5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Ok, I know this is a dumb question, but not my first nor my last. :lol: I just put a new scope on my new Optima Pro. Had to remove the rear sight because the scope lies so close to the barrel. I put the screw that held it on back into the screws hole in the barrel. Sticks up a bit but clear of the scope. There in lies the problem of my question. The scope lies so close to the barrel that you can see the front sight through it. No real biggy, but is a bit distracting, sooo, remove the front sight right? Now, if I do that do I need to put a screw in the hole of the screw that holds the sight to the barrel? If so I'd prefer one that fits flush and doesn't show. Not sure where to find such a screw.

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 January 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

Actually that is a pretty good question. First of all yes you should put a screw in any empty hole on the firearm especially those from sight removal. Those screw holes are sticking up and will collect junk and especially moisture. They can rust and ruin the threads because the hole is not blued. many sporting goods stores that mount scopes and the like most likely will have a whole box full of ones taken out and will either give you ones to fit flush or only charge a few cents for them. A local gunsmith may have the same.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

You absolutely should fill the holes with screws when you take a site off.

But please take note. Sometimes you will have to get shorter screws than the ones you took out to fit right. Ones that bottom out and stick out some seem to rust in place much easier than ones that fit flush and snug.
Posted Image

#4 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

Norm

I did the same thing with mine, when I bought it I found a small zip lock bag that had 4 screws in it to replace the ones for the sights, if yours did not come with them call CVA and they will send some out to you, I had to do that also with Sherris as hers did not have them with I bought the rifle, CVA had them in the mail the next day

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Mine came with the bag with four screws but figured they were for the drilled holes for the scope if you chose not to mount one. I tried them in the sight holes and they just don't fit. Just a hair too big. Didn't want to try to force them. I'll give CVA a call. Wanna talk to them about that cheap ram rod anyways. :lol: Thanks guys, that was what I figured.

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 January 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

I called CVA and told them of my problem. The guy was very nice and told me I was correct, the screws that came with the rifle only fit the holes for the scope mounts in case you didn't want to mount a scope. He said I needed sight screws and they were a mere .50 apiece. I told him I needed 4, two for my Optima Pro and two for Jason's Optima 209. He then told me he'd send them to me free, no charge what so ever. I thanked him and got the screws 4 days later. They fit perfectly and flush with the barrels. I'm a happy camper. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users