8 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

Here's the situation. My new Optima Pro came with an extendable aluminum ramrod. After just a few uses it looks like heck on the rifle. It Scratches super easy and I don't like the idea of leaving parts of the ramrod behind in the barrel every time I use it. Plus Jason's Optima 209 came with one and it bent beyond use almost right away. He complained to CVA and they sent him a new extendable composite ramrod free of charge. However, when I called CVA they don't even make one to fit the Optima Pro. Now I can buy a universal composite ramrod, most anywhere, and cut it to fit under the barrel. Simple enough but the ramrod is barely long enough to load the gun without the screw out extention which you also need to be able to run a cleaning patch down the full length of the bore. Sooo, my question is this. Anyone know where I can find an extendable composite ramrod for an Optima Pro? I believe the original is 25 3/4" closed and 27 5/8 open.

Edited by Spirithawk, 16 March 2009 - 02:57 PM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Check the Possibles Shop ;)

They have Delrin Rods (SUPER TOUGH)

Possibles Shop

Edited by Leo, 28 January 2009 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Check the Possibles Shop ;)

They have Delrin Rods (SUPER TOUGH)

Possibles Shop

Been there, done that. They have nice ramrods but the same problem. None are extendable. :help: Without the exstention screwed out the ramrod drops out of sight down an emty barrel making it impossible to swab between shots.

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 January 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

I guess I don't understand what extendable means. Can't you just get one tapped on both ends and a T-Handle?
Posted Image

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

I guess I don't understand what extendable means. Can't you just get one tapped on both ends and a T-Handle?

A T handle might work. Good idea Leo. Think Jason has one, I'll see. By extendable I mean the jag end is attatched to a metal rod which slides up into the ramrod. With it screwed in the ramrod is the right length for carrying under the barrel. For cleaning, swabbing the barrel and extra leverage for loading, you twist the jag and the rod slides out and locks in place adding almost an extra 3" to the length of the ramrod. Clear as mud? :lol: My Knight MK-85 had one too but the ramrod was a sturdy composite. The Optima's ramrod is not much more than a glorified cheap curtain rod. Hollow, very thin walled and a mighty poor excuse for a ramrod.

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 January 2009 - 09:06 PM.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Call Cains Outdoors http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/ and check out their super rods. They are top quality. Give them a phone call (1-800-445-1776 ) and talk to the owners, Ed or Scott. If anyone has one or can put you onto one, they can. They even used to manufacture things for people. Very nice people to deal with as well.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

Call Cains Outdoors http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/ and check out their super rods. They are top quality. Give them a phone call (1-800-445-1776 ) and talk to the owners, Ed or Scott. If anyone has one or can put you onto one, they can. They even used to manufacture things for people. Very nice people to deal with as well.

Thanks bud. Will do.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Solved my ramrod problem. I'm ordering one of the derlin rods and cutting it to fit under the barrel. For the extra length I need to swab and clean the barrel I'm getting one of T/C's extended jags. It's a longer than normal jag and will give me that extra reach needed. I can just carry it in a speed loader tube when in the field. That way I'm not stuck trying to find a rod of the right length to fit under the barrel, and that is also threaded on both ends, like I'd have to have if using a T handle. I still think it's very cheap of the companies that make a very nice rifle to put a cheap flimsy aluminum ramrod on it. Not only do they get all scratched up, and look terrible, but all that aluminum scratched off is left in your barrel.

Edited by Spirithawk, 07 June 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

I did check at RMC Sports but the only extendable rod he had was an original rod for the Optima Pro and that would just be more of the same that you already have.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users