• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

When in the course of reloading you determine that a particular case is bad what do you do with it? I plan on recycling my bad brass and store them in a coffee can. But before I put them in there I always crush the neck and or shoulder of that bad case. I do that for two reasons. First I will not be tempted to go back and sort through the bad cases to see if there is one that can be maybe used one more time. Second I am assured that after that case leaves my possession no one else will be tempted to use it either. Plus I do a little reloading of wildcat cartridges which are made or reformed from a parent case. My 219 Donaldson Wasp cases are not stamped as such but are stamped 219 Zipper or 25-35 or even 30-30 but are no longer that. I do not want someone picking up those cases and think they can use them. Crushing the neck of the case is just a little practice that I do to keep me and others safe.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

PA it's a small world. I have crushed bad cases for years so no one else can use them. Just run the press up and crush.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#3 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

I have two boxes under my loading desk. One is for brass that I have picked up or been given that I don't use and the other is for brass that is no longer use full. The box with good brass gets inventoried when it starts to get to much in it and the brass is offered to reloaders. I have shipped brass all over this country. The box of brass that is not loadable doesn't have very many in it. No one gets under my desk so I don't worry about storing it there.
MR300WM

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Joe what about when you discard those unshootable cases and a reloader happens to be a sorter in the recycling plant picks out some of your bad cases for his or his buddy's use. Rendering that case unusable is exactly why I do that little chore.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

You know. Honestly I never thought twice about simply chucking unusable brass. I guess sometimes, especially with belted cartridges it's not so obvious why it's junk.

I simply couldn't fathom using brass that I didn't know it's origins. Once fired in my gun or brand new is all I ever used. To me using a comb you found in a public restroom urinal is safer than unknown history brass. It just never occurred to me that all reloaders didn't feel the same.

But point well taken, protecting dumpster diving dummies IS the right thing to do. It really never occurred to me someone might try to reload the stuff.
Posted Image

#6 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:04 AM

If I ever get around to recycling the box of bad brass it will be HAMMERED.
Joe
MR300WM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users