider what the felt recoil was and how broad the load range was. With most 30's a 125 grain lead to 220 grains is the load range on average. There is a lot you can look at when considering felt recoil such as barrel length, gun stock, recoil pad and muzzle brake etc.
The number one factor is if your going to shoot a lot such as varmints the gun should have less recoil to shoot it comfortably if it's multi purpose gun.
While I would like to test drive one of the short magnums I think I would stay with the standard calibers for one reason. Some boast a little more muzzle velocity but if your reloading they also use more powder at approximately the same velocity as the standard calibers.
Also if your a reloader the belted magnums reloading life of the case has a shorter life span. You may only get upwards of a half dozen reloads out of a case unless your only neck sizing the case and then you might get a few more reloads out of the case.
I will stick with my 270 for most north american game and if I had a chance at a big brown bear my 300 H&H would do it. If I was to get bigger caliber my choice the 375 H&H.

Edited by RobertR, 27 December 2008 - 07:31 AM.

Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#15 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

I have several caliber rifles and love them all. Like that helps. Well my fav. was the BAR 300 Win mag until I decided to sell it and get the Rem. 7mm mag. which is now my favorite by far. I do shoot the 270 rem. and as far as an all around rifle that would be my choice to someone who is wanting a great flat shooting rifle. My 30.06 I haven't shot in a while other than range time. It is still a great choice. My .243 is retired and will come out of retirement when the grand baby boys are old enough. I will start them off on that for deer hunting of course after bow season. All of these rifles are a great choice. Just head to the gun shop and pick any of these up and see which one appeals and feels the best. A lot of folks won't hunt big game with the .243 but like Sean said it is the shot placement not the caliber that counts unless you are hunting cape buffalo then go with what Jer suggested the cannon. The round I shoot for all my deer hunting in all these rifles is the ballistic tip in the 150 gr. load.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users