Man...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

I added this forum a week or two ago because I thought there
may be interest. But, all I'm hearing in here are crickets chirping. :lol:

You mean to tell me nobody here shoots a stick and string? :blink:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:42 AM

McBruce shoots the sticks around here !

I perfer traditional bowhunting myself as I spent many years hunting that way but have shifted to a compound the past several seasons. The urge to return is getting stronger though.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:46 AM

After Flintlock season I have some picture taking to do and will post them here when accomplished. I no longer hunt with either traditional or Compound due to shoulder problems. I do have a new secret weapon that I must take a pic of.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

I posted a story about getting long bow made for my wife this past summer. Well I had not had any real experience with them so I was reluctant to even pick one up. Totally different mind set shooting one compared to compound bows and once the bowyer showed me a few pointers I ordered one for myself to be made. I hope by next deer season to be able to shoot accurately enough out to 25 yards to possibly hunt with it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

I posted a story about getting long bow made for my wife this past summer. Well I had not had any real experience with them so I was reluctant to even pick one up. Totally different mind set shooting one compared to compound bows and once the bowyer showed me a few pointers I ordered one for myself to be made. I hope by next deer season to be able to shoot accurately enough out to 25 yards to possibly hunt with it.

"You can do it!" (quoted from the movie "The Waterboy" :lol: )

I know for me I totally bag my compound form and anchor points and just sight right down the arrow when I shoot the stick and string. "Sight" is probably not the right word though. It's more of a glance as my focus is the target and the bow/arrow/string are blurred. (Almost like seeing something with your peripheral vision.) If the string and arrow are inline in front of my eye then I know I'm on left/right. I adjust this as the draw progresses. I hold three fingers under the arrow (none above) and the tips of my fingers (or edge of the tab if I'm not shooting bare fingers) comes right to the center of my chin. Everything comes together almost like I am "pointing" at the target with the arrow. It's totally cool! I still sometimes wonder how it all just seems to come together more often than not. The eye and brain are amazing creations. Inside of 30 yards is consistent. (How guys can still hit a paper plate every time beyond that is beyond me though. LOL)

I started shooting a bow at 13 with a hand-me-down compound. It was a Bear Whitetail Hunter. I shot it instinctively. Had I known then some of the principles I've picked up I may never have put a sight on in the first place. (It's kind of a shame.) I love to shoot "traditional" now... Though I must admit that I will run aluminum or even heavy carbon arrows through them as I just can't bring myself to get into it enough to make my own cedars.

I hope you enjoy it above all else. But, I'll be pulling for you to get "hunting accurate". :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

"You can do it!" (quoted from the movie "The Waterboy" :lol: )

I know for me I totally bag my compound form and anchor points and just sight right down the arrow when I shoot the stick and string. "Sight" is probably not the right word though. It's more of a glance as my focus is the target and the bow/arrow/string are blurred. (Almost like seeing something with your peripheral vision.) If the string and arrow are inline in front of my eye then I know I'm on left/right. I adjust this as the draw progresses. I hold three fingers under the arrow (none above) and the tips of my fingers (or edge of the tab if I'm not shooting bare fingers) comes right to the center of my chin. Everything comes together almost like I am "pointing" at the target with the arrow. It's totally cool! I still sometimes wonder how it all just seems to come together more often than not. The eye and brain are amazing creations. Inside of 30 yards is consistent. (How guys can still hit a paper plate every time beyond that is beyond me though. LOL)

I started shooting a bow at 13 with a hand-me-down compound. It was a Bear Whitetail Hunter. I shot it instinctively. Had I known then some of the principles I've picked up I may never have put a sight on in the first place. (It's kind of a shame.) I love to shoot "traditional" now... Though I must admit that I will run aluminum or even heavy carbon arrows through them as I just can't bring myself to get into it enough to make my own cedars.

I hope you enjoy it above all else. But, I'll be pulling for you to get "hunting accurate". :)

There is a sense of spontaneity and naturalness to the style of traditional archery that compounds looses with all the hardware like rests, sights and releases. And form like you pointed out is in itself a change in posture, drawing the bow and to anchoring. Definitely more freedom to traditional and way faster shooting with less complexity in the sport.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 woodswalker

woodswalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Trad archery,Trapping and woodscraft

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

It is just gonna take awhile for a few more stick shooters to find there way in here.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

I was always pretty good at instictive shooting. I just looked where I wanted the arrow to go and it went. Kinda like instictive pistol shooting, just point.

#9 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

There's a couple of hunting shows on the tube that have trad shooters that I like to watch. Fred Eichler shoots trad sometimes and the guys on "Bowhunters TV" sometimes use stick bows.

It sure brings back fond memories when I see them out there hunting without all the gadgets. I occassionally pull out the stick bow myself. The last 3D shoot I went to a year ago, I took my 55 lbs Browning recurve that I started hunting with 38 years ago. Did I win? NOPE! Did I have fun? You bet'cha! :boone: :D

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#10 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

I added this forum a week or two ago because I thought there
may be interest. But, all I'm hearing in here are crickets chirping

WhWhWhWhWhWhWhWhWhWhWhWhWhWhwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(That's the wind blowing by the way!)

I'll keep rolling along
Deep in my heart is a song
Here on the range I belong
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds 3:)

And just like Tom Hanks in "Cast Away", pretty soon I's is gon'na be yelling, "WILSON!!!!!!!!!!" :D

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#11 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'm a relative newbie.

Started shooting recurve last summer and shot the 3d tournaments at the local club with it.

Didn't kill anything with it last fall - hunted about a half dozen times with it. Missed a turkey at 22 yards (never do that again) and missed a doe at 15 yards (gapers need to see the end of the arrow in low light).

I'm still at it. I'm shooting the 3d's again at the club, getting better and loving every minute of it.

Edited by Hatchet Jack, 17 March 2009 - 10:43 AM.

"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users