• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hi Plains

Hi Plains

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hello, I am trying to find some information on hunting Mt. Lion. I am currently hunting in the Black Hills of SD, but believe any info on techniques would be helpful. Thanks!

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

Hi and welcome to the HR forums. Not too many lion hunters here that I know of, but that doesn't mean you won't get some good advice.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 Hi Plains

Hi Plains

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I thought it might be kind of thin with no other dedicated threads, but yes, hopefully something will come up. They are hard to hunt, so every little bit helps as I learn and expand my current knowledge of them. We can't use dogs in SD, so that makes it even more challenging. Snow coverage is thigh deep in some areas and non-existent in others, so tracking is tricky and e-callers are what most folks use, with limited success :)

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

I'll add my welcome also. I live in PA and we cannot even hunt the big cats here. They say we do not have any. Shucks to even hunt bobcats you need a special permit. We did have one member recently get one in I believe Colorado but as I recall they used dogs. Man if you cannot use dogs and the tracking is so spotty you are really limited in how to hunt them. I have not heard of anyone being successful in the calling department but hey it should work as they are a predator.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Hi Plains

Hi Plains

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hello and thanks PA Ridge Runner, yes, it certainly makes it challenging, but I don't mind, that's part of the fun. Right now it's just a matter of finding the right approach for me and the territory I am hunting & learning everything I can. Maybe you should join us cat hunters next season :) Take Care.

#6 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:05 AM

I shot one a few weeks ago in Colorado, but we used hounds. From my experience, tracking one without the use of dogs is going to be fruitless. I have heard of guys calling them in using high-pitched sounds such as woodpecker distress calls. However, I have predator called in a lot of areas that hold lions (for coyote and fox) and have never seen one in the wild unless it was bayed by dogs. Not great advice, but I just don't see a good way to tackle the situation. If you just want to hunt lions, I would reccomend heading to a state that allows hound hunting.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#7 Hi Plains

Hi Plains

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hello & nice job on your cat! Looks to be a pretty good size, hard to tell, but 75-110 or so? Male or female? And, using dogs, how long did it take?

I would love for SD to allow us to use dogs, but cat hunting is already a touchy subject around here, so don't see that happening any time soon. Until then, it will definitely be a challenge. I will just keep trying anything I can think of and using any info I can get from others, like the woodpecker call you mentioned. Or, head to Colorado!

Folks here are filling their tags, (13 killed, 8 were females) and I believe those hunters had spent a lot of time in the Hills the past year and were abe to really hone in on a particular cat's range and habits. We did have a place where that was the case, and were pretty excited, but the snow is so deep, just can't get to it, even with sleds & very, very little deer activity. This summer we'll scout more than 1 place, just to be sure. We are in a new place now and looking for a needle in a haystack, although we've come across a lot of sign, but no luck with the e-callers. But, as they say, a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work :)

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

You may want to touch base with your game warden or a game biologist and pick their brains for locales and techniques.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hey Hi Plains, are you interested at all in an outfitted hunt as an educatinal experience? I know a really good one here in Colorado and lion hunting is his #1 passion in life. He hunts off horseback using dogs and he is good.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#10 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:42 AM

My cat was 120 lbs, 7 foot, 4 years old. I hunted for 2 days and covered probably 13 miles before I got him. No horses or anything, just lots of leg work. Once you turn the hounds out who knows how long it will take, you may not find them for a week. We were fortunate that we made it back to the pickup within 12 hours of turning out both times. I was EXTREMELY lucky to get a cat in just two days. Takes a lot of guys several outings before they score. The guy I go with is good though. For the hunts he has been on (he has killed 40+ cats) if he turns the dogs loose he kills a cat 50% of the time he turns them loose. Going by his track record, chances are if you turn the dogs out twice, you've got a dead cat. Problem is that you can't always get snow (of the right amount) or cut a track (let alone a fresh one). I didn't go with an outfitter or anything, just a good friend who has experienced (and exceptionally good) lion hounds.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#11 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

hello and welcome to the forums most of the people ive heard of in the hills( im in Rapid City) have called them in from what im hearing the reason they moved toe season back besides the cub issue was because they didnt think there would be as much success and it would open the door for dogs to be used time will tell let me know if i can help i was going to hunt them this yr but been to busy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users