It Ain't "traditional", But...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

I know many think Daniel Boone would probably scoff, but I purchased an "EC Unloader" (or "Saf-T-Unloader) CO2 powered muzzleloader unloader with flintlock adapter the other day. Honestly, I didn't expect it to work, but Bob (owner of "Shooter's Place" in Fallston, PA) convinced me they do. (I use a tight patch/ball combo - tighter even than most I know - that even with a good lube and solid, heavy brass rod still takes a bit to seat. To my surprise, the CO2 unloader not only worked, but it drove the patched ball and powder charge out with enough force that it made an audible "snap" against the tree stump I aimed at. (Mental note, aim at the ground from now on!)

The benefits? Well, of course, not having to go "BOOM!" every time you leave the woods is nice for stealth and also not having to foul your flintlock. I was able to just swab with a little alcohol chased by Hoppe's Elite gun oil when I got home and everything is beautiful. (No hot water bath necessary!!! :yahoo: )

It was also neat to be able to retrieve my lead ball. It was good to see first hand that it hadn't deformed in the loading process.

At any rate, after seeing this product work, I'm not so sure ol' Dan'l wouldn't buy two or three of them if he were still around!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

Jere How do they work on a flintlock. Do you have to remove the flash hole liner or not. But then again if I get one of those newfangled contraptions I won't get to shoot my flinter in the dark and watch the minnie fireworks show.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

Jere How do they work on a flintlock. Do you have to remove the flash hole liner or not. But then again if I get one of those newfangled contraptions I won't get to shoot my flinter in the dark and watch the minnie fireworks show.

I only own a flintlock. (No "evil" inline :rolleyes: ... Not even a capper.)

Posted Image

The tool has interchangeable nozzles for different arms. I bought a "kit" which came with the tool (72-5051) and a flintlock adapter nozzle (72-5057) for the tool. Mine was made by RMC. Depending on where you buy, you will either have the option of a "kit" or you may get just the tool and have to purchase the adapter(s) you need separately. PossibleShop.com appears to be temporarily out of stock on the flintlock adapter. MidwayUSA.com has it last I checked but they were clearancing them, so I'm sure supplies are limited.

The flintlock adapter (seen as 72-5057 above) slides right into the touch hole liner at the breech of the barrel. It is tapered so that no matter what size liner you have installed, you just insert until you get a snug fit. (No need to remove a thing unless you would happen to have an insanely small touch hole liner, I imagine.) Once there's a snug fit, you just "fire" the tool with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. You may feel the resistance wanting to push the tool back out of the touch hole liner. Just bare down as it only takes a few seconds for everything you loaded into the barrel to come flying out. :) (I still can't believe that .015 Ox-Yoke pillow tick patch just came busting out like it did. I have to stand on the ramrod to load those things. LOL)

Anyhoot, I'm sold. I'm apologize to all of the purists, but I just don't mind not having to boil Goex fouling off my gun after each and every time I step into the woods with my flintlock. :D
Oh, and, yes, I recycle my lead ball. (Yes, I'm that cheap. :lol: )

sig_admin.png

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

I live only a mile from where RMC is located. The former owner, Bob Rightnour, has been a good friend for more years than either of us will admit. I just did not know that one of those would unload a flintlock. On my inline I just unscrew the breach plug and push it out but that certainly does not work on a flintlock or sidelock percussion. I have wondered if my air compressor would do the same. I have a blowgun for the compressor that has a rubber tip and may try that as an unloader. I just fired my flinter as it has been loaded since Dec 26 and I really get antsy with it loaded and carried in some kinda rough weather. I had nothing to fear about as it went right off this afternoon but then again I had to clean it and reload it for tomorrow.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 04 January 2009 - 04:49 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Cool. Man, you're in then. Ask Mr. Rightnour to give you one for product testing. :lol:

Yeah, I'm not keen on leaving my muzzleloader loaded. I know it's legal and most do it. I mean, without any powder in the pan (and I always use my leather lock stall as well) the loaded gun should be no more "dangerous" than the pre-measured powder charges in my possible bag. But, something about actually leaving that gun "loaded" just still doesn't quite seem "safe". (Then, of course, there's the whole, "Did my powder take on moisture when I went from freezing temps outside to a warm truck cab?" etc.) I've always just fired it every hunt. Pain in the butt though. :doh2:

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users