• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

I had given the Genesis a Bore Treatment yesterday and also pulled the scope and put it back on to see if it would return to zero. Then I remembered this was not Weaver QR mounts. These were plain old Traditions rings. But they looked like the Weaver QR rings in almost every detail. So I was real concerned I might have messed things up. But was glad to see the Genesis shot just about the same spot with the Thompson Center 1x32mm scope.

I started out with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the .44 caliber Hornady XTP in the green Crushed Rib sabots. On a clean barrel it threw the first one as I really did not think I flinched. Then I swabbed and shot, then shot without swabbing. The two times I did not swab are real apparent. Although it grouped very well with the swabbed barrel. For 50 yards and a 1 power scope, I was kind of happy.

Then I actually had to take the rifle into the house. The windex I was using in a pump spray bottle froze and would not work anymore. So I went in the house and swabbed the barrel clean so I could test some of the 350 grain Hornady FPB's. With a clean barrel I headed back out. Again, I was shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and that 350 grain conical.

The first shot kind of surprised me when it hit as high as it did. So I did not swab but loaded again. Loading was not all that hard except for the last inch, you had to push a little hard to make sure it was seating on the powder charge. I then fired four more without swabbing. The last one, #5 was kind of hard to seat. So instead of going back in the house and cleaning the barrel, I called it quits for the day. After all, I had a couple rifles to clean and had my fun... Posted Image

These FPB's I notice need to be centered over the muzzle real well and then a sharp rap on the short starter puts them right into the bore with little effort. After that they go down pretty easy. I want to do a lot more testing with these.

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users