8 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

I bought a scope and mounted it on my 50 cal muzzle loader I was told by several that it would be fine. the problem that I am having is hard to explain I will try and do it so bear with me. after mounting it on the gun when I look through the scope I get a clear picture but if I shift my head to the right for example the crosshair shifts to the right also (using the front site as a referance) same for the left, up, down. I get a pattern that is alright with it as long as I take the time to line up the verticle line of the crosshairs with the front site but should not have to do this. any suggestions on what would cause this?? its a 1.5-5 power X 20 scope but the thing that I thought was strange is that it dont have a front bell on it looking at the side of it kinda reminds meof a mag light and you look down the wider end of it for the sighting picture
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

At what distance were you observing the crosshairs moving when you move your head. What you describe is called parralax Usually a shotgun scope is set to be parralax free at about 50 yds. Anything more or even less will cause parralax. It does not sound like you can adjust your scope.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

basing it on when you look through the scope you can see the screw/bolt from the front site that is broke, when you lookthrough and see the crosshairs and that bolt and move your head it wont line up with the bolt anymore (you cn only see the bolt at low power anyting above 3 and you loose the bolt)(it is a 1.5-5 power) with that paralax will it change the aim point (hardto ask or explain the question)(if I have it sited n with the crosshair on that bolt and shoot it with it to the right lets say will it shoot further to the left?)

Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

What you need to do is set up a target at about 50 yds and set the rifle on something solid and without touching the gun, look through the scope and move your eye around a bit and see if the crosshairs move in relation to the target. The reason you can see the front sight on the lowest power is the field of view is bigger than at higher settings. If it were me I would sight the rifle in at 50 yds and do not be concerned with whether you can see the front sight or not. At the very short distance from the scope to the front sight there could be a pronounced bit of parralax. There is no fix for your particular scope for the parralax as there is no adjustment feature. Only those scopes with an objective bell adjustment or one back at the turrets can be adjusted for parralax.

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

thanks Paul

Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

Todd all scopes have parrallax. The factory usually sets a rifle scope to be parrallax free at 100 or 150 yds. Only at those yardages will the scope be completely free from parrallax. Most shotgun scopes are set at the factory to be free of parrallax at 50 yds unless the scope is intended to be used on a slug gun then it may be set parralax free at 100 yds. Yes parrallax will move the POI around because the crosshairs are no longer in line with the bore. The older scopes were the worst for this but the newer scopes do not seem to move around so much. The focal point of all those lenses in a scope is the reason for parrallax as those lenses can be focused at only one distance. You can get a scope that has a parrallax adjustment feature but they are going to be rather expensive. Usually parrallax is not so bad at the lower powers but if you get one of about 12 power or more parrallax can be quite pronounced and many of those scopes have a parrallax adjustment.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Yep, it's a Parallax issue. Paul covered thoroughly.

If you can concentrate on where you anchor you cheek exactly the same every time, you will greatly reduce the error.
Posted Image

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

I use a Simmons 2.5x20mm on my Knight Wolverine LK-II and have the same parallex issue. Its sighted dead on at 50 yards and I ignore the front sight. After all if I wanted to use the sights I would not have scoped it. Just make sure you address the rifle the same way as much as possible. So far this cheap $19.95 scope has been holding up well and taking many 90 grain loads through it.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

yep thats the scope I am tryng to get the same seat with my cheak every time but maybe Im being too picky about it seems like it would be not exact every time and throw my pattern a bit

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users