• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

A whole bunch of us are meeting at the "Farm" for a two day flintlock muzzleloader coyote hunt. Man to hunt with the likes of Phil, Whistle Pig, Charles, Eric, Rodney, JGabel and even our esteemed leader Jeremiah and his dad. Just look toward Erie PA and you just may see plumes of white smoke eminating from both our rifles and the wheels of our 4wds as it may be a bit icy, it sure is around here in central PA. Man this is going to be fun.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Just a quick note, if you guys have an empty plastic 20oz bottle, this is a great peace offering for "Buddy" the ankle attacker. :rofl: He's mellowed out a lot since last season... and seems at ease with visitors.

I need to finish getting packed up and reclaim the family car as the man car, right after my wife is done with it that is. If anyone has an extra cordless spot, that'd be great... I can't seem to find my charging plug anywhere for mine. I have both a open and closed reed call for coyotes and foxes. (yes I did buy my furbearers license)
Posted Image

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

You can borrow mine, if you want to stop by, Seth. Have a great time.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:36 AM

Here I sit all broken-hearted. :cry:

Phil called this morning at 0'dark-30 to inform me that the weather situation up north was pretty treacherous and that they were expecting more snow/ice throughout the day. So, dad and I canceled.

To be honest, I was still considering going, but I couldn't see making Phil stick around on our account if he has a chance to get out of dodge early to avoid being trapped.

So, I guess now we look forward to the spring gobbler hunt. (Shouldn't be snow by then. :ermm: ) I intend to be there with bows on. (Mathews bows, that is. :D )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Sorry to hear the hunt was cancelled.. there is always next time they say. Of course they tell you that so you don't feel so terrible about missiong this time.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

You should have came Jer, it was fun enough. Phil somehow won the vote to come home tonight in a 1 to 4 vote. (He's was in the minority) Need Judd on here to continue that razz. Not to sure on what to call the next podcast... :P :smackhead: |(*,)

Edited by Whistle Pig, 09 January 2009 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

You should have came Jer, it was fun enough. Phil somehow won the vote to come home tonight in a 1 to 4 vote. (He's was in the minority) Need Judd on here to continue that razz. Not to sure on what to call the next podcast... :P :smackhead: |(*,)

I seriously considered still coming. I had to think on it, call my dad, and then call your dad back. At the end of the day, my biggest concern outside of getting stuck somewhere was over the thought that indeed y'all would want to break "camp" early to avoid being stranded but would feel obligated to stick around for the guests, myself included. (I had assumed that most others had canceled as well by the looks/sound of the weather forecast. I envisioned it being you and your dad alone standing in nose high snow with just your eyes shifting back and forth. LOL)

Oh well, all in all I think I'm okay with it working out as it did. My father and I ended up hunting a new location today and saw deer. (Got plenty of "tracking snow" too.) So, life is still good.

Glad folks are home safe!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

Ahhh...age & leg cramps begets wisdom.....or fretting more I guess. We got hammered with lake effect snowsqualls all morning.Local schools were cancelled and a car skidded off the road in front on Rodney's mom's house 1/4 mile from the farm. The icepack under 8" of new snow make using the Jeep impossible to use to get to the stands and the drifts were inseam deep. From the safety of the barn I watched Seth/Paul/Judd flounder through 1/4 mile of whitestuff going up the hill....I was waiting for Eric to finish his breakfast and comb his hair. The two of put on a few drives and did kick 3 doe out but they cut around us so no shots. The deer weren't budging from wherever they were holed up for the storm. Snow was knee deep in the woods...if you didn't break through the crust and have 6" inches under it to deal with. The sun did peek through after lunch for a short while and Cousin Lee was kind enough to haul 2 hunters up the hill in the 4wd tractor(I won't mention names but I got pics). I saw 1 doe while stillhunting but no shot and that was it for game sighting. With another 6-12" inches predicted for last night & today and hazardous driving expected I did feel that tucking tail and heading for home 200 miles away was the safest decision for us fathers/pappy's/poppy's to make. Yeah....I'm getting old I guess. :blush:

Edited by Phil, 10 January 2009 - 05:56 AM.

Posted Image

#9 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

Fun trip..... though SHORT!!!
Phil, the ol' timer, needed to come home to band camp, I mean to snuggle with momma.
I think that move got me a new buddie and might have gotten me out of trouble with that same little girl.
Sorry ya couldn't make it Jer.
Hope to hook up with ya at the spring gobbler fest.
Though the weather didn't get as bad as was being forecast, I think Phil made the right call.....that hurt right there to admit that Phil might have been right....LOL :doh:

#10 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Well just as we were leaving or close to that time I heard a young lad say something to the affect that it is hard to go through all the snow with a ball and chain around your leg. I will remember that saying by him for a very long time. :rofl: :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users