17 replies to this topic

#1 woodswalker

woodswalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Trad archery,Trapping and woodscraft

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:30 AM

Lets see pics or a story of the best shots youhave seen with a trad bow.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Byron Ferguson

Who can pick just one?

The last one where he has his wife throwing up aspirin would be my top pick if pressed.
I remember seeing it for the first time many years ago when TNN (The Nashville Network) was still a viable television network in most everyone's home. They had a great outdoor block of programming on weekends. I believe the show was "American Shooter" hosted by Jim Scoutten.
Incredible!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

I second that Jeremiah, Byron is on "Impossible Shots" on Wednesday evenings on the ODC with Benelli's shotgun shooter Mr. Knapp and some other handgun greats. Very enjoyable and incredible shooting by Byron and all the trick shooters on the show.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

The best instinctive shot I've ever personally witnessed was made by my original archery mentor TNT(nickname).

I was fishing for carp in a creek that was known to hold piles of them in Alabama. TNT sat beside me with his recurve, rigged out with a reel and fish arrow.

I hooked one and as soon as I got it to the surface TNT drilled it in the head with a fish arrow while I was still fighting it!

"Who needs a landing net?", he laughed.

After that I got a bow and started shooting with him. I learned a lot from him and he got me started into serious bowhunting. That was over 25 years ago! Yikes, suddenly I feel old.

Edited by Leo, 22 January 2009 - 10:54 AM.

Posted Image

#5 woodswalker

woodswalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

I meant that you have seen in person. I.E. hitting a dove in mid air and so on.

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

I meant that you have seen in person. I.E. hitting a dove in mid air and so on.

Oh, in that case I can't really comment as I don't have any friends or family who shoot "traditional" gear enough to observe them on hunts etc.

I do happen to think that every time I manage to hit the backstop with a recurve beyond 20 yards is the best shot I've ever personally witnessed though. :P

So, how about you?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

A friend of mine instinct shot a quail in mid-flight while we were hunting rabbits....he almost stepped on it and it got up right in front of him.....We both had judo points, so it was pretty impressive.

I killed a wigeon with my compound at 57 yards....ask Huck or R.L....they are my witnesses....it was sweeeet.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:39 AM

I once witnessed my Bro-in-law shoot a grouse with his hunting recurve. The grouse was perched in a tree. He dead centered it with a broadhead. That little bird somehow recovered enough to fly off so my bro-in-law was out the bird and the arrow as it kept on going too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

Don't know if this qualifies but I grew up shooting a bow. When I got married my brother-in-law was teasing me about my bow. We were on a farm and there was a scarecrow about 60 to 70 yards away behind us. I'd had enough of his teasing and so suddenly notched an arrow, spun around and let it fly. I hit the scarecrow dead center......of it's crotch! It was funny. The scarecrow actualy folded in half and fell over. My brother-in-law ceased his teasing and never teased me again about my bow. Other than that I use to hunt rabbits with my bow and shoot them on the run. I'm still a pretty good instintive shot. I shoot using my fingers and never could get the hang of a release. I think everyone should at least give instinctive shooting a try.

#10 woodswalker

woodswalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Since I mostly shoot on my own time I haven't seen that many good shots. I did have an interesting shot happen last night during league. I lost focus on a target and the arrow was going to hit way to the right of the target. But about three fourths of the way down it hit a beam and ricochet directly into the center of my target. Completely random luck, though I claimed I was trying to be a Byron Ferguson.

#11 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

Kid: LOL, you are one lucky trad shooter, at least on that one. Now, next time, lets see if you can hit the X ring the right way. Best to you in the league shoot ! HH in Pa :boone:

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

An older gentleman wanted to get into archery but had no experience. My former bro-in-law sold him a very expensive recurve Hoyt target bow from his shop. He also had a 20 yd target range in his basement. The last ten feet or so of the range was only about 6 feet wide and had a row of shelves on one side which my sister used for canned goods. Old Tom was a bit aprehensive about shooting there but after we did a bit of coaching he was ready for his first shot. He actually drew and held very well but totally collapsed on the release. He took two cans of cat food right off the shelf. We two coaches did our best to remain professional and not laugh but man it was hard. Several months after that we got together and he was shooting pretty well and we all had a good laugh over the cat food. I was good friends with that man till he died and never failed to bring the subject of cat food up. Infact one night I was practicing at the range next to the shop and Old Tony showed up to practice. I let him get all ready to shoot and called a stop on the range. I then went forward and put a peeled off cat food label over his target. Man we all had a good laugh about that.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 14 February 2009 - 08:50 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

If I was able to pick from the list of archers that are no longer with us, and those that I''ve seen on old film clips, I'd say Howard Hill. Fred Bear was no slouch either in hunting situations.

Many of you may say that you've never seen any of Howard Hill's shooting prowess, but think back if you've ever seen one of the old movie versions of Robin Hood. I think it was the one with Earle Flynn somewhere in the 30s, 40s or early 50s. It was the one where the arrow was split down the middle at a shooting competition. Well there was no trick phototography and very few, if any more than one take of that shot that was performed by Howard Hill himself before an onlooking crowd and on camera if memory serves me right.

Ya I saw Byron Ferguson make that same shot on "Impossible shots", but there were quite a few takes before he was able to split that arrow, plus the arrow was not an ordinary arrow. If you look close at the picture of the arrow being split, you'll notice a modified arrow nock and blunt arrow end (not tapered) allowing for a much greater chance at splitting the arrow. It allows for a little more room for error.

I used to watch some of my friends at the shooting range who were trying to split an arrow. And yes I actually saw them do it (with a compound), BUT, a "Robin Hood" (a split arrow shot) is a shot where the first arrow is sitting exactly in the center of the target bullseye, and the second shot splits the arrow down the center. Well what my buddies would do, is just keep shooting arrows at the target until one finally split any one of the multitude of arrows that were clustered in and around the target. There might have been 40 or 50 arrows sticking in that target before one actually split another. I don't call that a "Robin Hood"! That's just "flock shooting"!

I also read a story where a movie director (60 or 70 years ago) was looking for an archer to to do some "impressive" shooting for him in preparation for a movie he was going to make. A champion target shooter was recommended, who when he launched a series of arrows into the target, struck the bullseye with every shot. The director looked at him and said, "Is that all there is?", indicating that it was fairly boring from an entertainment perspective.

The champion target archer responded by saying, "What else did you expect? I hit the bullseye with every shot! If you want more than that, then I guess you want Howard Hill!".

"Howard Hill?!", responded the director. "Who is he and where can I get in touch with him?".

Needless to say, Howard Hill became the special affects archer for a few movies. I even read once where he did some shooting in a western movie and played an indian (oops sorry, native north american) and was required to shoot a longbow, from horseback, while at a gallop and had to hit a cowboy riding in front of him who had a metal plate covering his back with plywood on the outside of the metal plate. And he did it!.......So I'm told!

He was also the first white hunter in Africa to take the Big Five with archery equipment. He also took a few of the Big Five at full charge, and stood his ground....with a longbow.........and killed I believe, on two occassions, a cape buffalo and also a lion...at full charge!!!!!!!.

He also did the "trick archery" circuit where he shot coins out of the air from a silver dollar on down to a dime and then to an aspirin.

He was noted for the heavy poundage longbows that he shot. He typically shot a 100 lb longbow if memory serves me right.

Howard Hill! He was "DA MAN!!!!!!".

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#14 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Oh ya, I used to shoot trad equipment too. I started shooting / hunting with a recurve some 37 or 38 years ago. I wasn't what you'd call a trick shooter, nor was I even near the top of the "A" list.....or "B"....or even "C" list of archers at that time, but I could usually hit a deer at 20 yards with some consistancy.

I once recall shooting at the local rifle range with my recurve. No one else was there when I arrived so I put up a target near the back stop and practised for an hour or so before anyone else came along. It was a bunch of muzzleloaders wanting to do a little shooting. I immediatlely relinquished the range to the gunners and opted to stay a while a watch them shoot. After a few shots at 50 yards, the smoke polers asked if I'd like to take a few shots with my bow as they'd like to see what I could do with it.

I knocked an arrow, and let fly at a pepsi carton some 50 yards away against the back stop. The arrow flew true and punctured the center of the pepsi emblem circle in the center of the carton. I'll have to say that I was even more shocked than the five muzzleloaders who all were uttering, "WOW! What a shot!"

As they turned to me to see if I could emulate another bullseye, I started putting my bow away. They said, "HEY! Let's see you do that again!".

"Nope", I said. "I just made a perfect shot. I can't do any better than that. The only thing I can do from this point on is get worse, so I'll quit while I'm ahead!".

Was I the greatest archer these guys had ever seen? They might have thought so, but only I knew that it was the god of horse shoes smiling fondly on sunless cheeks that allowed me to pull off that shot!!!!!!!!!!! :blush: :D :boone:

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#15 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

That shot by Byron on Impossible Shots where he called a Robbie with the long bow - beats everything I've seen.

Met Frank Addington at the Deer and Turkey Expo in Indy a couple years ago and he was shooting asprins out of the air while shooting the recurve behind his back - pretty impressive. No camera trickery when you're standing there watching him. Pretty cool stuff.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users