• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

any tips on removing the wraps?
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

hot water
put a deep sause pan on the stove and fill with water and bring to boil...dip arrow into hot water for 10-20 seconds, start peeling wrap..will need to repeat to keep glue soft, do not hold arrow in water to long as high heat can effect your carbon arrow shafts.

a sharp thin knife or a curved fletching remover helps..just don't cut into the shaft.

once it is off, use some ajax or comet and a scrubby sponge to clean up the glue

wipe clean and dry

you are ready to re wrap and fletch.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

I sometimes skip the hot water part and go right to the peeling part with a Norway fletching scraper tool and or a dull bladed box type knife. Depending on how much glue is on it after the vinyl wrap is off I might continue with the blade scraping it or take a rough scubbing sponge to remove the rest.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 02 January 2009 - 09:19 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

Yep Bruce is right too much exposure to hot water can affect your arrows. So be careful.

Warping and deformation of isophthalic resins starts to occur at 140F. Water boils at 212F so the trick is don't allow the shafts to get too hot.

In industry, adhesive vinyls are mostly removed with a heat gun and a scraper.
Posted Image

#5 wishbone

wishbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

I sometimes skip the hot water part and go right to the peeling part with a Norway fletching scraper tool and or a dull bladed box type knife. Depending on how much glue is on it after the vinyl wrap is off I might continue with the blade scraping it or take a rough scubbing sponge to remove the rest.

Thats it..Norway Zip Strip.Keystone has them.
Strip it down and then hit with a Scotch Brite pad.
Then clean with acetone.Simple fast and very effective.
Mathews Bows/Easton Arrows
Shimano Reels/St.Croix Rods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users