25 replies to this topic

#16 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

I will go a little differant route. Go and handle all the differant guns you can and the one that fits and feels right in your hands let that be the one. The same rifle in a differant caliber might not feel the same. You will shoot better with a rifle that feels like it is a part of you while this can be aquired it is better when the rifle just feels right. I don't care if its the cheapest or the most expensive also don't be afraid of a used rifle as most doesn't get shot enough to hurt them. If you get a choice of calibers I vote for the 300Winnie. What would you except from me. You can get bullets from 110gr to 220gr.
MR300WM
MR300WM

#17 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

Jer,

BINGO, the 7mm Rem mag can handle it all. That caliber would be my first choice. The old adage, "it's not the bow, it's the indian" can be applied here as well. I like what Joe says, I personally know that any caliber in the proper hands is lethal. I have killed several elk with my .243 and have all the confidence in the world shooting it. Who could possibly argue with the tried and test 30-06? When and if the do-do hits the fan, my M1A1 in .308 is the first gun I'm grabbing.

I really think the trick is finding a caliber and gun which suits you and your needs. Make her yours-shoot her plenty. The gun and the shooter must blend -become one. When this happens, it become instinct.

Best of luck in your search Todd.
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#18 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

I would have to vote 7mm mag as well
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#19 mikeothmer

mikeothmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting,Women

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

I would have to agree with most of what the others have said, and I own most or have owned most of those calibers. I absolutly love my 300 WSM ! I use it for any big game but I reload and match the bullet with the game. I use Barnes Bullets for anything that I want to stay down. I call them my flying chainsaw, they really put the hurtin on! I like these big guns in a auto that smooths out the recoil and helps me be more accurate. I practice alot at long shots just like archery makes those 100 yard shots a slam dunk! Most hunters have the original box of shells that they bought with the gun. Fact! Point is don't be scared of used guns try what you want and if you don't like it trade it for something else. Yeah it might cost a few bucks to find what you like but like a friend of mine always tells me "Whats the price of an education" ! Be comfortable with what ever you choose and PRACTICE!
Anything worth doing is worth doing wrong, at first!

#20 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

270 is my vote for all around!! but if i had only one gun to hunt all for the rest of my days,hmmmmm :hmm: i would go with my 30-30,it hammers critters and is lightweight,and true reliable action.
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#21 PA SILVERBACK

PA SILVERBACK

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Archery Hunting, Anything with the Kids,Hunting with the Wife, Harleys, Anything Outdoors..

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

I used to Be in the Big Bore Mag Guns, But after seeing My Bud drop an elk at 250 yards with a 243, I kinda changed My perspective on that... I sold My 7mm and bought a .308... But Also, now I try to kill everything with a Bow, So I really aint that Much Help..LOL....But the All Round Gun For Me would be a PA favorite 30-06 with Core Lokts...Wide range of Lead for that Gun .. Everything from varnmit loads to 220gr round tips for Moose..
A mans Character is a sign of His Destiny

#22 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

thats what Im leaning towards is the 30-06 or 308 thanks everyone for your input
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#23 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

thats what Im leaning towards is the 30-06 or 308 thanks everyone for your input

Personal opinion...there is no more versatile cartridge than the .30-06. It has readily available, factory loads to handle every huntable species in North America.
The .300 magnum lines excel on the big ones...the .270 / 6mm / and such on deer size...the .243 and smaller on varmints...
The .30-06 has loads for each of those categories.

Bob :yes:

#24 ryalred

ryalred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

I would have to go with the 30-06. There is a tremendous amount of readily available factory ammo for it, and as a reloader, there is just a tremendous amount of load possibilities from very light projectiles to those heavy enough for the largest North American game animal. You won't go wrong by getting a 30-06. I know its an old caliber, but the fact that it maintains such a high sales figure year in and year out is a testimony to its versatility and effectiveness.
Addicted to reloading

#25 doubleA

doubleA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Shooting, Handloading, Hunting then repeat

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

There are many, many choices but there is no such "best" cartirdge for everything you have listed. With that said, if I had to chose it would be the old 30-06, it's been doing it for over 100 years. :yes:
+Life is good, give God the glory +

#26 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Bottom line, as said, get a rifle that fits and feels good. Caliber wise? It's not the caliber of the bullet that kills, it's where you put it. Unless you're hunting elephants or water buff. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users