• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

well, after 2 days of research and feedback from other forums,i am not switching back to aluminum. I want to get ideas from you all.i have about 75 bucks to put into a dozen,looking at the easton epic st or beman ics bowhunters shafts.my bow is single cam,67 lbs 29 in.figuring a 400 shaft. i shoot a 350 now,dont really like it,my bow is in tune.what works for you,arrows,vanes etc?

thanks,

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 RickyM

RickyM

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:02 AM

I have shot Gold Tips's for the last 4 years, and love them. I have shot the expeditions, xt hunters, and pro hunters. They are all great arrows for the money. Take a look at the 5575 xt hunters. I think you would be happy.

#3 PA SILVERBACK

PA SILVERBACK

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Archery Hunting, Anything with the Kids,Hunting with the Wife, Harleys, Anything Outdoors..

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

Axis 300's with 4" Vantecs .. 125gr Slick Trick Mags... The Best Combo I have released from any of My bows...
A mans Character is a sign of His Destiny

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

My fallow buck as you remember was the result of the Easton epic camo 400 and a G5 125 gr. striker broadhead. That broadhead flies better for me than most any of the others and I've tried a few. The epic arrows come with blazers vanes on them in most bow shops and they work pretty well for me. I fletch my own though. They don't cost a bunch either. I also shoot the gold tips Pro hunter 55/75 with blazers vanes and they are an excellent choice too, IMHO.

The NAP 2" speed hunter st vanes are good or the new twister vanes are suppose to be better. They don't curl or wrinkle being shot through a whisker biscuit rest.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

i'm with Rick on this one, I've shot a bunch of diffrent arrows looking for better and I keep coming back to my Gold Tip XT's 55/75.

i've got them set up with blazer vanes now...but honestly I dont see a diffrence from my 4 inch dura vanes to the blazers...infact I sort of like the 4 inch better. ( they just don't look as cool )
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Dave Watson

Dave Watson

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

OK. I hunt more than most so I can help you out here.

When I started bowhunting for a living. I bought orange Easton XX75's and fletched them myself. I went through 4 or 5 dozen a year. These days, I hunt twice as much. I bought a dozen CX Maxima's with Blazer vanes 2 years ago. I have 5 left. I pass through most animals. I throw the arrow in the bath-tub. Clean it up. Put on a new Rage and stick it back in the quiver.

Of course, most elk, moose and eland make that arrow toast. But who could ask for better performance? Not me.

Dave

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Good to know I'm not the only out there recycling my carbons! (Absolutely no reason not to if the pass the "flex test" after being cleaned up.)

When you say you're shooting "350s"... My question is, "350 What's? Carbon Express?" I know first hand that 350 Maximas were over-spined out of my Mathews XT and I shoot ~65# @ 30" draw length. I had to drop down to 250s, despite what the spine charts said, to get any kind of tune or good flight characteristics. That alone could be your issue.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you to shoot brand X, Y, or Z arrow. (Now, ask me about bows and I think you all know what my answer will be despite the fact that I own a few different brands even now.) But, I feel the CX Maxima is still one of the best arrows I've ever shot. I will say that the non "Buff Tuff" arrows from CX do not seem nearly as durable. But, as long as I see that diamond weave over-layer I know I've got an arrow that will perform at a level I am accustom to.

In all the years I shot GoldTip I never had a problem with them until they moved production to Mexico. But, from what I've seen they pretty much have that worked out. So, very good arrows there as well.

I was not a big fan of the ICS when I shot them. The slick surface was actually a sort of shellac/dip that would wear down, especially at the fletching end after a few re-fletches. Even with the ST Epics, even though I like their thinner diameter, I honestly believe you would get more "bang for your buck" out of some GoldTip arrows.

At least that's my two pennies.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

My last dozen of arrows has performed the best for me. Gold Tip Pro Hunter (camo) 55/75 with 2" Blazers and 100 grain tip.

However, I will be switching this year. Whether or not I get a Reezen, I want a much heavier arrow. I only used the arrow listed above on one animal. The arrow is in the 380 grain range, and I had a complete pass-through on a 240+ pound whitetail at 30 yards. But, I want something in the 450+ grain range, and it seems pretty unlikely I could get that from a Gold Tip. I might also change fletching too.

#9 PA SILVERBACK

PA SILVERBACK

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Archery Hunting, Anything with the Kids,Hunting with the Wife, Harleys, Anything Outdoors..

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

My last dozen of arrows has performed the best for me. Gold Tip Pro Hunter (camo) 55/75 with 2" Blazers and 100 grain tip.

However, I will be switching this year. Whether or not I get a Reezen, I want a much heavier arrow. I only used the arrow listed above on one animal. The arrow is in the 380 grain range, and I had a complete pass-through on a 240+ pound whitetail at 30 yards. But, I want something in the 450+ grain range, and it seems pretty unlikely I could get that from a Gold Tip. I might also change fletching too.

Here Ya Go Chrud...

Gold Tip Big Game

I was Talkin with JAVI a while Back and He gave Me a Build that would Make Me 600+ with these.... Insert weights,4" Vanetecs,Wraps and 125gr heads.... But You could get away from the insert weights to lighten them up ...

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

I am too old to shoot a regular bow anymore (read shoulder arthritis) but back in the day when I worked at a sports shop my advice to all bow/arrow purchasers was do not try to save money on arrows. If you must save do it elsewhere but the arrow is the most important part of your shooting/hunting setup. To illustrate I would say I could go outside and cut a stick for a bow and using quality arrows would actually get a group. On the other hand I could go out and cut a bunch of sticks for arrows and even using the best bow all tuned up would not get anything resembling a group. Infact I most likely would not be able to hit the side of a barn. This was pre carbon arrows.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

This is why ,HR is my favorite forum,Good points and well taken.I will do the best i can on a poor deputy sheriffs budget,ebay has some great deals on new sets,so its bidding time!!!
God bless,you all!!

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#12 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Here Ya Go Chrud...

Gold Tip Big Game

I was Talkin with JAVI a while Back and He gave Me a Build that would Make Me 600+ with these.... Insert weights,4" Vanetecs,Wraps and 125gr heads.... But You could get away from the insert weights to lighten them up ...

I haven't seen those before.

I hoping to be in the 450-475 grain range. I'll probably have to step up to a 125 grain head which is fine. I don't want the Reezen for 340 FPS. I want it so I can shoot a 450+ grain arrow in the 280-290 FPS range.

#13 PA SILVERBACK

PA SILVERBACK

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

I haven't seen those before.

I hoping to be in the 450-475 grain range. I'll probably have to step up to a 125 grain head which is fine. I don't want the Reezen for 340 FPS. I want it so I can shoot a 450+ grain arrow in the 280-290 FPS range.

I Know for a Fact that You won't want to Hear this, But I'm gonna tell Ya anyways ..LOL.... Axis will Put You right where You want to Be... But then again, My Arrows are 31" long...Axis with a 50gr insert weight should Do You Good, And SHOULD get You a decent FOC too

#14 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

I Know for a Fact that You won't want to Hear this, But I'm gonna tell Ya anyways ..LOL.... Axis will Put You right where You want to Be... But then again, My Arrows are 31" long...Axis with a 50gr insert weight should Do You Good, And SHOULD get You a decent FOC too

What are these weight inserts you keep mentioning? I've never heard of them. Are they similar to CX's weight tubes?

I am considering the Axis also. I keep my arrows pretty short, usually 27" or so.

I Know for a Fact that You won't want to Hear this, But I'm gonna tell Ya anyways ..LOL

You aren't talking about a couple years ago, are you? ;) :stir:

#15 PA SILVERBACK

PA SILVERBACK

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

What are these weight inserts you keep mentioning? I've never heard of them. Are they similar to CX's weight tubes?

I am considering the Axis also. I keep my arrows pretty short, usually 27" or so.

You aren't talking about a couple years ago, are you? ;) :stir:

Here Ya go Chrud.. They screw into the back of Your Insert..insert weights

Yeah, I was Talkin about a couple years ago :o)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users