9 replies to this topic

#1 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

First off (again) I would like to thank my Father PA RIDGE RUNNER for one of the most memorable flintlock seasons we have had in many years. I would not trade anything for this time of the year.

Now on to the hunt.....
Our flintlock muzzleloader season started the day after CHRISTmas and this year I decided to save my doe tag to hunt this majical time of the year (Why I say majical is some years the deer are just everywhere BUT some years we just can't find them) but this year would prove to be a wonderful season. The first day out (Friday) Pop and I decided to head to the mountain across the valley from our houses as we had lots of ice and we had to put screws in our boots to go anywhere, that and there is enough land that is flat so we walked the thick brush and pushed the low land. I saw a bunch of deer and turkeys but the deer would not cooperate so we came home empty handed. Saterday we decided to hunt the ridge up where I shot my turkey this fall.
Dad and I stayed together and walked the top to one of my favorit spots and we jumped a single deer, so we made our way down the ridge aways to try my can call and see if we could call that deer back to us.

But to our dismay it didn't work (so I thought) but as we sat there I seen movement down the ridge not 80 yards away, first I thought they were deer but as time went on they moved into the open and the deer turned into about 6 turkeys. :doh: :lol: . Now as we watched the turkeys time was clicking away and next thing I know I see 3 deer go from the woods to the top of the fields, (about 90 yards away) So I get ready if the come up our way, all of a sudden I see movement to my left and there stands 3 deer not 60 yards, so I raise my Lyman and put the bead on the 2nd deer as it was bigger than the others and squeezed, the deerstalker went off just like a rifle. After the shot tails went in every direction, as there were 10 to 15 white flags running away.
The doe I shot was running but not very good, so we waited and then the tracking was on. We found good blood to start but after about a mile of tracking the trail went cold. :ermm: :( .
I have not lost many deer but this deer just had a will to live and I had to live with the outcome.

Now Monday afternoon Pop and I decided to go back to that spot just before dark. As we sat there I could hear deer comming down below us (lots of ice) and then I look straight out from me and there stands a deer,I lift the lyman once again and it went off flawless but the man behind the trigger didn't make it happen. :help: I must have pulled as it missed it's mark.

Now up to last Thursday we went back to the mountain and all we saw were yep you guessed it lots of turkeys but no deer. (I think we will have a great spring here at home :D )

Now on to Saturday, Pop and I once again went on the ridge to where I missed the one but this time he sat at our spot and I put on a chase hoping to make his flinter smoke but it didn't work out that way. As I get to him I decided to sit and talk about just what to do next and as we discussed our plans someone must have jumped 2 deer from the other side as I seen them running but not in our direction. We went home for lunch and came up with another plan.
Now back up on the ridge but this time Dad walked the top and I walked the road 150 yards down off the top. We went to where we call the low place but just before I got there I jumped deer, I could hear them run but could not see them and it wasn't to long after a turkey came soaring from the top (jumped by Dad but he didn't see it) so I decided to walk to the low place where Dad was sitting waiting on me. We again walked to the other side of the ridge where I shot my 8 point last year, and sat there till dark. We wern't sitting more than an hour and I hear the crunch behind me so I turn around and there stands a group of deer. The wind was blowing right to them and they caught my scent and took off to my right but not alarmed. There is only about 15min left of shooting light so I decided to see if I could stalk up on them, I didn't have anything to lose. I walk so slow so I wouldn't brake through the ice. I make it to the top of the hump and jump up on an old stump and look in the direction the deer went and sure enough they wern't 80yards away just feeding. All of a sudden they start working their way to me.

Now the doe feaver starts to kick in and I ask the Lord again to calm me down and be with me through the shot. I pulled the hammer back and seconds later the first big doe came into an opening and I just squeezed the trigger and once again the lyman went off with a flash.
She went maybe 35yards and expired. Dad came over and we talked about this hunt and he helped me with the fieldressing and I used the old hunting knife that was my GrandPap Rices that we now make it a point to use as I like to think he is right there with us helping.
Now as Dad and I dragged this deer we would stop and talk about different hunts and just reminisce about hunts of old and I came up with a saying that REAL MEN SHOOT FLINTLOCKS and the woods just lite up in laughter (in the dark) by both of us. Dad my hat's off to you again as we have made another year of up's and down's but we did it again.
Here is a couple pics from Sunday as it took us almost 2 hours to drag her in the dark.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sorry for the long post but I love to hunt so much that I wanted you all to be there right with us. Thanks and God Bless.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

Great Story Eric ! Nice size doe to boot!
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

Great story and it sounds so familiar. Oh I was there. Yep so far this year is a banner year.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

This could be harmful to myself posting this when I'll be within rifle range of Eric by weeks end but....

I think you all should see him when he's not a mild-mannered citizen.

Nice doe...nice story...see-ya Thursday. (I was planning, pending on cloud cover and moon phase, to try for some coyotes at night...I have a portable spot and am working on a red filter.)

This is the five minute version...
Posted Image

Edited by Whistle Pig, 06 January 2009 - 10:14 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Yeah Seth I had to sneek up on those deer just as spide would have. :rofl:

And remember we will be close by each other in the dark. LOL
Things could go bump in the night!!!!!!!
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

:ermm: :artist:
Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

Yes but even spider man uses a flintlock. :D :o)
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:54 AM

:clap: Thanks - needed a smile to start my day!!!

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

WP I did miss this post, thanks for keying it for me.

Eric what a hunt you two had together and that Lyman flinty is ancient looking, like Mayflower stuff. I'm happy for the two of you sharing that hunt and using grandad's knife is something special, thanks for sharing all this with us. Just goes to show the kill isn't what's all about! ;) :peace:

Mark
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

A great hunt and an excellent story. It sure is nice to make venison, but its better to make memories sometimes too. You were lucky enough to do both.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users