9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

How does the CVA Kodiak compare to Tradition's Yukon? Reason I ask I can get one heck of a deal on a Kodiak but not sure how good a rifle it is.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I have heard a lot of good reviews on the Kodiak. It is like shooting an Omega in design. Although those that own them claim the Winchester Apex which is the same rifle, but with a better stock is better. The Tradition's Yukon is a cam action breech. Its the same thing as the Remington Genesis I am currently testing.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

wow small world, i am weighing out the kodiak myself,the kodiak has won several awards. alot of places are selling out the kodiaks to make room for the new kodiak pros, which the only difference is fluted barrels and 29 inches on the pros as opposed to the 28 and non-fluted on the kodiak, models. the fluted barrel really means little to me as i dont shoot enough where barrel cooling is a problem.i have not found one bad review on the gun.i have put my card in my hand twice already to order one... :doh:

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

I looked at the Winchester too. Still weighing all my options but I'm leaning seriously towards the Optima Pro now. Got my eye on one with camo thumb hole stock and nickle barrel. Sure is a beauty. :D

#5 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

I looked at the Winchester too. Still weighing all my options but I'm leaning seriously towards the Optima Pro now. Got my eye on one with camo thumb hole stock and nickle barrel. Sure is a beauty. :D

I ordered the winchester apex in 45 caliber with ss barrel and black stock,should be here by weeks end. i was going to go with the kodiak but they didnt have the model i wanted. i have hunted with the .45 cals for years,they punch big holes!
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Yes the 45 cal does punch a big hole but a 50 punches a bigger hole yet. Also real men shoot flintlocks so my son says. Lol Let us know how that rifle shoots for you. I have read some good accuracy reports on them.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Yes the 45 cal does punch a big hole but a 50 punches a bigger hole yet. Also real men shoot flintlocks so my son says. Lol Let us know how that rifle shoots for you. I have read some good accuracy reports on them.

Now Paul, how many times do I have to tell that son of your's that "Real men" shoot .54s ;)

I still haven't settled on my new rifle yet. There's a big gun show coming up and Jason and I want to see what they have to offer. Jason's a big help in helping me choose a new gun. I realy want an Optima pro but am also considering a Wolf with camo stock and nickle barrel. Bass Pro has one for $219.00 The wolf has got some great recomendations by those who own one. Then too, Wal Mart has a Yukon package, scope and starter kit included, for $200. Black stock and blue barrel. (I'd prefer stainless or nickle barrel) I sold my Knight MK-85 and will get paid for that next week. That's a large chunk of my muzzleloader budget. Also have an old WW II bayonet on Ebay and that will add a good chunk to the budget too. Figureing I'll have right around $400 to spend if all goes well. This is probably the last rifle I'll ever buy so I'm being very, very picky. Gee when I first got into black powder years ago you could just about count on your fingers the number of choices you had in a muzzleloder rifle. Now, I can spend all day on the net looking at my options and still come across new ones I hadn't seen before. My main wants that are non-negotionable is; It must be weather resistant to a high degree. It must be accurate out to 100 yards. It must be easy to break down and clean. It must shoulder and carry well. It must be reliable. It must use the 209 primer and, gee I hate to say it but, it must be .50 so Jason and I can share shooting supplies.

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 January 2009 - 07:11 PM.

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

Now Paul, how many times do I have to tell that son of your's that "Real men" shoot .54s ;)

Norm as long as it is in a flintlock that's all that was said. :boone: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

You are right about the 54 shooting a bigger hole than a 50 but finding supplies for the 54 is a hunt unto itself.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Norm as long as it is in a flintlock that's all that was said. :boone: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:lol: You know I'm just yankin your chain bud. I give you and your dad a lot of credit for shooting those click, fizz, boomers. I'm a traditionalist at heart.

Paul, that's one big reason I'm switching from the .54 to the .50. Tired of searching for supplies and being limited to whatever few I can find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users