223 Got The Job Done

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

Well today we made the trip down to Woodland Park and met up with Larry and Mel. The girls took the credit cards and headed out shopping, Larry and I headed to the rifle range to burn some powder.

Now the Ruger M77 Mark II, is a sweet gun. I have it in 243 composit stock, stainless barrel. and now I have it in 223 laminat stock , bull barrel.

Posted Image

At first the rifle feels heavy, much heavier then my 243. It isn't something I would want to lug around the mountains ( was my first thought )

I love the look of the stock and the finish. awesome looking rifle.

the fore stock is a diffrent design, wider and flatter. Feels great when you grip it. , and gives a great base for attachment of bi pods.

The trigger on my 243 is tight, and a tad heavy. There is no travel and around 5 lbs of pull.
On the 223 there is some travel but once you take that out, its a very crisp sensitive trigger.
very light, with the travel you feel it come up to firm and then it fires. great for off a bench and accuracy.

We had the rifle sited in in about 15 shots. This was drilling dead center bullseyes at 200 yards. I have a Leupold 3x9 scope on it.
Posted Image

As I was tuning it in, Larry was watching through the spotting scope and kept giggling. DUDE YOU GOTTA SEE THIS ( ok is this a ploy to get his hands on my new rifle? ) see what Larry.

You are leaving vapor trails , I can watch the bullet all the way to the target.

So we switched and he squeezed off a few shots, and I got to watch the vapor trails.
Now I've seen the look in Larrys eyes when there is a box of HOHO's in front of him....The look I saw in his eyes, after he shot that rifle....was nothing short of pure lust.

It really is one of the sweetiest shooting rifles I've fired. Straight out of the box, its smooth, bolt is smooth and firm, shells feed clean, trigger is good, weight of the rifle helps hold firm and almost no recoil.

So after playing with the 223, the 243, the 9mm baby eagle and the 44 mag S&W 629 Larry says, ya ready to go call some yotes?

Posted Image

Posted Image
We headed out and found a spot and set up. We started using calls, and had the yotes howling in to time. we were looking down a ridge line with draws on each side. Larry has pulled yotes up out of the draws on a number of occassions.

As we are sitting there calling and listening to all the howling. I see something move. pull up my glasses and look....pssst hey Larry...there is a bobcat sitting out there about 150 yards.

He looks, where?
See the pine with the 2nd trunk coming out the right side? he's right behind that. He looks yep there it is....in the snow, looking right at us each time we'd let out a call.

Ok I have my lic. but I didn't plan on hunting bobcat today...heck I hadn't planned on hunting them at all....I'm not even sure when season opened. Larry says if you pass this up and season was open you'll be sick...yea bt if I take the shot and we are not in season, I'm in deep dodo...
Here is where it gets really commical. Larry grabs his cell phone and speed dials DOW.
WHO HAS Division of Wildlife on speed dial ? Good thing for me Larry does :)

I am looking through the scope watching the cat and going boy this will look awesome as a full body mount...and I hear Larry ask...could you tell me when Bobcats are in season?
and over the speaker I can hear, they are currently in season and will be till mid Feb.
Thank you and the phone clicks shut....as it does my first shot squeezes off.
The cat just sits there, doesnt move and I'm stunned, how could I have missed, we just sighted this rifle in and was driving tacks.
Larry says I saw a snow puff right behind him, you were inches high.

I lower the cross hairs move to the right a bit for a better body shot. Squeeze off shot 2 and see the cat spin and then loose it.

We head down and find where it was laying, find blood about 6 ft away where it landed after the hit, we then found 2 more drops of blood and nothing.
We followed the direction the blood took us, no tracks, no blood no nothing. We were scanning trees to see if he went up, couldnt find him. We spent close to an hour going up and down the draws looking for any sign of him and finaly decieded it must have been a bad hit.
We headed back to where it all started and found where he had been when I took the shot.

Ok lets try this a second time...here is the impression in the snow...over here is the first splatter of blood I stop and look the direction of the next two blood spots and off to my left about 10 yards out, there he lays under a tree and I see his last twitch of movement.
Posted Image

The 2nd effort means we came home with a trophy rather then a lost animal.

Posted Image

Once again it was the highest of highs, to the lowest of lows back to the highest of highs :)
I have the perfect spot in the house for him, sitting on a log beam over looking the door as you enter the house :)

Thanks Larry, for helping me sight in the rifle and for taking me yote hunting, and for having DOW on speed dial :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

Way Cool Bruce!
Congrats on the cat and on spending an adventure with Larry!
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

Congrats on the new rifle. My son-in-law has an M77 in 257 rbts and it is a sweet shooting rifle. Congrats on the cat. Here in PA we need a special bobcat permit to get one.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

Yup, it was a great day. Can't wait to see the mount. He was one beautiful cat - fat, shiny, healthy. It'll look great on that log beam over your dining room.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

Nice Bruce Mountain Lion "Light" :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

Way to go Bruce!!!!
If you would please take a pic of the mount when it comes back...
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

Posted Image

no doubt we will do that :)
or ya can just come for a visit and see it first hand :)

Edited by McBruce, 31 December 2008 - 06:55 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

Awesome buddy. I'm so happy for you. Nope you can't go wrong with a Ruger.

#9 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Way to go Bruce! :clap:

a .223 is going to be one of the first barrels I get from my Encore Pro Hunter.

#10 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

Way cool, great way to end the year.
Posted Image

#11 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

Way to go, can't believe that kitty gave you time for a phone call. :clap:

#12 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

You guys have way to much fun out there. :clap: My brother in law has a nice bob over his mantle and it does look great.

Steve

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:59 AM

That's plain an awesome day! Getting it done is right too, anyway you look at it. The winter coat on tabby cat ought to be a great looking mount. Congrats! :clap:

I hope the C.C. didn't get wasted too. :lol:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#14 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

no doubt we will do that :)
or ya can just come for a visit and see it first hand :)

Well Bruce I got some things going on around home here for a year or two but
in the very near future I would love to come out to CO again. :D
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#15 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

we got a spare room eric....just let me know when :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users