#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

Yesterday I took the plunge on a new slug gun I have want to get for about a year. I purchased a new Remington 870 Deer with a smooth cylinder bore barrel with some of my summer lawn mowing money. I wanted to stop using my fully rifled barrel on my Mossberg because I was tired of have to get slugs for it at $2 or more each for 5 slugs and Mossberg doesn't make a smooth bore slug barrel for it. The Mossberg has now been promoted as my exclusive bird gun (I have a deer/bird combo).

I decided that I was going to switch to a smooth bore barrel for two reasons: 1. Foster slugs are much cheaper and 2. They still get the job done. I've never shot at a deer at more than 60 yards, which is completely doable with foster style slugs. It's defiantly not a hindrance to shoot the cheap slugs; the people I hunt with always shoot deer and it brings them down just as fast at the ranges we normally shoot at.

The Remington is shorter and much handier than my 535. It has a 4 inch shorter barrel which I like. Remington's open sights are also much better than Mossberg's. I can already tell this gun is going to be perfect for drives and close quarters. I'm going to have to get used to having the safety near the triggerguard though.

I purchased a saddle mount and mounted a Cabela's red dot sight also. I'm just waiting to have the real swivel stud installed and I will also have a sling on it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by runNgun, 11 January 2009 - 09:16 PM.

-Eric

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:54 AM

Nice gun Run! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

Nice rig, enjoy!! :clap:

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

The only downside I can see to this gun compared to my Mossberg is that the bluing isn't as nice, but I can live with that :)
-Eric

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

Wow now you have a choice of deer rifles. The 870 has been around longer than I have and that is saying something. The operation of todays production rifles seems to be just fine but I agree that the exterior looks are not what they used to be. Keep it cleaned and oiled and it should last you a lifetime. Let us know how she shoots.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

One of the reasons I like the red dot is because it is easy to take a snap shot if needed. Just pull up, put the dot on your target, and pull the trigger.

The 870 also has a myriad of aftermarket parts and accesories, which is very nice.
-Eric

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

Personally, I love the finish on my 870s. While it may not be all about "looks", the theory is that the sandblasted surface - with it's peaks and valleys - will hold gun oil in place against the metal. (Kind of like Parkerizing.) This should mean that you don't have to oil/silicone the gun practically every single time you so much as touch it (unlike a traditional blued finish).

I've let mine go for months without oiling the outside (provided I don't get caught in rain, naturally) and I haven't a spec of rust on either. The gun will actually lose it's mild "sheen" and actually look "dry" when it needs the outer surface oiled. Now that I use CLP on mine, it stays good to go even longer.

Very solid choice in firearms there, IMO. :thumbsup:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Yep nice rig you got there Eric, keep us in the loop as to how she shoots. :thumbsup:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#9 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

thats a very smart purchase eric,we have used the 870 for all my years in law enforcement it is a workhorse and will stack the fosters where you need em,i want to encourage you when you go to sighting her in, try to get your hands on the low recoil, tactical foster slugs, those will blow the stuffing out of a whitetail at 75 yards,not beat you to death and most importantly seem to be significately more accurate! that gun will service you for a lifetime,Good job!

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

Very nice Eric. I'm glad you were able to get it. We've seen you come a long way since you first joined us here. I've noticed you give out some pretty good advice yourself now a days. Sure wish we had more young people like you around. Hope that shotgun gives you years of enjoyment and maybe some day you can hand it down to son of your own.

#11 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can't get over how well it points and swings from the shoulder for me. Much better than my Mossberg. Anyone who is looking for a new smooth bore slug gun should defiantly look into the 870.
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users