3 replies to this topic

#1 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

Another duck season has come and gone. This year was one of my best years even though it got off to a very slow start. Cooper and Wylie performed very well and I could see all my hard work paid off but their training is far from over. :)

Here is part of my setup on one of the coldest days I hunted. When I left the house it was 28 degrees when I left this spot it was 5 with a nice brisk wind. Out of the picture on the left are a few floating dekes. My partner and I only got a couple this day but we left early because of the weather.
Posted Image

Here is another setup I had a week or so later. It's hard to tell but there is one hen decoy out there. That was all I needed. It was one of those, less is more things. I had a nice mixed bag. Mallards, Gadwalls and a Barrows Goldeneye. I'm not really a driver duck fan but the Goldeneye just about went on the wall.
Posted Image

Here is a picture of a Barrows Goldeneye that I took last spring when birds were working their way north. I threw this in so you could see one in case you haven't before.
Posted Image

Now this is the hunting I love. My girls and I went duck hunting two days in a row and got a limit of greenheads both days. We were hunting in a field so I was able to setup a blind with a heater and chairs and we sat there calling ducks, eating swedish fish and drinking gatorade. The second day the temp dropped to 10 but they stuck it out like they had done it a million times before. They both rate their favorite parts of the day in this order; 3. Watching the ducks walk around. ( I wasn't shooting hens so often they would land only a few yards away and we would watch them feed, quack and walk around.) 2. Taking our shoes off. ( during the second day when their toes would get cold they would take off their boots and socks and warm their feet up with the heater.) 1. THE SHOOTING. . . They've taken the bait and after one more season I'll set the hook. :) Kids are so darn cool at 3 and 6.
Posted Image

Coopers shining moment came at the end of day just before shooting ended. I shot a mallard but instead of falling from the sky he flew a little then fell from the sky. The bird ended up falling in unharvested corn with about 6" of fresh snow. We went to the area of fall and started out like we do in training when we are hunting for dead birds. We went through it once with no luck and I was pretty sure I had lost the bird but the second time through his nose picked something up and took him out of the area I marked and right to the bird. I love a dogs nose who knows.

Wylie did great for his first year. He retrieved several ducks had good blind manners and could spot birds coming a mile away but his best retrieve was on a goose. I had shot a goose and only winged it but fortunately Wylie is all about business. When the goose stood up and started to walk I sent him on the retrieve. He hit that goose at a dead run picked it up and brought it right in. It was kind of fun to tell my partner that was the first goose ever.

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

Great pics and loved reading about the season highlights ! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Thanks Phil.

Here are a couple of other pictures that I forgot about. The first one makes me laugh because at the time we took the picture the kids & dogs were a little on the goofy side. I think it must have been because they all were so quiet and still in the blind. It also reminded me that I didn't get two days of greenheads there was one that just thought he was a mallard. Do you all know what kind of duck it is?
Posted Image

And here is a picture of Wylie hoping for one more bird.
Posted Image

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:03 AM

I'll bet you'll need a wider angle lense to catch all the action in couple years when the girls start taking their own shotguns! :fudd:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users