10 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Well, me and Jason had to go to Springfield today so while there we stopped in at Bass Pro. They had just gotten a bunch of Optima's in and I found one I liked. Got a great deal on it and even
had enough money left to buy a new scope to go on it. Here's what I bought;

Optima Pro, .50 cal, thumbhole stock, Claw sling

Red Head Ascent Muzzleloader 3x9x40 scope

I still have to pick up a set of base mounts for the scope. It lists for $80 and I got it at their outlet store, with rings, for $40

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm a happy camper. :D Anyone know who makes the scopes for Bass Pro's Red Head series?

Edited by Spirithawk, 18 January 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

nice looking setup there Norm now youll have to let us know how it shoots
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thanks bud. Jason has an Optima 209 and I shot it. I was very impressed with it's accuracy so I exspect good things from my Pro. Will hopefully get the scope on it this Tuesday.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

Oh boy a new toy that has to make you feel good.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

that's a real nice looking outfit you have there. I am sure it will be a good shooter. I have to go to town tomorrow, and I will check the Wal Mart ... sure hope everything is sold off.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

I think I'll really like it. It has some nice features; 29 inch fluted magnum barrel, 1:28 inch twist, bullet guide muzzle for easy accurate loading, completely encased 209 ignition system, stainless steel breech plug, thumbhole stock with ambidextrous cheek piece, Crush Zone recoil pad, fiberoptic sights. Plus you can change the barrels, like on my Encore, but a whole lot less exspensive to do on the Optima. Can buy a barrel for half the price of a T/C barrel. Thinking of getting a .243 barrel for it. I can hardly wait to get the scope mounted and get it sighted in. Feel like a little kid. :lol:

#7 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

Nice Norm real nice, hope You are going to have lots of fun with it!!

Oh yea Hugs to Phyllis!!
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#8 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

I think I'll really like it. It has some nice features; 29 inch fluted magnum barrel, 1:28 inch twist, bullet guide muzzle for easy accurate loading, completely encased 209 ignition system, stainless steel breech plug, thumbhole stock with ambidextrous cheek piece, Crush Zone recoil pad, fiberoptic sights. Plus you can change the barrels, like on my Encore, but a whole lot less exspensive to do on the Optima. Can buy a barrel for half the price of a T/C barrel. Thinking of getting a .243 barrel for it. I can hardly wait to get the scope mounted and get it sighted in. Feel like a little kid. :lol:

thats beauty,i smell backstraps a sizzling now!! :clap: as far a centerfire barrels on those optima pros,i didnt think they exchange to cf,thought it was just the optima elite models....my friend mike hunts with an optima they are great muzzleloaders!!

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

thats beauty,i smell backstraps a sizzling now!! :clap: as far a centerfire barrels on those optima pros,i didnt think they exchange to cf,thought it was just the optima elite models....my friend mike hunts with an optima they are great muzzleloaders!!

Bill

After some checking it seems you are right. Only on the Elite can you change to a centerfire barrel. I was told wrong. I still like the features on the pro though. You can however change muzzleloader barrels on the pro according to what I read. Does't really matter to me. The Optima Pro .50 fills all my muzzleloader needs, and as far as centerfire, my T/C Encore .270 takes care of everything else. It is confusing when you have the Optima 209, Optima Pro and Optima Elite. Kind of iritating that the guy at Bass Pro didn't tell me any differant when I mentioned maybe putting a centerfire barrel on the Pro. Funny thing is, you can buy center fire barrels that are advertised that they are for the Optima Pro and no mention of the Elite. Think I'll give CVA a call and find out for sure.

Edited by Spirithawk, 19 January 2009 - 04:18 PM.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

Got my scope on her. Gonna see if she'll go boom next time Jason comes by.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

Just a word of advice for anyone buying a new scope for their muzzleloader. You should pass on Bass Pro's Read Head Ascent scopes like the one I bought for my Optima. The problem is that you have to have your eye right up to the lens to be able to see through one. Not a safe situation! Particularly if you're shooting magnum loads. I bought one and soon realised the design flaw. I then looked on Bass Pro's site and read the feedback on the scope. Other's found the same problem. I'm taking mine back and getting my money back. Jason has a Bushnell Banner on his Optima and loves it so that will be what I buy next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users