• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

well i am going to make some changes this year to my rig, i am shooting my fred bear and i have no compaints of the bow itself./I am thinking of going back to aluminum shafts,maybe superslams or xx75s.reason being i have shot one deer and 5 hogs with the 350 carbons and just havn t had the penetration and durability that i would like.. i am also going away from my single pin sight to a multiple. i switched to slick tricks this past year,i shot one deer but it ran quiet a distance .so maybe i may look at the 2 blade rage,dont know.going to take my slick tricks to texas in july as well as some rage 2 blades and do some field test!! :)- any of you advancing forward or taking two steps back?
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

I'd like to be shooting a Mathews Reezen. But, everything I have on the XT would likely just be moved over. (Except I might go to one of the new micro-adjust Copper John pro sights and retire the older style Pro 3 I have now.) Though I shoot nothing but aluminum arrows for indoor spots, I can't say I'd ever go back to aluminum arrows for hunting. If I was having problems with my current shafts, I'd surely try another make/model before taking that step. I've blown through several animals with the same arrow. (CX Maxima 250 - before that, GT 55/75) I just wash it, check it for damage, screw on a new broadhead and away I go. I think every aluminum I ever shot at a deer ended up bent and/or snapped in half. Of course, I was young then and there's a chance my bow wasn't in great tune. I'd investigate that too before changing anything if I were considering it. JMO. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

The only changes Im making are with me. I now have a yard I can shoot 20 yrds in. I could do 30 but then I wont have a backstop & I might hit the neighbors above ground pool if I miss. I will work on my form more as well as my patience so I dont push a deer that I shouldnt again.

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

For me, just for the challenge, I think I am going to start shooting right handed.

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

pretty much sticking with the same ole set up... my LX.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure if I will have a Reezen to switch or not. I am building my checking account up (more than usual) for a Mathews Reezen. I'm going to wait until April or May before trying one out. The biggest reason why I'm wanting a Reezen is an increase in KE. I love my Switchback, and every whitetail I've shot with it I've gotten a complete pass through. That is with a 380+ grain arrow shooting in the high 280 FPS range and producing about 70ish ft/lb of KE. With a Reezen, I could get a 450-460 grain arrow to be in the high 290 FPS range and get around 82-85 ft/lb of KE.

If I go with a Reezen, everything will be new. Things I'm pretty set on already is a Schaffer rest (really like it), Mathews T5 Quiver and a G5 Meta peep. Not sure on a sight or stabilizer yet. I really like the Stealth stabilizer on my Switchback, but it isn't available in Lost Camo. I may order one in black and have it dipped in Lost though. Not sure on the arrows either.

If I stick with my Switchback, the only change will be the arrows. I went with GT Pro 55/75's last year, but they are significantly lighter than what I want. This bow will have new arrows regardless. If I get a Reezen, it will be using whatever arrows my Reezen is using.

#7 RickyM

RickyM

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

I will be shooting a Mathews Monster, might get the new axcel sight, and new mathews rest for it also..I'm planning on keeping my DXT, although I might have to rob it if I can't afford all the stuff I want for my Monster right off the bat! :D :D

#8 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:45 AM

I would love to get a compound this year to replace my aging recurves, extend my range etc. Just don't know if it's in the cards though.
Posted Image

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

I went to the gun shop yesterday to reorder the forearm to my TC Encore for my new center fire rifle barrel (the shop ordered in the wrong one) and they also sell Mathews bows.

I walked over to the archery section after I got the rifle problem taken care of and shot the demo of the new Reezen bow. Now I have read all sorts of reviews on it and was second guessing it after reading those comments. It was setup pretty much as a bare bow, just a bodoodle two prong style rest and d-loop. 28" draw at 66# and that was a setup perfect for me. I was very impressed on how smooth it drew back. I shot it several times and didn't knock off the arrow off the rest ever. It definitely feel different than the DXT and feels faster. I shot into a bag target backup with layered foam targets and shot through the bag and deep into the foam. It has some punching ability! I brought my own release with me thinking I'd take a few minutes and try it out and I was liking it a whole bunch at the end of shooting it.

But I'm holding out till I shoot the Mathews Monster bows before even thinking of any changes this year. My setup right now is working just fine with maybe one change in my arrow rests. I'd like to see how the new Mathews arrow rest turns out before I try it out.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

LOL,MARK ,YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST WALKED AWAY!!THERE IS SOOO MUCH COMPETITION WITH BOW COMPANIES TRYING TO OUT-DO THE OTHER,WE AS HUNTERS WILL GO BROKE,WITH NEW BOWS COMIN OUT EACH YEAR, FASTER THAN THE LAST WHEW!!HOW DO WE KEEP UP AND STILL HAVE MONEY IN OUR CHECKING ACCOUNT.ILL JUST STICK TO MY BEAR FOR NOW, IF I COME INTO SOME JINGLE MAY GO WITH THE TRUTH 2,MAYBE THE DARK HORSE,SINCE I SOLELY HUNT GROUND BLINDS THE BLACK IS PRETTY WICKED LOOKING,I AM IMPRESSED WITH WHAT BEAR ARCHERY IS DOING THESE DAYS.MAN I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BOWHUNTING,ITS ALL I THINK OF,AFTER CHURCH OF COARSE! :pray:

BILL

Edited by 7pointbuck, 04 January 2009 - 12:28 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#11 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

After going out with the rifle this past weekend & with the temps so low I think I'll have to get a new bow release. I'd have liked to have taken my bow but with my ski gloves so think in the wrist, I wouldnt be able to close my strap on release. I need one of them hand held releases to wear during cold weather/late season hunts.

#12 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Looking forward to see what HHA comes out with this year as far as sights go for the bow. Gonna experiment with a few different arrow set-ups, but I'm sticking to the Guardian for another year. I honestly haven't shot a better shooting bow for my needs.
Posted Image

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

LOL,MARK ,YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST WALKED AWAY!!THERE IS SOOO MUCH COMPETITION WITH BOW COMPANIES TRYING TO OUT-DO THE OTHER,WE AS HUNTERS WILL GO BROKE,WITH NEW BOWS COMIN OUT EACH YEAR, FASTER THAN THE LAST WHEW!!HOW DO WE KEEP UP AND STILL HAVE MONEY IN OUR CHECKING ACCOUNT.ILL JUST STICK TO MY BEAR FOR NOW, IF I COME INTO SOME JINGLE MAY GO WITH THE TRUTH 2,MAYBE THE DARK HORSE,SINCE I SOLELY HUNT GROUND BLINDS THE BLACK IS PRETTY WICKED LOOKING,I AM IMPRESSED WITH WHAT BEAR ARCHERY IS DOING THESE DAYS.MAN I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BOWHUNTING,ITS ALL I THINK OF,AFTER CHURCH OF COARSE! :pray:

BILL

That was running through mind Bill, if I buy this one what I'm I going to do with other bows :huh: :rofl:
They shoot so well for me I can't see letting them go.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users