10 replies to this topic

#1 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

Here is the story of May 19th 2006. Awoke @ 4am and got dressed, Still raining like the last 6-8 days have been. Stopped at the local convience store for a cup of coffee.
4:15am parked and was heading to the far end of the field to get set up for a much anticipated meeting with Mr. Longbeard. Decoy in place and us setled in up against some nice trees for cover from both the turkeys eyes and rain. Off in the distance 1 gobbled, so we started to call only ot be interupted by a pack of Coyotes about 100 yards form us. The look in Tyler's eyes was of tears and he said " Dad there won't be any Turkeys here now." After about 10 minutes we packed up and headed out. I made the comment that we were gonna hafta hope to see some in a field somewhere and sneak attack in order to get them. Well to try and keep this story short. We went to his "Favorite" spot and when we walked in there was a nice Tom strutting about 800 yards down the cornfield. We drove down and came in from another direction to try and sneak in from another side and get a shot. On our way across this grass road I noticed the tom lookng in our direction then noticed a hen headed for the road. We backtracked and got set up on the knoll just before the grassy road. As we did another Turkey gobbled off in the direction we were headed in and as we sat down 3 came running in from that dorection not giving me a chance to get prepared with a call or nothing. The 3 new turkeys tried to head for the ones in the corn field but had to stop to look at the big gully and brook running through it. giving me time to pull the call out and give a bunch of soft yelps and clucks. They turn too look and then got curious, Started walking towards us along the grassy road and after a bit I whisperes to Tyler to try to take the front one he had the biggest beard.
5 minutes later i was tryin gto get Tyler to shoot cause I had a great angle trough the trees @ the tom but he didn't and help off till the tom walked into a "Stop sign" size hole in the brush and @ 40 yards he let the Heavy shot fly and folded the tom up. The others with him stopped and looked almost came back to jump on him then ran off. I got up and asked Tyler what he thought and why it was taking him so long," I can't belive I hit him" was his responce. We walked over High 5ing each other and I gave him a big hug and told him I love Him and was so proud of him. He goes look there is someone in the other field... There was another person walking in the other field where the 3 came running from apparently the person had pushed the turkeys to us with out Knowing as they were just out walking with a blue rain coat and umbrella. What luck huh??????? Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

Bowdoc Jim I have to hand it to you - you two were ready to make changes and adapted to the situation and pulled it off - it's always a great story when you make it happen. Congrats guys! ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

:D Way to go Tyler!
Congrats Jim, glad you got a break in the rain!
Posted Image

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

:thumbsup: i LIKE LEGS AND THIGHS . :yes:

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

Congratulations to you two. moving on a gobbler is always chancy at best but it is so sweet when it works.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

Congrats!

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

:D That's so cool when the kids score. Congrats Tyler from a fellow turkey :hunter: in PA. ;) B) B) And thank you Jim for giving him the chance.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:10 PM

Congrats Tyler!

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#9 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:24 AM

:thumbsup: Congrats to you both. Excellent turkey work. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

Congrats to both of you. Bet he's gonna enjoy eating that bird. :yes:

#11 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

Had Drumstick stew last night MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm Goood!!! That was some of the best I have ever had. Saturday will be BBQ Breast. :yes: :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users